Why Attend A Second Look

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ridethecliche

Meep Meep Meep
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a new thread so as to not clutter the one on 2nd look dates.

I'm genuinely curious why people attend second looks and what current med students gained from attending these events.

Did you ever rearrange your school 'ranking' due to experiences from second look? If so, why?

To be clear: My purpose in this thread is to
A) Figure out if my views on the low utility of second look is valid.
B) See what students should look for and evaluate during second look visits to get the most of their time there should they choose to attend.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
To start things off here's @Ismet .

1) most people who attended 2nd look for my current school ended up being my classmates. Usually you only attend a couple second looks, so the chances are pretty high that you're interacting with a lot of future classmates. Also you interact with upperclassmen. I judged my class dynamic on the people I met at second look and it was pretty spot on.

2) I did change an opinion after attending 2nd look. I had been considering 2 schools fairly equally and after attending the other school's second look, I was really put off by the dynamic with the acceptees and current students. My current school also had better opportunities, but there had been other things about this other school that made me seriously consider it. You might think fit is a "cushy" feel, but it makes a difference to some people.

Thanks for making a new thread.

The obvious responses from the other thread were: A chance to meet one's potential classmates; a chance to get acquainted with the location; a chance to ask tougher questions than those that would be comfortable to ask on interview day.

I would not be too surprised to hear from current students that the utility of these visits is relatively low. Personally, though, I like to make decisions with as much context as is available. Spending a day or three in a state/city/campus/dorm where I expect to spend four years feels to me like a easy choice for a short spring vacation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's also the opportunity to scout housing options and find potential roommates --

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't give 2 ****s about any of the second look days I could have gone to. I narrowed it down to between 2 schools, and I knew people at both already who told me what the student bodies were like. I chose the less cutthroat school. Second look day would have told me nothing I didn't already know.

If you want honest opinions and don't have contacts, just ask current students. You can find them on here or on Facebook. I've received a few of these messages, and I'm always very candid. I think others would be happy to help you as well. Save the gas money.

I went to some driving distance second looks mainly for free food. Ended up going to a school very far away. I don't regret not going to second look for my actual school.

I'm genuinely curious why people attend second looks and what current med students gained from attending these events.

Did you ever rearrange your school 'ranking' due to experiences from second look? If so, why?

B) See what students should look for and evaluate during second look visits to get the most of their time there should they choose to attend.

Thanks!

No experience doing second looks yet, but since I'm asking my SO to move with me she deserves to get a sense where we are going to live for 4 years. We're planning on attending two (if accepted at the second one) in cities that we are not familiar with.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you guys think it would still be worth going to second look weekends even if the main factor in one's final decision will be the financial aid packages, which I presume are not available until after second look?

Do you guys think it would still be worth going to second look weekends even if the main factor in one's final decision will be the financial aid packages, which I presume are not available until after second look?
I'd go so I can meet my potential future classmates. And possibly find roommates if the school ends up being where I matriculate. Of course, this doesn't apply if one's accepted schools all have the same second look date (*cough*April 10-12*cough*). No point in going to the cheapest school possible if you don't fit in with the rest of your classmates and would be miserable for 4 years.

Since my cohort would be so small (24 students), I would go just to familiarize myself with my potential classmates! I'm super excited about second look!

so what i gather is that you can just get info from upperclassmen about schools in lieu of flying across the country? :) i'm spent after this application season and i might be abroad, so i've really been hesitant to attend 2nd looks.

Since my cohort would be so small (24 students), I would go just to familiarize myself with my potential classmates! I'm super excited about second look!

You set on Drew? If so, that is awesome! Looks like an amazing program. (And you won't have to pay a fortune in plane flights just to get to second look ;) ).

I'm curious about the suggested attire for second look events. Obviously a full interview suit is not necessary, but I don't want to be that guy that shows up totally underdressed! Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious about the suggested attire for second look events. Obviously a full interview suit is not necessary, but I don't want to be that guy that shows up totally underdressed! Suggestions?
Usually they just say casual, as in no jeans or tshirts.

Usually they just say casual, as in no jeans or tshirts.
Business casual or shorts casual? I'd really not want to wear long pants if I'm attending second look when it's hot outside.

Business casual or shorts casual? I'd really not want to wear long pants if I'm attending second look when it's hot outside.
Well up in the northern states where I'll be attending I probably won't have to worry about that in March/April. But for warm weather schools I would probably wear khaki shorts and a polo or button down shirt.

I'd still bring a business casual set of clothes in case you go out. Our second look schedule usually involves everyone going out to dinner downtown followed by an "unofficial" night out at a bar/club. You'd probably look a little out of place in jeans and a t-shirt. But not every school will have this kind of event, so it may not be applicable to you. You certainly don't need to dress up for the run-of-the-mill events.

@hellanutella Yeah...pretty set lol! That's also a plus! Just a 10-20 minute drive for Second Look. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe if you don't go they won't think you're serious about attending and thus less incentivized to give you a generous aid package...

How likely is this to be a factor in their decision making? I wasn't able to make my two state schools' second looks (although they have given me small scholarships already), and probably won't make any others due to cost and time constraints. I don't know anything about how the financial aid office works, so this is probably a silly question for me to ask (and maybe you were being sarcastic)!

Definitely sarcasm.

Anecdotally my school usually mentally adjusted the yield predictions based on second look attendance, but that was not in any way connected to financial aid

Haha I was hoping you were, but you never know! That makes sense, thanks!

Do you think it's necessary to go to a second-look day? I am currently accepted at one OOS school and am contemplating whether or not to go. I want to learn more about the school and meet potential classmates/find roommates, but at the same time flights are a bit pricey and I am trying to save up for tuition/housing expenses. I would appreciate any advice, thanks!

@ridethecliche -- do or did you truly believe that there's little to be gained from visiting a campus, meeting potential classmates, and asking current students and faculty serious questions? Do you think there's a better way to help accepted applicants make their decisions? Do you think there is a better way for accepted applicants to approach the decision process?

The benefits I and others mentioned seem valid and, I think, self evident. I'm curious why you think there is "low utility" to 2nd look days.

Do you think it's necessary to go to a second-look day? I am currently accepted at one OOS school and am contemplating whether or not to go. I want to learn more about the school and meet potential classmates/find roommates, but at the same time flights are a bit pricey and I am trying to save up for tuition/housing expenses. I would appreciate any advice, thanks!

If you know that you're going to attend this school, then no, I wouldn't say it's "necessary." Our school does a roommate survey to help people find roommates within the class, and it wouldn't surprise me if other schools did the same. If the price is too much, then I would skip on it. You're not going to miss anything truly important.

@ridethecliche -- do or did you truly believe that there's little to be gained from visiting a campus, meeting potential classmates, and asking current students and faculty serious questions? Do you think there's a better way to help accepted applicants make their decisions? Do you think there is a better way for accepted applicants to approach the decision process?

The benefits I and others mentioned seem valid and, I think, self evident. I'm curious why you think there is "low utility" to 2nd look days.

Because what you're seeing is a super curated view of the school that's being tailored to impress and increase yield of student matriculation, yes, I do think 2nd look is a waste. It's to get a good touchy feely feeling which has nothing to do with how med school will go there. Some of the very 'classmates' you meet at 2nd look will matriculate elsewhere. It's really bizarre to me that people think that this actually gives any more information than 'hey this school has a great marketing schtick'...

Impressions are definitely important, but I'm hesitant to say that such a curated view of the school actually has any long term impact in helping students why a school is right for them.

Important factors for me are: Location, size of student body, residency programs at the school, size and type of home hospital (and proximity to school), etc.

I've only been admitted to one school, so it's a wash for me haha.

Because what you're seeing is a super curated view of the school that's being tailored to impress and increase yield of student matriculation, yes, I do think 2nd look is a waste. It's to get a good touchy feely feeling which has nothing to do with how med school will go there. Some of the very 'classmates' you meet at 2nd look will matriculate elsewhere. It's really bizarre to me that people think that this actually gives any more information than 'hey this school has a great marketing schtick'...

Impressions are definitely important, but I'm hesitant to say that such a curated view of the school actually has any long term impact in helping students why a school is right for them.

Important factors for me are: Location, size of student body, residency programs at the school, size and type of home hospital (and proximity to school), etc.

When I went to my UG's preview day, there were plenty of chances for me to bump into students who weren't actually affiliated with the admissions people. They were the #1 reason why I chose my school. Without exception, everyone I ran into was just...excited? They were happy, excited to see new prospective students, and excited to share the school with me. Their reaction was overwhelmingly 'omg, I love it here, I'm actually really excited to show you how much you will too', and to me, that was more important than all the propaganda. I wanted to go to a school where I would be that happy and excited about the place...and I was.
If you can't find a few candid opinions/impressions being on campus for a day or so, you're either IN your interview mode, or you're not looking. :shrug:

One compound word: hookups.

jk jk jk. I went for the ACADEMICS.

I dunno, ours isn't really designed as a "marketing ploy." It really is intended to be informative more than anything else. Nothing is really "curated." Nearly all of our second look programming is run by students with very little to no input by the administration. That said, I have no idea how representative our weekend is compared to others.

I dunno, ours isn't really designed as a "marketing ploy." It really is intended to be informative more than anything else. Nothing is really "curated." Nearly all of our second look programming is run by students with very little to no input by the administration. That said, I have no idea how representative our weekend is compared to others.
Us too. We had a second look one year. It was student-run and nobody was trying to market anything. In our debriefing, it was decided that the second look was pointless because near everybody who attended was going to come here anyway, so we haven't had one since. Our second look was basically a lot of time and effort consumed to throw a big party, with nothing meaningful accomplished.

Come to think of it, that describes most things in New Orleans. Huh. Now I'm surprised we got rid of it.

Why Attend A Second Look decision tool.

Please propose edits if you feel this could be useful.

Yes6qDv.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
Looks about right! But never underestimate the power of free drinks.

Yes! I have a similar question to this thread! Basically, I'd be grateful for any older folks who have a quick and dirty list of tips for "How To Get The Most Out Of Revisit, Seeing As You're Paying For Yet Another Flight/Hotel"

I would especially appreciate advice geared to someone torn between a few relatively comparable programs.

Quick semiotics lesson (green lights/red flags) is also very much welcome.

Thanks!
1. look for roommates
2. free lunch
3. schmooze with current students over dinner and drinks in the evening

granted, ive already decided that i'll be attending this school in the Fall

1. look for roommates
2. free lunch
3. schmooze with current students over dinner and drinks in the evening

granted, ive already decided that i'll be attending this school in the Fall

You just demonstrated that it's of low utility. Also, is the lunch still free after you factor in travel costs, time off work, etc.

That's captain buzzkill to you.

What if you are trying to make a decision between two schools and their second looks are the same day/weekend? Which one would you go to?

What if you are trying to make a decision between two schools and their second looks are the same day/weekend? Which one would you go to?

The one that you're more interested in? It's also not uncommon to split the weekend up and do a bit of time at both. This is a relatively common "problem."

For me, I'm going to 3 different second looks for reasons as follows:

School A: Is giving me money and will likely go there. However, I got a mixed feeling on interview day (some parts were great and some were not so great) and I want to make sure that it is a place I could spend 4 years.

School B. The school is great, I am not sure about the location, and I did not get a good feel for the student body while I was there. If I elect to go here over School A, I want to make sure it is worth the cost.

School C. We had about 1/2 a day to buy plane tickets and I panicked.

I don't know what the blurb by school C means...

You found out you got in 1/2 day before second look so you scrambled to buy tickets?

I don't know what the blurb by school C means...

You found out you got in 1/2 day before second look so you scrambled to buy tickets?
No. Haha we just found out about acceptances really close to second look and there were very few low cost plane tickets left.

Does it look bad if an accepted candidate doesn't attend second look? I replied to an invitation earlier this week, stating that I will not attend, because I won't be able to take time off from work. Also, I am already dead set on attending this institution.

Every admissions dean I know (save one who is no longer in that position) has confided that the only reason they continue having "second looks" is because the previous classes like the party so much. They can't handle the disappointment of their ongoing students.

Every admissions dean I know (save one who is no longer in that position) has confided that the only reason they continue having "second looks" is because the previous classes like the party so much. They can't handle the disappointment of their ongoing students.

Oh interesting, so you're saying second look is more for the current students than prospective ones?

Oh interesting, so you're saying second look is more for the current students than prospective ones?
That's right.
I asked why they didn't just have a really good party for the matriculated students?
I can't give the answers with losing all anonymity!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I think second look could be valuable? Yes.... I would love to compare schools I haven't seen since September.
Do I think that value is >= $600 plane ticket/hotel/transport/etc? No...
Because they are all across the country, I will attend none of them. :(

Does it look bad if an accepted candidate doesn't attend second look? I replied to an invitation earlier this week, stating that I will not attend, because I won't be able to take time off from work. Also, I am already dead set on attending this institution.

They don't care. You're also not their target audience.

They don't care. You're also not their target audience.
You are correct. The theory behind these things is to get sought-after candidates holding acceptances at other institutions.

Last edited by a moderator: