why choose dentistry over optometry???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xenomblack

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is the question I'm pondering upon right now.....

any input/advise is greatly appreciated....

thanks~

Members don't see this ad.

Do you like to work with your hands, or say "one, or two?"

Your thinking about it all wrong.......Why does the question have to be "Why choose Dentistry over Optometry......The question should be Why choose Optometry over Dentistry? (They are both preofession that involve caring for health problems do some research....ie. do you enjoy getting creative with your hands or giving someone a new way to look at the world!) The choice is yours...GOOD LUCK!

gLad im StriCtly TEEth and not iffy :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Optometry doesn't interest me. Not enough to get my hands dirty. Plus, they don't do surgery (optometrists) last time I checked. Must do that. The end.

guys, given the question of the OP, i don't think it is appropriate to honor it with an answer

because dentistry is fun, while pharmacy and optometry are not.

something to consider:

dentistry is more service-based, while optometry is more product-based..

best advice, figure it out for yourself, use your own brain.

plus if you post this in the dental forums.. guess wat people are gonna support dentistry..

xenomblack said:

thanks~

how are these two professions related?

oh i know...your marks probably aren't good enough for med school so these are your two next options. lol, what a loser.

Never shadowed an optometrist, but dentistry (as someone stated earlier) is very hands on and you get to do a lot of cool stuff. Optometry seems kinda boring to me. Just my $.02!
Scott

Optometry is more than just flipping dials, they also diagnose and treat eye diseases. You can also do vision therapy and low vision and other focuses. You also have the flexibility to start/join a practice or work retail and get paid instantly. It may not be as physically hands on as dentistry, but you get to use some pretty cool high tech equipment to examine the eye.

Members don't see this ad :)
fightingspirit said:
guys, given the question of the OP, i don't think it is appropriate to honor it with an answer

I agree with Aphistis. DOn't insult the guy. Many of us at one point were deciding between one health profession or another. The ones who are making fun of the guy just seem not to know why themselves want to be dentists, otherwise you would tell the guy why you love it and influence him positively

To the OP, I feel optometry is a much more laidback profession, although I know little about it. I think they are both relatively hands on, but dentistry is far and above the better choice for me, more to learn more options and you help people in an amazing way.

and....fighting spirit, you did it again. I gave you the benefit of the doubt yesterday when u PM'd me over your previous irrelevant comments, but your comment here is offensive again. DOn't respond anymore to posts if you don't have something CONSTRUCTIVE to say, i told u yesterday!

:)
Sowthpaw4 said:
I agree with Aphistis. DOn't insult the guy. Many of us at one point were deciding between one health profession or another. The ones who are making fun of the guy just seem not to know why themselves want to be dentists, otherwise you would tell the guy why you love it and influence him positively

To the OP, I feel optometry is a much more laidback profession, although I know little about it. I think they are both relatively hands on, but dentistry is far and above the better choice for me, more to learn more options and you help people in an amazing way.

and....fighting spirit, you did it again. I gave you the benefit of the doubt yesterday when u PM'd me over your previous irrelevant comments, but your comment here is offensive again. DOn't respond anymore to posts if you don't have something CONSTRUCTIVE to say, i told u yesterday!

you say tomato, i say tomatoe--insult to you, is not insult to me--its better to use your own mind and come up with your own reasons................. what you have to contribute to this person is nothing compared to what he can go out there and find out himself, after all he "AINT" you and he "AINT" me. you see it as an insult, i see it as noble..................................... :) have a nice life. ok.

L8DYV said:
:)

you say tomato, i say tomatoe--insult to you(plus others), is not insult to me--its better to use your own mind and come up with your own reasons................. what you have to contribute to this person is nothing compared to what he can go out there and find out himself, after all he "AINT" you and he "AINT" me. you see it as an insult, i see it as noble..................................... :) have a nice life. ok.

The guy asked a simple question. He was looking for a dental point of view. Hopefully he will go out and do his own research or shadowing, but how hard is it for you to answer his question without belittling and throwing around insults, which in fact they are. If you think putting the guy down is noble, then I feel bad for you. With your attitude your going to need a lot of help when you start UCLA's program, where making friends is important. Learn how to help people! after all dentistry is about helping and providing for people, doesn't matter who they are. Try using your own brain once in a while, be more respectuful, your about to be a health professional.

and by the way, the help and advice i give will go a lot longer than the sugar coated scratch the surface advice that goes rampid in this forum. you don't like it, not my problem. no need for your hypersensitivity to react and think that I am attacking you when that is not the case!

I agree with L8DYV. The question doesn't warrant an answer. It doesn't give our profession any respect (not cuz optometry isn't great, but because the two fields are so totally unrelated). It's obvious that this person is just trying to take the easy way out and I'm positive that meds would be his/her first choice if he/she had excellent grades. There is no doubting that and that my friend, is a sad sad thing. Hopefully admissions standards will continue to rise in the US so that dentistry isn't a backup but rather the first choice for everyone who enters the profession.

Why do optometry when you can do opthamology? You might as well be able to cut on the eye as well as look at it. It's a longer road though.

Audio said:
I agree with L8DYV. The question doesn't warrant an answer. It doesn't give our profession any respect (not cuz optometry isn't great, but because the two fields are so totally unrelated). It's obvious that this person is just trying to take the easy way out and I'm positive that meds would be his/her first choice if he/she had excellent grades. There is no doubting that and that my friend, is a sad sad thing. Hopefully admissions standards will continue to rise in the US so that dentistry isn't a backup but rather the first choice for everyone who enters the profession.

wow...lots of insecure ppl. on here. the question does warrant a response. stop assuming he is looking for backups. Audio i love how you're so confident about this person's choices and intentions.
ever stop and think maybe he/she researched medicine and doesn't like it b/c of stress, insurance, malpractice, etc.
to the op - don't rely on stuff you read here. get out there, observe dental and optometry. both have their own positives and negatives.
I choose dentistry b/c of personal experiences w/ my own dentist - i had lots of dental/ortho/maxillofacial work - changed my life. high impact profession especially specialty - challenges - hands on. can work your as* off, or make time for family . to me optometry just has a ceiling where you can only do so much - then u send out to the MD. but hey, optometry has its perks as well.

L8DYV said:
and by the way, the help and advice i give will go a lot longer than the sugar coated scratch the surface advice that goes rampid in this forum. you don't like it, not my problem. no need for your hypersensitivity to react and think that I am attacking you when that is not the case!

your just a hater..... I never said you were attacking me. you attacked the OP, and i defened his question. Don't get so defensive when you have no point to argue

Audio said:

I don't understand you guys. Your views are so skewed and out of place for this forum. What does his question have to do with respect for our profession. If you had more respect for the profession you'd give a response in support of it. Reducing his question to a matter of first choice versus second choice is pathetic and a whole different debate. Did you know you wanted to be a dentist from the age 2? i doubt it, and neither did I. You choose when your exposed to different things, able to weight the good and bad, and exposed to different OPINIONS, which is why the forum is here.

And the two fields are related in more ways than you know. your opnion is has no merit.

Sowthpaw4 said:
I don't understand you guys. Your views are so skewed and out of place for this forum. What does his question have to do with respect for our profession. If you had more respect for the profession you'd give a response in support of it. Reducing his question to a matter of first choice versus second choice is pathetic and a whole different debate. Did you know you wanted to be a dentist from the age 2? i doubt it, and neither did I. You choose when your exposed to different things, able to weight the good and bad, and exposed to different OPINIONS, which is why the forum is here.

And the two fields are related in more ways than you know. your opnion is has no merit.

very interesting......like i said, you say tomato, i say tomatoe.

anyhow, why give away the answers? when the person in question can answer it for them self? kinda like that commercial, wachovia i believe, "you give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day(that's what your doing)......teach him how to fish and you'll feed him for life(that's what im doing)," and no, i dont hate.......i love humanity with a sincere passion even if my opinion doesn't meet eye to eye with yours................................... :)

S Files said:
wow...lots of insecure ppl. on here. the question does warrant a response. stop assuming he is looking for backups. Audio i love how you're so confident about this person's choices and intentions.
ever stop and think maybe he/she researched medicine and doesn't like it b/c of stress, insurance, malpractice, etc.
to the op - don't rely on stuff you read here. get out there, observe dental and optometry. both have their own positives and negatives.I choose dentistry b/c of personal experiences w/ my own dentist - i had lots of dental/ortho/maxillofacial work - changed my life. high impact profession especially specialty - challenges - hands on. can work your as* off, or make time for family . to me optometry just has a ceiling where you can only do so much - then u send out to the MD. but hey, optometry has its perks as well.

Amen to that, you hit the jackpot baby!

Sowthpaw4 said:

hi!

that's called diversity. not every one carries your same opinions and conventions...as a health professional, I have to learn to be open to diverse opinions as I hope you will too........ :)

Sowthpaw4 said:

And the two fields are related in more ways than you know. your opnion is has no merit

and nonetheless, opinions they are.....perhaps not ones that resonate well for your ears.

L8DYV said:
hi!

that's called diversity. not every one carries your same opinions and conventions...as a health professional, I have to learn to be open to diverse opinions as I hope you will too........ :)

i am very open to all opinions, that doesn't mean i will accept all of them, i'm sure you believe the same. But in this case, i maintain that from what the OP's question was and your response, it cannot be termed diversity, instead it was demeaning. Had you suggested for him to look into shadowing both professions or talking to people from both professions, that would have sufficed as diversity.

L8DYV said:
and nonetheless, opinions they are.....perhaps not ones that resonate well for your ears.

ur right, they don't resonate this time. I'm deaf on this matter when it comes your belittling position. :rolleyes:

L8DYV said:

I think the key here is that you actually lack tact. Many of your posts on SDN come off as rude an arrogant, but unfortunately you see it as shooting straight. As you already know, your future profession requires a great deal of patient interaction, which in many cases will require you to communicate tactfully – sometimes gently…sometimes firmly, etc. I’d like to think that most people in the SDN forums are genuine about their comments and questions. If you continually feel like berating people because you believe they ask stupid questions, then maybe you’re just not the right person to help them. In other words, if you don’t feel like you have something to offer…why respond? I am sure that you are actually very intelligent, but I’m baffled that you are going into a field that involves helping others while your attitude exudes such discourtesy. The good thing is that you have 4 years to work on this…the flip side is that if you choose not to acknowledge it, the dentist down the road will eventually take most of your patients. Best of luck.

Sowthpaw4 said:
i am very open to all opinions, that doesn't mean i will accept all of them, i'm sure you believe the same. But in this case, i maintain that from what the OP's question was and your response, it cannot be termed diversity, instead it was demeaning. Had you suggested for him to look into shadowing both professions or talking to people from both professions, that would have sufficed as diversity.

when someone gives someone the advice to think for themselves--e.g. what career choice is right for them--is not at all demeaning, rather uplifting. and through his pursuits to question his own curiousity through experience and introspection will arrive him at the TRUE reward and he will ultimately answer his questions. you mistake my advice as "rudeness and being disrespectful" but to me its golden and will lead to success.

JamieMac said:
I think the key here is that you actually lack tact. Many of your posts on SDN come off as rude an arrogant, but unfortunately you see it as shooting straight. As you already know, your future profession requires a great deal of patient interaction, which in many cases will require you to communicate tactfully – sometimes gently…sometimes firmly, etc. I’d like to think that most people in the SDN forums are genuine about their comments and questions. If you continually feel like berating people because you believe they ask stupid questions, then maybe you’re just not the right person to help them. In other words, if you don’t feel like you have something to offer…why respond? I am sure that you are actually very intelligent, but I’m baffled that you are going into a field that involves helping others while your attitude exudes such discourtesy. The good thing is that you have 4 years to work on this…the flip side is that if you choose not to acknowledge it, the dentist down the road will eventually take most of your patients. Best of luck.

I strongly disagree with you. No need for tact in this situation, its all on the OP to decide what to do and how he will address his problem. I am not his mentor nor his freind, but someone with good advice.

Keep listening and hopefully you can learn a few things from what I have to say. :)

L8DYV said:
when someone gives someone the advice to think for themselves--e.g. what career choice is right for them--is not at all demeaning, rather uplifting. and through his pursuits to question his own curiousity through experience and introspection will arrive him at the TRUE reward and he will ultimately answer his questions. you mistake my advice as "rudeness and being disrespectful" but to me its golden and will lead to success.

you know, normally i flip through posts and then i'm on my way, but this one is unique...you specifically require special attention.

your first post in this forum was "best advice, figure it out for yourself, use your own brain."

How is this uplifting? No one said this person won't pursue his own curiosity. He asked for opinions and advice. You have a complete misunderstanding of the term "advice," which involves careful thought. It appears that you have never asked anyone for help, opinions, or ever asked a question over your own curiosities yourself. your comment was not advice, it was inappropriate. On a website intended to help people answer questions about/related to healthcare fields, your post did not contribute to this. So my advice is to be more mindful before you post, use a little disgretion. If it doesn't provide something intuitive, something thought provoking, or something funny and light hearted, and instead attacks someone, or aggressively overreacts, don't share your "advice." You will run into many problems when you get to dental school and realize that your future profession is about helping people, being sensitive, being thoughtful, caring, and understanding to the needs of people from all walks of life. Telling people to go figure it out on your own does not equate to any of what i mentioned above. I think you should maybe start now with this forum.

Sowthpaw4 said:
you know, normally i flip through posts and then i'm on my way, but this one is unique...you specifically require special attention.

your first post in this forum was "best advice, figure it out for yourself, use your own brain."

How is this uplifting? No one said this person won't pursue his own curiosity. He asked for opinions and advice. You have a complete misunderstanding of the term "advice," which involves careful thought. It appears that you have never asked anyone for help, opinions, or ever asked a question over your own curiosities yourself. your comment was not advice, it was inappropriate. On a website intended to help people answer questions about/related to healthcare fields, your post did not contribute to this. So my advice is to be more mindful before you post, use a little disgretion. If it doesn't provide something intuitive, something thought provoking, or something funny and light hearted, and instead attacks someone, or aggressively overreacts, don't share your "advice." You will run into many problems when you get to dental school and realize that your future profession is about helping people, being sensitive, being thoughtful, caring, and understanding to the needs of people from all walks of life. Telling people to go figure it out on your own does not equate to any of what i mentioned above. I think you should maybe start now with this forum.

I was not attacking anyone. (You attack me and have little to contribute to this precarious individual).

You are over reacting.

You will realize that the "best advice [is to] figure it out for yourself, [and] use your own brain." Not mine, or anyones else's but yourself. A lot of people end up in the wrong places for the wrong reasons because they dont think for themselves! If you take that as an attack, my apologies, get over it already. :)

ok.. let's agree to disagree.. and move on..

i have 2 siblings, one in both fields.. so i get an earful of advices from each..

both fields are make a decent living, depending on your willingness to take risk.. dentistry is much more invasive, more hands-on.. while optometry is less stressful. as many others have stated.. you should try shadowing both professions to see what suits your interest..

Envision where are you...you're the only person I know who has researched both optometry and dentistry with equal zeal as the OP. Come here and shed some light on this "discussion"!

Here are some questions to look at,

1-Do you like to work on teeth or eyes?
2-Which field are u a stronger candidate in?
3-which one pays more $$$ ?
4-How long is school for each one?
5-How expensive is each field (school)?

It really helps to shadow people of these professions. As boring as it can be, imagine ur self in their seats working. You may find that you are fond of both and then it becomes a matter of which is better. Better is defined why people in different ways so I propose that u explore that and be fair to you self and give your self the necessary time so that you can sleep easy later on with less "what ifs".

Good luck

here is my honest answer to the original question: a dentist is the sculpture of the oral cavity and an optometrist is an observer of the eyes. so are you hands on or hands off type of a person? Personally.. I'm a hands on person, being able to touch and shape what i see is more fun to me. On the other hand.... my sister is an optometrist and she loves it, she finds that looking through her little scope thing is very interesting. I tried to see what she saw... and i dont have a clue what it is or what im looking at. Another way to determine what you should go into is how much blood you can tolerate... none? a little? or a lot? none= eyes (optometry). a little= mouth (dentistry). a lot = body (medical). whether or not you choose dentistry or optometry, it should be what you're passionate about b/c you're gonna do it for the rest of your life.

rambo2006 said:
Here are some questions to look at,

1-Do you like to work on teeth or eyes?
2-Which field are u a stronger candidate in?
3-which one pays more $$$ ?
4-How long is school for each one?
5-How expensive is each field (school)?

It really helps to shadow people of these professions. As boring as it can be, imagine ur self in their seats working. You may find that you are fond of both and then it becomes a matter of which is better. Better is defined why people in different ways so I propose that u explore that and be fair to you self and give your self the necessary time so that you can sleep easy later on with less "what ifs".

Good luck

good post, except i strongly disagree with #2. if u're not a strong candidate, make yourself one. i don't care if it takes 2-3 extra years. 3 years is worth it - remember u're spending the rest of u're life doing this stuff. again, this is Audio's assumption that the op has a hierarchy of career options / backups. it's quite possible that the op can get into any professional or graduate school they want to. an unrelated point - to me - i don't like how optometrists work in malls and walmart, etc. i couldn't do that - call me snooty or whatever. man healthcare belongs in professional offices / buildings. don't like how pharmacy's and optometrists are in malls and stuff. my mentor in d school was located amongst other health care professionals providing stimulating discussion, co-operation, etc. i plan on that kind of an atmosphere. not next to gap.

L8DYV said:
I strongly disagree with you. No need for tact in this situation, its all on the OP to decide what to do and how he will address his problem. I am not his mentor nor his freind, but someone with good advice.

Keep listening and hopefully you can learn a few things from what I have to say. :)

And of course, this is exactly what I knew you would say.

I knew you would (strongly disagree with me)...because you are oblivious to your insolence – It is evident that you’re not even aware of it. I am a firm believer that you can learn something from anyone regardless of who they are. So, you are exactly right…I have already learned that you are very far from actually realizing that your “good advice” is not actually perceived that way by others and this is a problem that may be with you for a very long time. I’d also agree that you are neither his mentor nor his friend, but you forgot to mention you’re not someone wishing to help others in this forum, because your advice is hardly “good” – a better description would be cynical. Instead of getting defensive, I think you should give Sowthpaw’s advice some consideration. I am just amazed that you see his/her points as overreacting. You just don’t get it. :confused:

Sorry food4thots. You're right...agree to disagree.

Audio said:

the reason I haven't considered medical school is because of my citizenship, not my grade.

I put this post up to see your perspective as a dental/pre-dental students to see if you had any more idea about the positive aspects of dentistry than I did.

I can't say I didn't get offended by your comment on me taking the "easy way out".

I've came to the states in hopes to study what's best for me and make a good career as the first person in my family to study here.

The restrictions on my choices are already hard enough for me.
Please do not make any more assumptions about other people if you cannot be more understanding to the questions in this forum.

galangvu said:
here is my honest answer to the original question: a dentist is the sculpture of the oral cavity and an optometrist is an observer of the eyes. so are you hands on or hands off type of a person? Personally.. I'm a hands on person, being able to touch and shape what i see is more fun to me. On the other hand.... my sister is an optometrist and she loves it, she finds that looking through her little scope thing is very interesting. I tried to see what she saw... and i dont have a clue what it is or what im looking at. Another way to determine what you should go into is how much blood you can tolerate... none? a little? or a lot? none= eyes (optometry). a little= mouth (dentistry). a lot = body (medical). whether or not you choose dentistry or optometry, it should be what you're passionate about b/c you're gonna do it for the rest of your life.

thanks

that leads to another question,
do General practitioners see blood (if not at all) ?

cause the one that I shadowed, I only saw him do crowns, cavities, etc.
So i didn't see any blood at all that week.

JamieMac said:
And of course, this is exactly what I knew you would say.

I knew you would (strongly disagree with me)...because you are oblivious to your insolence – It is evident that you’re not even aware of it. I am a firm believer that you can learn something from anyone regardless of who they are. So, you are exactly right…I have already learned that you are very far from actually realizing that your “good advice” is not actually perceived that way by others and this is a problem that may be with you for a very long time. I’d also agree that you are neither his mentor nor his friend, but you forgot to mention you’re not someone wishing to help others in this forum, because your advice is hardly “good” – a better description would be cynical. Instead of getting defensive, I think you should give Sowthpaw’s advice some consideration. I am just amazed that you see his/her points as overreacting. You just don’t get it. :confused:

Sorry food4thots. You're right...agree to disagree.

You spell potatoe, I spell potato....if you dont like the advice, take it for what you interpret it as and for what its worth.

Here watch this video (courtesy fo toothache): http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=11915 Wait for the commercial to finish in the beginnning.

Apparently your anger and attacks on me show me that you don't get it. Amazing, you have no advice to contribute to xenom. Have a nice life, and good luck to you! :)

xenomblack said:
thanks

that leads to another question,
do General practitioners see blood (if not at all) ?

cause the one that I shadowed, I only saw him do crowns, cavities, etc.
So i didn't see any blood at all that week.

yes they see blood, especially with extractions, shadow him/her more.

You'll see quite a bit of blood in dentistry--significantly more than a lot of physicians (depending on their specialty, obviously). Any sort of oral surgery will bleed, and nasty perio cases can produce a remarkable amount of blood as well (not to mention some odors that will knock you off your feet if you aren't ready for them).

xenomblack said:
the reason I haven't considered medical school is because of my citizenship, not my grade.

I put this post up to see your perspective as a dental/pre-dental students to see if you had any more idea about the positive aspects of dentistry than I did.

I can't say I didn't get offended by your comment on me taking the "easy way out".

I've came to the states in hopes to study what's best for me and make a good career as the first person in my family to study here.

Please do not make any more assumptions about other people if you cannot be more understanding to the questions in this forum.

Citizenship???? All professional schools (whether dent/opt/med) accept a limited # of international students. Restrictions to education are equal across the board, regardless of type of professional program. Only exception is state schools are more restriced than private schools. At my school, there were more international medical students. The only non-citizens at my school were Canadians. I would assume same goes for optometry. Listen I think you need to research WAY more into these careers, AND the application process into professional schools.

xenomblack said:

What is your year in college? Major? College name and location? and do you expect to get citizenship here? When do you plan on applying? and out of curiosity, where is your home country?

L8DYV said:

You spell potatoe, I spell potato....if you dont like the advice, take it for what you interpret it as and for what its worth.

Here watch this video (courtesy fo toothache): http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=11915 Wait for the commercial to finish in the beginnning.

Apparently your anger and attacks on me show me that you don't get it. Amazing, you have no advice to contribute to xenom. Have a nice life, and good luck to you! :)

normally i like to stay clear of the back and forth arguments that sometimes happen on these forums... but as i was reading through this thread, i came across this post. i know that this is not relevant to the discussion, but the video is hilarious :laugh: :D thanks for the laugh!

speedy3816 said:
normally i like to stay clear of the back and forth arguments that sometimes happen on these forums... but as i was reading through this thread, i came across this post. i know that this is not relevant to the discussion, but the video is hilarious :laugh: :D thanks for the laugh!

Heck yeah, that video had me crackin up! seriously! :D :laugh:

xenomblack said:

thanks~

I think you should shadow a dentist or an optometrist. To find out it those to fields interest you. You need experience in the field in order to decide what you want to do. This is something that your going to be doing for the rest of your life. You should make your own decision instead of asking people to make the decision for you...its a personal choice. I personally love dentistry because I enjoy working with my hands and I know I can make a difference in someone life.
TUFTS Univ. School of Dental Medicine 2010

S Files said:
Citizenship???? All professional schools (whether dent/opt/med) accept a limited # of international students. Restrictions to education are equal across the board, regardless of type of professional program. Only exception is state schools are more restriced than private schools. At my school, there were more international medical students. The only non-citizens at my school were Canadians. I would assume same goes for optometry. Listen I think you need to research WAY more into these careers, AND the application process into professional schools.

Since I have lived long enough in Indiana, I will be considered as a resident despite the fact that I am not a citizen in the states.

Also, that is particularly why I am going to apply to privates schools besides IUSD.

And, I don't know which medical school you go to, but I assume if it's one of the carribean schools, I cannot afford to go there :-(