why did u want to become a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audigq

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious to see what people say. I'm honestly not sure yet and i need to figure this out soon before i apply ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Money
Job security
Like cutting things open

Members don't see this ad :)
The need to put my interest/knowledge of science, specifically biology, and my intrinsic motivation to help the community, together in a way where I can interact directly with people and affect their lives for the better. Job security is nice too.

I wouldn't mind being a traveling bard; just going around the world playing music like a bum. I don't need much to survive, but I feel that would be a waste of my God-given talents, which could be used to help others. Being a chef/baker would be cool too. I want to teach eventually, but I'd like to first get into the field of medicine and move on from there.

I like the body + find medicine interesting. And I like working with people.

This is really a lame question that admissions people get all excited about. It has almost zero reality after you get admitted.

Admissions people love to talk about how noble and talented their students are. Then everyone focuses on money and prestige once they're admitted.

in b4

[YOUTUBE]imI8baMrfGo[/YOUTUBE]

As a child I always dreamed of visiting the caribbeans, but our family was too poor to afford to go. It was at the pubescent age of 13 were my passion for medical started to arise though my impeccable dream of going to the untarnished land called the caribbeans.

If you really wanted to become a doctor, you wouldn't need to ask people for their opinions on why you should.....

If you really wanted to become a doctor, you wouldn't need to ask people for their opinions on why you should.....

im just curious of what other people think ;)

**** YOU! IF YOU DONT KNOW WHY YOU WANNA BECOME A DOCTOR YOU DONT DESERVE TO BE A DOCTOR!!!

/s

In all seriousness, only you know why you wanted to become a doctor. There is no amazingly good reason that = auto acceptance. What's important is that you express it eloquently and tastefully to the ADCOMS. Obvs don't say because of the $$, but trying to get an idea of what you should put based on our own personal preferences won't get you very far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shoot man, I don't even know anymore.

I am just concentrating on being a good engineer, then I'll take the MCATS, then we will survey the lay of the land and maybe common sense will kick in.

I realized as a Physics major in my Junior year of undergrad that I wasn't mathematically gifted or inclined enough to compete with my colleagues going into Physics. Medicine was the land of problems. Science problems, social problems, people problems, business problems etc. While not mathematically inclined, I am a good problem solver and can setup most problems for solution when others can't. I saw that I had a competitive advantage. I also love it. So I applied to medical school. I had no idea what medical school was going to be like, what ECs were, what my GPA was, what the MCAT was, etc. While my father was trained as an MD and done his residency at B&W, he never practiced a day in his life. He went HMS -> B&W -> Academic research -> Big pharma research -> Wall street -> Retired at 49. Hardly a good "Physician" to idolize. But I recognized very early that part of what allowed him to do what he did was the training that he got along the way and the skill sets that he derived from medical school and residency. So even though I knew nothing about medical school, I knew that I was going to set myself up to do practically anything I might want to do in the future.

In medical school, I realized that I was designed to be a surgeon. I only sleep 4 hours a day, I can go from sleep to functioning in only a few minutes. I love working with my hands, having played virtually every sport out there, built rockets and done carpentry since I was a little kid etc etc. Now I can't imagine doing anything else :).

just curious to see what people say. I'm honestly not sure yet and i need to figure this out soon before i apply ;)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imI8baMrfGo[/YOUTUBE]

Science in America is dead. Medicine isn't dead and it's close enough to being science.

I want to be a doctor because I think it will be to pay back student loans.

I also like working with people and the human body interests me.

all of you would get rejected. all of you

I realized as a Physics major in my Junior year of undergrad that I wasn't mathematically gifted or inclined enough to compete with my colleagues going into Physics. Medicine was the land of problems. Science problems, social problems, people problems, business problems etc. While not mathematically inclined, I am a good problem solver and can setup most problems for solution when others can't. I saw that I had a competitive advantage. I also love it. So I applied to medical school. I had no idea what medical school was going to be like, what ECs were, what my GPA was, what the MCAT was, etc. While my father was trained as an MD and done his residency at B&W, he never practiced a day in his life. He went HMS -> B&W -> Academic research -> Big pharma research -> Wall street -> Retired at 49. Hardly a good "Physician" to idolize. But I recognized very early that part of what allowed him to do what he did was the training that he got along the way and the skill sets that he derived from medical school and residency. So even though I knew nothing about medical school, I knew that I was going to set myself up to do practically anything I might want to do in the future.

In medical school, I realized that I was designed to be a surgeon. I only sleep 4 hours a day, I can go from sleep to functioning in only a few minutes. I love working with my hands, having played virtually every sport out there, built rockets and done carpentry since I was a little kid etc etc. Now I can't imagine doing anything else :).

I like this answer and it should be very similar to yours in terms of what your experience entails. Maybe you should mention something about video games...:D

I like this answer and it should be very similar to yours in terms of what your experience entails. Maybe you should mention something about video games...:D

+1

Op is troll big time lol :laugh: I give ya troll a 10/10. Seriously, knows how to. Play devils advocate and then pretend innocence ...:smuggrin:

I want to became a doctor because I love people i want help them.

I think people deserve to die on their own terms.

Power trip and money. Plus free pudding cups if you work in the ED. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

At the end of the day, when I am about to die (which we are all destined for, inevitably), I want to be able to say that I did something with my damn life.

What that 'something' entails may differ from person to person, but for me, I believe that medicine is it.

+1

Op is troll big time lol :laugh: I give ya troll a 10/10. Seriously, knows how to. Play devils advocate and then pretend innocence ...:smuggrin:

I was about to ask OP why he wanted to become a doctor... Guess it's too late now

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Corollary : female migration in my general direction

Oh, science is cool too...and so is helping people

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Corollary : female migration in my general direction

Oh, science is cool too...and so is helping people

Money & chicks. Why else? Oh yeah, and prestige. They say surgeons think of themselves as God, so it's gotta be the next best thing to starting a new religion and declaring yourself "God Incarnate" right?

My friends and family tell me that my handwriting is horrible.

My only destiny is to become a doctor. :(