Why did Walgreens treat me so well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wagrxm2000

Walgreens enthusiast. Called the peak in Bitcoin.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand why a company would allow me to retire by the time I'm 50.

I just don't understand why they would pay me six figures allowing me to be a multimillionaire. I didn't even make 6 figures when I started, I thought I'd be working my whole life.

I just don't understand why they would pay 4% of my salary in a 401k every year.

I just don't understand compared to a lot of other companies I've seen, that they'd give me pretty good options for insurance.

I just don't understand why I get so much vacation time, shouldn't I be working more?

I just don't understand why they would give me the tools to excel at my job giving me time to do what I love to do: interact with my customers.

I just don't understand why I get to relax and eat lunch everyday.

I just don't understand....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Nobody retires comfortably working at Walgreens without cutting a few throats

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my favorite troll account on SDN, better than stoichimetrist or that paranoid economic doom guy.

Reactions: 8 users
I talked to a Walgreen pharmacist during a prescription transfer, she just casually mentioned her 401k balance is over $1M, this was about 3 years ago. I had to hold my tongue, I had that in my taxable account :-D

Reactions: 1 user
I talked to a Walgreen pharmacist during a prescription transfer, she just casually mentioned her 401k balance is over $1M, this was about 3 years ago. I had to hold my tongue, I had that in my taxable account :-D

Did that really happen?

This is my favorite troll account on SDN, better than stoichimetrist or that paranoid economic doom guy.

While not a troll, it's nice that some appreciate my positivity.

Yes, she was old as fu3k, had to be with the company for 20-30 yrs at least.

About 20 years sounds close, my 401k is almost there.

Aside from the "retire by 50" part, these should all be EXPECTATIONS of a workplace. Like, a thread bragging that one eats lunch? This is what our profession has come to...
Also, are you in California? #laborlaws

Reactions: 6 users
Aside from the "retire by 50" part, these should all be EXPECTATIONS of a workplace. Like, a thread bragging that one eats lunch? This is what our profession has come to...
Also, are you in California? #laborlaws

No Midwest.

Some companies match 6% (mine does).

I do remember being told by other pharmacist until not long ago, WAG used to pay $20 dollars on top of normal hourly salary on extra shifts when rph work more than their base hours. Now that is a killer!! My buddy made a bank out of this. Of course this option is no longer there.

Yeah overtime used to be great but the laws of supply and demand got rid of that, not the companies fault.

I just don't understand why a company would allow me to retire by the time I'm 50.

I just don't understand why they would pay me six figures allowing me to be a multimillionaire. I didn't even make 6 figures when I started, I thought I'd be working my whole life.

I just don't understand why they would pay 4% of my salary in a 401k every year.

I just don't understand compared to a lot of other companies I've seen, that they'd give me pretty good options for insurance.

I just don't understand why I get so much vacation time, shouldn't I be working more?

I just don't understand why they would give me the tools to excel at my job giving me time to do what I love to do: interact with my customers.

What is “Stockholm Syndrome”

I’ll take Anal Bum Cover for $500 Alec.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

I now have a cringe related injury

About 20 years sounds close, my 401k is almost there.

You're retiring at 50 with under a mil?!?

Why?

Members don't see this ad :)
You were too quick.

Why are you retiring with under a million?

Sorry a notification popped up.

I'm not, I cracked 2 million recently. That's just my 401k. I have my wife's plus other savings accounts.

I still have plenty of years left in me, I'm still in my early 40s. I'm probably going through the next recession before retiring.

Last edited:

Nothing beats that "I'm sending this forum to the CVS legal department!!!" guy.

Reactions: 5 users
I wonder why I have to butt kiss and sacrifice my integrity and professional oath as a pharmacist to succeed at Walgreens?
I wonder why I have to backstab and throw my fellow pharmacist and techs under the bus to succeed at Walgreens?

I wonder why I have to butt kiss and sacrifice my integrity and professional oath as a pharmacist to succeed at Walgreens?
I wonder why I have to backstab and throw my fellow pharmacist and techs under the bus to succeed at Walgreens?

The question is what can you do to fix the issue?

Feel free to pm me for tips on how to succeed.

I would give this post 2 thumbs up if I could!

Lol.

Can you at least admit that you're an extreme outlier+

Yes I'm an outlier....on this forum.

I don't think this forum represents the entire pharmacist population. It definitely doesn't represent my district.

Lmao.
You're the best

I will say this, if you are my age and you hate your job, you did something wrong. You went through the huge pharmacist boom. You could have set yourself up at any area. Look at some of the posters that aren't in retail. They knew it wasn't for them and they found a job they like.

Now look at the younger crowd, they are in the busy stores that can't keep staffed or in areas they don't want to be in. Don't come here and complain that your store sucks when you made the horrible decision to go into pharmacy because you saw six figures.

Yes I'm an outlier....on this forum.

I don't think this forum represents the entire pharmacist population. It definitely doesn't represent my district.
Just got off the phone with a phila rph with a transfer. Asked him if he could get same pay and benefits would he get out of pharmacy. His answer was "hell yes". Take away the pay and benefits and its a horrible job.

Honestly, I'm jealous of you. I thought I would be with Walgreens forever. Fifteen years with the company, loved my job, loved my team, had a DM/HCS that, while pressure existed, I could always justify whatever metrics weren't getting met and they would be receptive to action plans.

DM got promoted. Got replaced with a parrot who pushed numbers at all costs and didn't understand any of the numbers he pushed. Any inquiries sent to him, he just forwarded on to someone else - and would cancel any store visits, so I was never able to get feedback. He once sent an e-mail about overdue PPLs for the district demanding an action plan for every manager who had an employee on the list. His name was the first name on the list.

Every story has two sides, of course, and you have no reason to believe me. But in the one year this guy was our supervisor, he lost 12 RXMs and RXSs in his district. I hope for your sake that you never have your version of this supervisor, because it will very quickly reverse your opinion. Walgreens itself is no more evil than CVS or Kroger or even a lot of independent owners. But all it takes is one person with a little bit of authority to ruin everything

I will say this, if you are my age and you hate your job, you did something wrong. You went through the huge pharmacist boom. You could have set yourself up at any area. Look at some of the posters that aren't in retail. They knew it wasn't for them and they found a job they like.

Now look at the younger crowd, they are in the busy stores that can't keep staffed or in areas they don't want to be in. Don't come here and complain that your store sucks when you made the horrible decision to go into pharmacy because you saw six figures.
Oh no, I mean I'm independent.
It's Gucci mode while it lasts.

I genuinely love your commitment to being positive no matter what.
No matter what.

sure have a lot of time on your hand to write up a brag post like this

sure have a lot of time on your hand to write up a brag post like this

Brag post? This is just a description of the job.

The point of the post though was due to the decent woe is me posts we've been seeing.

Do you still feel this way after 2 years of no raise, your PTO rate has been cut, you can no longer carry over PTO, and your RXM bonus will likely be cut?

Maybe you are channeling Charles Walgreen the Third...or your Mad Cow Disease is acting up....

Probably same reason CVS has treated me well (albeit only the past 2 years): you landed in a good situation (good technicians, good store manager, good district manager, good patient base, good doctors, etc.), and didn't let go.

Do you still feel this way after 2 years of no raise, your PTO rate has been cut, you can no longer carry over PTO, and your RXM bonus will likely be cut?

Our salaries I never dreamed to be this high.

My family likes to take vacations, nothing is banked.

The bonus part will hurt if they go through with it (probably 99% likely)

You have to remember I didn't do this for the money.

Probably same reason CVS has treated me well (albeit only the past 2 years): you landed in a good situation (good technicians, good store manager, good district manager, good patient base, good doctors, etc.), and didn't let go.

This guy gets it.

That's not Walgreens doing anything specific. That's just making the most out of a good opportunity and maximizing any resources available. But it only takes one douche micromanager to ruin what you have

Some companies match 6% (mine does).

I do remember being told by other pharmacist until not long ago, WAG used to pay $20 dollars on top of normal hourly salary on extra shifts when rph work more than their base hours. Now that is a killer!! My buddy made a bank out of this. Of course this option is no longer there.
Way back when it was time and a half or if they were desperate double time. But why should we get that when no one else does? Although it seems if they don't call you management then by law you should get time and a half.

Is this a joke? the only way this happens is if you were an old timer. New graduates now have none of this.

Is this a joke? the only way this happens is if you were an old timer. New graduates now have none of this.

Yes it's a troll post to mock the retail complaint threads in this forum. No one gets time to interact with customers, relax and eat lunch everyday, or gets lots of vacation time anymore.

Yes it's a troll post to mock the retail complaint threads in this forum. No one gets time to interact with customers, relax and eat lunch everyday, or gets lots of vacation time anymore.

That's cool man, i figured you were teasing....sucks huh? they are pushing out even the 35-50 year olds now. It's flooded with 28-32 year old new grads who will work for nothing.

Because this is corporate America now...This is the new norm. I feel your pain. Im desperate for any way out.

Because Walgreens values it's employees more than just "the bottom line" or providing "value" to its shareholders. They strive to provide amazing working conditions in a patient centered environment because they realize happy employees drive productivity. Now show me on this doll where Wagrxm2000 touched you...

I'm so glad my thread keeps coming back.

Hopefully 18 years from now everyone will see how great Walgreens has been to them too

I'm so glad my thread keeps coming back.

Hopefully 18 years from now everyone will see how great Walgreens has been to them too
in 18 years (assuming we are still all alive) there will be no more retail pharmacy as WE know it today. I dont know what it will be, but i dont want any part of it ya know? leave it for the millenials to figure out!