Why did you choose DPM vs MD or DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

travel10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was just wondering if there were any big reasons as to why you chose DPM- besides living a balanced career-personal life, money or just genuinely liking it- what drew you to this field? And what drew you away from others...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
I was just wondering if there were any big reasons as to why you chose DPM- besides living a balanced career-personal life, money or just genuinely liking it- what drew you to this field? And what drew you away from others...
Wow, I'm interested, too - what else is left besides all that? I'd be surprised if anybody didn't go into it for at least one of these reasons.

Extra letters behind my name.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I chose DPM because I loved following podiatrists the most because they do skin, soft tissue, surgery, biomechanics, pediatrics, etc. etc. it was far more interesting to me. I also have a foot fetish (Juuuust kidding). As for "easy scheduling/lifestyle" I don't know about that because many podiatrists work around 50-60 hours a week. It all depends where you end up working and what you want.

I knew I wouldn't have that great of board scores or class ranking... if I went DO or MD I had a high chance of being a GP or going into psych (the two lowest board score averages) which I didn't have any interest in doing. By choosing DPM I chose my specialty right off the bat - no matter my scores or ranking.

Reactions: 1 user