Why did you choose DPM vs MD or DO

Started by travel10
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

travel10

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,
I was just wondering if there were any big reasons as to why you chose DPM- besides living a balanced career-personal life, money or just genuinely liking it- what drew you to this field? And what drew you away from others...
 
Hello all,
I was just wondering if there were any big reasons as to why you chose DPM- besides living a balanced career-personal life, money or just genuinely liking it- what drew you to this field? And what drew you away from others...
Wow, I'm interested, too - what else is left besides all that? I'd be surprised if anybody didn't go into it for at least one of these reasons.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I chose DPM because I loved following podiatrists the most because they do skin, soft tissue, surgery, biomechanics, pediatrics, etc. etc. it was far more interesting to me. I also have a foot fetish (Juuuust kidding). As for "easy scheduling/lifestyle" I don't know about that because many podiatrists work around 50-60 hours a week. It all depends where you end up working and what you want.

I knew I wouldn't have that great of board scores or class ranking... if I went DO or MD I had a high chance of being a GP or going into psych (the two lowest board score averages) which I didn't have any interest in doing. By choosing DPM I chose my specialty right off the bat - no matter my scores or ranking.