Why did you choose IM over Surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EChipouras

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is for those of you who were debating between IM (and/or the IM specialties) and surgery. What influenced you to choose IM? I am leaning towards IM (possibly cardio) now..before I state my reasons, what factors influenced your decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Because IM is better!!

No seriously, I considered surgery for a while, and still think about it sometimes with a little sigh. I loved my rotation, and I think the OR is fabulous, but the lifestyle (for general surg anyway) struck me as worse than IM (which may not be true), and a major red flag was my discomfort and embarrassment at adult professionals throwing tantrums on a regular basis. That may just be at my school, and it certainly wasn't everyone, but the fact that it was accepted just seemed ridiculous.
The major reason is because I fell in love with IM -- I love the discussions of case, and the rounding as a team (and yes, I do love the rounds, which are what most people can't stand), and mostly I feel like the people are the people that I most associate with -- at my school, they were the most caring, intelligent, intellectual people... and they had somewhat normal lives and interests outside of the hospital.

Anyway, I loved both, and I think that either field gives you some pretty amazing options to pursue after residency... I still can see the draw of surgery, but there were some things about the culture that really bothered me, and I didn't find that in medicine, so I chose.

In the end, I think you'll find that we all state specific reasons why we chose one field over another, but it's kind of a gestalt thing. Which do you feel best about? Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Do you have life goals outside of medicine? This may be the kind of thing where you might make a full pros and cons list...

Reactions: 1 user
I cosidered general surgery at one point (although, not for too long :)

For me, I wasn't in love with the OR. I definitely enjoyed rotating through surgery and my experiences in the OR were amazing but it's not a place that I want to be in on a daily basis. In my opinion, the OR wasn't the most intellectually stimulating place. Surgery seemed more to me as an artistic endeavor that appealed to people that liked to work with their hands and produce very concrete results. A lot of time, depending on the type of surgery, was spent tying off vessels, scraping off pathological tissue, finding nerves and trying not to cut those nerves. I spent a lot of hours in the OR that wern't very fulfilling to me.

Also, I want to learn the management of a wide spectrum of diseases. The surgeons at my school often call themselves the "complete doctors" and say that they do everything internists do plus surgery. I disagree. There is a significant number of diseases that do not have any form of operative management. Also, for the diseases that require surgical treatment, it's often only a small percentage of patients with very advanced disease. Additionally, with the passing of time interventional radiology/cardiology and other less invasive procedures (endoscopic procedures) have become more effective and some surgeries are becoming obsolete. Surgery has significant rates of associated morbidity/mortality and as the technology develops that allows physicians to produce the same results in a less invasive manner, I believe more surgeries will become performed less. I am not trying to say that surgery will ever be phased out, but in a lot of ways many surgeries seem very primitive to me and don't really address the underlying pathology.

Just some thoughts. Also, I enjoy the more thorough histories and physicals that I saw being performed more often in IM. Also, I feel that internists have more developed relationships with patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
good question...and a hard one to answer. Surgery definitely is appealing with some of the best stories you can remember. I found it difficult to choose because of the lifestyle as well. I also felt surgeons were not paid fairly for the work and complications they had to deal with.

so lifestyle and the complications (which were a huge pain) were probably the biggest drawbacks. Plus even though some of the bread/butter stuff were okay, the other bread/butter stuff wasn't that great - I hated ostomy bags, and I hated dealing with stool all the time...which general surgery is mostly abdomen. I was also okay with the 1-4 hour stuff but some of the complicated 6-8 hour stuff where you have to be meticulous and patient to the final hour...I just didn't think I could stay interested for that long.

Reactions: 2 users
my friend, we were all in your shoes at one time. the main thing to tell you is you will know the second you complete third year after doing surgery, IM, and other rotations. you will know then!

surgery - loved the people and the fast rounds but disliked everything else about it. the long hours, meticulous nature of surgery that requires patience which i don't have, the lack of glamour of surgery that we see on tv, my lack of advanced hands skills that i'm not interested in improving, reimbursement cuts, limited range of diseases, bread/butter not satisfying, and OR nurses.

medicine - dislike long rounds on primary care patients, nasty homeless patients, mental masturbation without any therapeutic goal or target, and having to match for maybe only 2 fellowships that really interest me. i like, however, rounding on complicated patients with really good teachers/coworkers, the massive amount of knowledge needed to be a complete physician, discussing broad differentials, the laid back nature of the field, and the fact that it has a couple fellowships that i think i would enjoy more than any other career in medicine. there's much more to likes/dislikes but this is the gist of my thoughts.

keep in mind that how you perceive a rotation has everything to do with your teachers and mentors. if you're meant to do IM and are stuck on a bad team and you don't enjoy yourself, you might dislike it for the wrong reasons.

Really good question. Before I started pre clinicals they gave us all the Myers BRigg's Personality test and it indicated I should do surgery same with the personality test on the Careers in Medicine site. I agree with the above posts it's weird how 8 weeks can dictate the rest of your life. I hated my surgery rotation - hours sucked and I didn't care for surgery at all. The first few were interesting, particularly the burn and TRauma cases and CT surg, but aside from that the other surgeries didn't float my boat at all. I did my surgery rotation when Borat came out so I used to sing the Kazahkstan 'national anthem' during surgery to entertain myself. I also invented songs to stop my mind from nodding off. One of my attendings had a pinhead so I came up with my first hit single "You've got a pinhead and you know it", "I just can't get over you (and your inflammed gallbladder)", "My heart will go on (with this pacemaker)" I'm planning to release all songs after med school to pay off my loans ;). I think you should assess how you felt in the OR. Did you like it? Did the hours not bother you if you ended up spending it in the OR? Can you see yourself in an OR for the rest of your life? Did you like most of the surgeons on service with you? Did you like the OR staff? If you really loved OR (even after the novelty wore up) then do a Surgery Sub-I and see how it goes. If you still like it then you should go for it. If you liked the surgical stuff ie the procedures but really loved dealing with medical issues too then consider an Internal Medicine specialty that does procedures such as GI, Cards, Interventioal Pulmonary (that will be a huge field in the future). Surgeons are known for not (at least in my experience) really focusing too much on medical findings (most institutes thery turf if the pt is a little bit complcated, which in some places means an elevated CBG). During my rotation very rarely did I see a Stethoscope used, the reason is that they are really busy and they love to cut! In the end I just couldn't

Really good question. Before I started pre clinicals they gave us all the Myers BRigg's Personality test and it indicated I should do surgery same with the personality test on the Careers in Medicine site. I agree with the above posts it's weird how 8 weeks can dictate the rest of your life. I hated my surgery rotation - hours sucked and I didn't care for surgery at all. The first few were interesting, particularly the burn and TRauma cases and CT surg, but aside from that the other surgeries didn't float my boat at all. I did my surgery rotation when Borat came out so I used to sing the Kazahkstan 'national anthem' during surgery to entertain myself. I also invented songs to stop my mind from nodding off. One of my attendings had a pinhead so I came up with my first hit single "You've got a pinhead and you know it", "I just can't get over you (and your inflammed gallbladder)", "My heart will go on (with this pacemaker)" I'm planning to release all songs after med school to pay off my loans ;). I think you should assess how you felt in the OR. Did you like it? Did the hours not bother you if you ended up spending it in the OR? Can you see yourself in an OR for the rest of your life? Did you like most of the surgeons on service with you? Did you like the OR staff? If you really loved OR (even after the novelty wore up) then do a Surgery Sub-I and see how it goes. If you still like it then you should go for it. If you liked the surgical stuff ie the procedures but really loved dealing with medical issues too then consider an Internal Medicine specialty that does procedures such as GI, Cards, Interventioal Pulmonary (that will be a huge field in the future). Surgeons are known for not (at least in my experience) really focusing too much on medical findings (most institutes thery turf if the pt is a little bit complcated, which in some places means an elevated CBG). During my rotation very rarely did I see a Stethoscope used, the reason is that they are really busy and they love to cut! In the end I just couldn't stand the OR and I didn't like shying away from medical problems as much as they did.

I was reading the surgery forum where a similar question was asked.
This that follows was one of the replies(the blue text). What do you think of this type of comment? Do you think this can be seen as a turf war issue?

"
I think the problem you're having is similar to the one a lot of non-surgeon doctors struggle with from time to time, especially those guys in procedure-oriented areas like interventional cards, interventional rads, GI, heck, even pulmonary, and renal to some extent. Everyone wants to be the doctor who's able to swoop in like a bad-ass and save the day with his hands and some well placed incisions. It's romantic. It's the Hollywood doctor. It's what lay people think about when they think about how this doctor or that doctor saved a life.

Look at the medical dramas on television or reality television series like those ER shows on Discovery. They depict physicians in a constant life and death struggle. It's cool to gown up, slap on the gloves, do the little dance with the tech and then drape the patient and crack the chest, lap the belly, or soemthing similar. That's the kind of drama I believe a lot of people go to medical school for, but find that the majority of physicians (those trained in IM instead) just sorta sit around all day, discussing social work issues, and running laundry-lists of medications just waiting for the clock to hit 4PM.

So what's my point? You want to be a surgeon, or at least have the look and feel about you, but you don't want to put in the kind of time necessary to learn the art in its full form. It's a common thing amongst the non-surgeons. That's why they become the interventional cardiologists, GI docs, renal docs, etc. That's why these interventioanlists and endoscopists keep moving toward doing more and more and pushing that envelope. 'Cause they want the glory too. A GI doc wanting to make the case that THEY should do NOTES? A renal doc telling me that THEY should be the ones maturing the AVFs that I create? An IR guy telling me that THEY should be deploying endografts to fix a AAA? Why else would the patient sitting in preop that I'm about to take to resect her colon refer to her GI doc as "my surgeon?" That's cause the GI doc lets her think that. He says things like "I'm going to do an operation on you to resect the polyp," when he really just means he'll scope her and snag the polyp stalk. Big deal. That's why the IR suite at my institution has "Surgery Suite," plastered all over the front entrance and why the Chief of IR told his kid (during a "take your kid to work day" at the hospital), "Daddy's a kind of surgeon. Come see where Daddy operates." Pathetic.

Sure, they like the feel of someone referring to them as a "surgeon," but they can't handle the complications at all. The boldness of non-surgeons, I think, is a problem when they become too arrogant. It's dangerous and irresponsible. Like my Chairman says, "If you go bear hunting, you better know what to do when you find a bear."

So in answer to your question, there shouldn't really be a struggle. If you want to be comprehensively trained to work with your hands and to be that superhero doctor, then become a surgeon. But you do it with the knowledge that your lifestyle will be significantly different from a medicine doctor and that sometimes you will be called upon as a last resort to fix a bad, bad problem that some lesser-trained doctor caused because he was too arrogant to realize he was headed in dangerous territory. And this often happens on a Friday or Saturday evening when you have dinner plans with your wife or friends.

There may be a bit of a blur between Interventional Cards and Vascular Surgery in your mind, but they are vastly different fields. Vascular Surgeons treat peripheral vascular disease medically, surgically, and sometimes with a stent or endograft. Cardiologists should really only be playing around in the heart with their catheterizations and stuff, but because of their greed, arrogance, and their first crack at vasculopaths, they've started to play around in the peripheral vacular system. It's not right and patients have terrible outcomes because of it.

The training time frame is about the same, although it's a little modified now.

Vascular Surgeons train in one of several ways:
* Five or more years of General Surgery Residency + Two years of Vascular Surgery Fellowship
* Four years of General Surgery Residency + Two years of Vascular Surgery Fellowship
* Three years of General SUrgery Residency + Three years of Vascular Surgery Residency
* Five years of Vascular Surgery Residency

Interventional Cardiologists, on the other hand, train through three or more years of Internal Medicine Residency (including a "Chief Residency" in IM) + three years of Cardiology Fellowship + a year of Interventaional Cardiology Fellowship.

Good luck. Sorry for the rant, but it sometimes just drives me up the wall when these guys mess up because of their arrogance and disregard for the patient and expect you, the surgeon, to fix it up for them so they won't get sued. You're somewhat obligated, but I question the wisdom of this as I think it only allows them to try and get away with more since there's always a fall back guy."

the above post is just one person's opinion. most people don't think that shallowly. he's correct in that to be the dramatic doctor that flies in to save the day, you're usually the surgeon. however, although saying that GI doctors shouldn't do NOTES may have its merits, saying cardiologists shouldn't be stenting the carotids or renals is lame. IR guys have been doing it as well as cardiologists as well as vascular surgeons. what's wrong with that? sure it takes away business but it's life - deal with it.

catheter based things are endovascular surgery so yes the IR guy kind of a surgeon - but not the kind most people associate with. the surgeons are gonna get even more pissy when percutaneous valve replacements are here. oh man oh man.

With regard to the quoted post, I have a hard time believing the pop psychology the surgeon is using to claim that intervention-types in medicine is full of people who want to cut but are too inadequate/lazy/uncommitted/whatever to do general surgery. Hell, when I was growing up, my concept of a "real doctor" was a primary care physician. It's a matter of personality and what you expect out of your career. I don't mind or fear the surgery hours - hell, I think I would have done CT surgery if I had chosen to do general surgery as a residency. I like medicine, and pulmonary in particular, because of the particular diagnoses and diagnostic challenges, actual interactions with patients, and being able to follow patients longitudinally at the level of a hospital stay and beyond. The example laid out during my clerkships, which for better or worse inform a lot of our decision-making, told me that surgery in the end wasn't going to be for me. Everyone is different, so don't buy the BS that guy is peddling - we don't all covet the "glory" of being a surgeon. And am I the only one that thinks this guy has a chip on his shoulder?

And while the surgeons do bail us out, let's not forget we bail out the surgeons plenty as well.

the chip on his shoulder is probably the fact he has to work much more than IM physicians yet get paid about the same or less as the IM specialties. it'd probably make most people pretty chippy.

Hi--I have a feeling that there is going to be a mass amt. of angry responses to the blue post--needless to say, his reasoning is BS, so, if possible--I'd like to avoid the needless argumentation and hopefully continue the topic that was started. (NDESTRUCK & argh, this is not directed at you, just hopefully proactively consolidating the direction of the thread)

Interesting surgery post actually. I've seen that opinion thrown around in our surgery department. I'm going to throw this out there and see if anyone else has seen this observation. More than a lot of other healthcare fields there seems to be a high burnout with them. The interns can't wait to get into the OR, the residencts share the same excitement but a little reduced and most of the attendings hate going into the OR. (at least in my institute). They seem to bang their heads quite a bit if there is a full OR schedule (obviously they can't hate it that much if they are still working). Plus being with medicine the older you get the better you get, surgeons have a little bit of 'Sell by date'. They get better by age to a point and then the wealth of experience starts to be counteracted by the decrease in reflexes, dexterity that comes with getting older. I also think that interventional si going to be the way of the future, that or minimally invasive procedures. Why go to the OR to have a straight VATS when you could get a pigtail in IR. Interesting post though by the surgeon.

PS If you want to piss off a surgeon tell them you watch Grey's Anatomy. They ALL seem to be pissed off about that show!

Members don't see this ad :)
;) There's no winning or losing team, there are just two different approaches to patient care, two different paradigms of learning, and two vastly different skill and knowledge sets. No one with half a brain in his (or her) head, including the author of the blue post I'm quite sure, believes truly and deep down that either field is "better" than the other except with respect to its suitability for a person's aptitudes and personality.

I feel fairly qualified to discuss, as I left a surgery residency for IM. I don't regret the change, nor do I regret my initial choice of surgery. I recognized that for the kind of doctor, and person, I aspire to be, training in medicine turns out to be better for me. I want to habitually think about all the "why's" and "what if's" and the interrelatedness of things. But my approach to patient care still is heavily weighted toward the interventional, the quick and confident decision, and the prompt outcome - so I've chosen pulmonary/critical care for my specialty.

My point after all this rambling is that there's no shortcut to figuring out where you belong, you just have to cut through all the romanticisms and stereotypes and sound bites and see what will satisfy you in the end.

Throughout these past 4 years I've had some exposure to these turf wars. It seems a bit silly that we can't all just get along. Doesn't it make sense that there are bad doctors in every field of medicine? I can guarantee that there are a good percentage of med students who go into surgery for respect and glory. Because we have been used to abuse our whole lives (working towards medical school), they figure what's another 5 years if I will finally have that respect. I actually fell into this trap for a while and felt a little "on tilt" when others said I "look like a surgeon". These people should definitely not be going into surgery. They should find something that really suits them. Luckily, I was able to put some of the glory aside and apply for medicine. Now, the glory I look forward to is PTCA and scoping.

The real question is this, are there med students who go into internal medicine or non-surgical fields, who would have been better off doing surgery? I don't know if that is true. I just know that there are bad doctors in every field. Whatever the reason for them being bad, that's up for grabs. It's just that they're bad.

Let's stop ganging up on each other. Why don't we gang up on drug companies or insurance companies? Let's respect our mutual background of healing. And fix others' mistakes without making a huge commotion. Am I just the most naive person in the world?

I just wanted to thank you guys for your professional and mature response to this post. What was posted in the Surgery forum (and cut and pasted above) obviously is one person's opinion and whether or not it is shared by others, I think we can all agree it was potentially inflammatory. I even questioned why it was posted here because I could envision the riot it might have caused.

Is there grumbling that goes on when it comes to "fixing other's mistakes?" Sure. But for the most part, we understand that in the hands of skilled proceduralists, these things will happen....regardless of whether or not the endoscopist is a surgeon or a gastroenterologist. Frankly, I was grateful to the GI guys who managed the IBD patients, the bleeds, the livers, etc.

Thanks to everyone for conveying the truth that most people do not have troube choosing IM or Surgery and that while these turf wars do exist, they do not have to nasty. We have far bigger battles to fight...insurance companies, drug companies, dentists that want to do face lifts, etc.

I loved the OR, I loved trauma and SICU, I loved acute issues and quick decision making, but at the end of the day, I couldn't stand the culture. I don't even mind long hours and hard work, but I'm not going to allow people to treat me like that. And the canned surgeon response to the BS culture is, "well, that's just the way it is" . . . OK, I can respect their reality, but I'm not interested. 3 months of surgery, with 6 weeks of in-patient general surgery being treated horribly was enough to convince me that I'm not a surgeon. I may like surgery, but I'm NOT a surgeon. It was an important distinction for me to make.

IM I like because it is much more gentlemanly and team based (surgeons like to use the word "team" too, but in my experience it was only used when needed to shame me into doing something for anyone above me in the hierarchy, but never the other way around. For instance, I never saw a chief do the "team thing" and maybe finish a consult I had started if it was getting late in the day and I needed to go for personal reasons). In IM I saw attendings, seniors, and interns who all would do their best to help each other. One attending would actually stay late on call, so that H&P's would not have to be done in the morning prior to starting rounds - after presenting, he walked me through all of my history and physical and told me stuff he would have liked to have heard or have had me describe and the stuff that was unnecessary. It was a VERY valuable experience - as opposed to my surgery rotation when I was merely told, "you doing it wrong, start again" "why are you in third year?" "didn't anyone teach you how to do an H&P?" - it was ridiculous and even abusive IMHO. I had senior residents when not busy take me through differentials, talk to me about their thought processes, what each and every lab value meant to their diagnosis and plan, what the next steps in management were. Interns who actually took the time to help me with the mechanics of presenting, when to say things, how to say things, best strategies for following and writing notes on multiple patients. I merely realized that this is the way I am. I fit. Every physician surgeon or otherwise "thinks" - I just jive with the way it's done in IM.

Also, IM takes anyone and I like that. When everyone else is turfing, we treat, do our best. I remember one senior on my subI trying to walk the Ortho senior through the management of this patient's HTN, when she finally, said, "Never mind, we'll take the patient, please stop by and check the wound - write a note, K?"

Finally, after rounds the senior looks at the team and says, "Ok, you run down to radiology and talk to them about Ms. Smith's CT, you page cards and let them know we need a cult on Mr. Green, you need to track down social work and see if can get Mrs. Bryan a home health nurse, you need to call PM&R on Mr. Callahan, see if they'll take him in rehab . . . but first . . . lets get lunch . . ." :thumbup: Right on.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience during your surgical rotation because its not that way everywhere.

Its one of the reasons why we do such a bad job of preparing medical students for their future career. A bad experience during medical school clerkships, 6, 8 or 12 weeks, makes up your mind for the rest of your life.

Had my IM clerkship been better (it was my plan when I started medical school) and my surgery one worse, I might be in a totally different place.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience during your surgical rotation because its not that way everywhere.

Its one of the reasons why we do such a bad job of preparing medical students for their future career. A bad experience during medical school clerkships, 6, 8 or 12 weeks, makes up your mind for the rest of your life.

Had my IM clerkship been better (it was my plan when I started medical school) and my surgery one worse, I might be in a totally different place.

Dr. Cox, while I appreciate the sentiment, and agree in general about "6, 8, 12" week clerkships with respect to future career goals, I have to respectfully say I find your comment a bit disingenuous. It's not that way everywhere? OK, I'm willing to concede that in the most abstract and general use of that phrase, "not that way everywhere" you may be correct. I would love to find that place, if for nothing else to satiate my curiosity, much the same way I would if I had a chance to see a white buffalo, because what I experienced is not some sort of isolated incident. You've seen the posts on here on SDN - the same stuff every cycle, every year, different schools and different services, yet always the same crap. This was the same experience of my father over 30 years ago, and all of his contemporaries tell the same stories irrespective of school or place of training. So what gives?

This isn't meant to be seen as an attack (which would be really, really "bad form" to attack any administrator), so I hope I've caused no offense. I am merely trying to point out what I see as the REAL problem - which may not even be seen as a "problem" by those who are comfortable with said culture. I have a good friend who got on great in general surgery because he like the culture. So, I think it is only fair to say it exists, it always has, and it probably always will. Some of us don't play well within that system. The way I see it, things will continue as they always have until people like you decide it needs to change. Maybe my son will find the surgical environment much less hostile?

Which is too bad because I came to medical school to be surgeon. Sour grapes? I'll cop to some of that. I just think its just sad - I would have been a kickbutt surgeon - and my main reason for not wanting surgery, the culture. What a kick in nads, huh?

Dr. Cox, while I appreciate the sentiment, and agree in general about "6, 8, 12" week clerkships with respect to future career goals, I have to respectfully say I find your comment a bit disingenuous. It's not that way everywhere? OK, I'm willing to concede that in the most abstract and general use of that phrase, "not that way everywhere" you may be correct. I would love to find that place, if for nothing else to satiate my curiosity, much the same way I would if I had a chance to see a white buffalo, because what I experienced is not some sort of isolated incident. You've seen the posts on here on SDN - the same stuff every cycle, every year, different schools and different services, yet always the same crap. This was the same experience of my father over 30 years ago, and all of his contemporaries tell the same stories irrespective of school or place of training. So what gives?

I dunno...I've seen just as many people complain when I post about how horrible my residency was...they say, "its that way in the Northeast/academic programs/only general surgery" etc and that I'm painting a picture of surgery that doesn't exist everywhere. I guess I can't win for losing...either I'm being disingenuous or I'm painting too black of a picture.

The fact is that neither you and I have trained at anymore than a couple of places so cannot be experts on what surgery is like everywhere. And as much as I complained about my own residency program, it was not because of the surgeon's personalities there (save for one or two) but rather the system and design of the residency. I know for a fact, that my ex-SO and friends have trained at programs that were much "kinder and gentler" and having rotated at some of these for electives, I believe what they told me.
So, its not meant to be disingenuous, but rather a realization that surgery doesn't have to be how you and I experienced it.

I can also attest to the strong team ethic I also experienced. As a matter of fact, it was for this reason that we violated work hours - you don't want to sign out work that belonged to your team. So if that meant the Chief was making new patient lists or calling in consults, so be it...whatever it took to get everyone home as early as possible. That doesn't mean I haven't seen Chief residents refuse to do "intern work" but that attitude was highly discouraged at my program, so it wasn't often that I saw it. From my vantage point the medicine program was much more likely to sign out at 5:00 on the dot, even if there was work left to do. That to me, doesn't say team effort but rather "me first".

This isn't meant to be seen as an attack (which would be really, really "bad form" to attack any administrator), so I hope I've caused no offense.

Of course you haven't. This shouldn't be about insulting each other and it should be more about trying to understand each other's view point. I've met some horrible personalties in surgery, to be sure, but I've also met some real PITAs in other fields as well. I think the "surgical personality" tends to be more impatient and to the point and if someone is more of a "Type B" person, they may perceive this as malignant, arrogant or rude. And it probably is sometimes, but I would like to think its not meant to be.

NB: "attacking an administrator" gets you the same warning as if I was a regular citizen. So don't spare me on that account! ;)

I am merely trying to point out what I see as the REAL problem - which may not even be seen as a "problem" by those who are comfortable with said culture. I have a good friend who got on great in general surgery because he like the culture. So, I think it is only fair to say it exists, it always has, and it probably always will. Some of us don't play well within that system. The way I see it, things will continue as they always have until people like you decide it needs to change. Maybe my son will find the surgical environment much less hostile?

I agree that a surgical culture exists and there does need to be some changes. For example, surgeons have no one to blame but themselves when they complain about work hour restrictions. But it was the surgical mentality of "this is not important to me" or "they'll never do it to us" that got them into such a predicament.

Surgeons tend to focus on their work and not other things...fortunately, some of the ostriches are pulling their heads out of the sand and trying to understand and fix reimbursement issues, turf war issues, work hour restrictions and training issues, etc. So perhaps your son will find surgery a kinder and gentler experience than you and I. I doubt it will ever be as touchy-feely as other fields, but that's because of the people who are drawn to it. But I cannot help but feel that the influence of more women, more people interested in lifestyle and the acceptance of different types of people into the field will have a positive impact.

Which is too bad because I came to medical school to be surgeon. Sour grapes? I'll cop to some of that. I just think its just sad - I would have been a kickbutt surgeon - and my main reason for not wanting surgery, the culture. What a kick in nads, huh?

What's really sad is that you might have found a program without as much of the culture you depise. These tend to exist mostly in community programs where you find people less interested in their own egos and more about just having fun, getting work done and playing well with others. Even the anesthesiologists will tell you that the surgeons in PP and at community places are much easier to get along with.

Maybe its sour grapes on my part as well...I was fairly disgusted with what I could call "IM culture" during medical school. I could not understand the "one-upmanship" for minutiae and most gallingly, leaving stuff until the next day (one patient who stands out needed a pleurocentesis. For several days, it was left to the end of the day and then put off until the next day. Sure the patient was ok, but he would have been better if someone had been willing to stay late and do it). And the incessant and lengthy rounding really just took the "fun" out of medicine for me.

So, no worries...I"m not insulted and would hope you aren't either. I do honestly believe that while my residency program would win no awards in lacking the typical surgical culture, that those programs do exist and that not every surgeon is an arrogant prick. We might seem like it, but really we're teddy bears in scrubs. ;)

Kimberli Cox said:
I just wanted to thank you guys for your professional and mature response to this post. What was posted in the Surgery forum (and cut and pasted above) obviously is one person's opinion and whether or not it is shared by others, I think we can all agree it was potentially inflammatory. I even questioned why it was posted here because I could envision the riot it might have caused.

Is there grumbling that goes on when it comes to "fixing other's mistakes?" Sure. But for the most part, we understand that in the hands of skilled proceduralists, these things will happen....regardless of whether or not the endoscopist is a surgeon or a gastroenterologist. Frankly, I was grateful to the GI guys who managed the IBD patients, the bleeds, the livers, etc.

Thanks to everyone for conveying the truth that most people do not have troube choosing IM or Surgery and that while these turf wars do exist, they do not have to nasty. We have far bigger battles to fight...insurance companies, drug companies, dentists that want to do face lifts, etc.

This is so true. Also, keeping the mid-levels at bay. Physicians of the future will need to be proactive and lobby harder, I think.

Because IM is better!!

No seriously, I considered surgery for a while, and still think about it sometimes with a little sigh. I loved my rotation, and I think the OR is fabulous, but the lifestyle (for general surg anyway) struck me as worse than IM (which may not be true), and a major red flag was my discomfort and embarrassment at adult professionals throwing tantrums on a regular basis. That may just be at my school, and it certainly wasn't everyone, but the fact that it was accepted just seemed ridiculous.
The major reason is because I fell in love with IM -- I love the discussions of case, and the rounding as a team (and yes, I do love the rounds, which are what most people can't stand), and mostly I feel like the people are the people that I most associate with -- at my school, they were the most caring, intelligent, intellectual people... and they had somewhat normal lives and interests outside of the hospital.

Anyway, I loved both, and I think that either field gives you some pretty amazing options to pursue after residency... I still can see the draw of surgery, but there were some things about the culture that really bothered me, and I didn't find that in medicine, so I chose.

In the end, I think you'll find that we all state specific reasons why we chose one field over another, but it's kind of a gestalt thing. Which do you feel best about? Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Do you have life goals outside of medicine? This may be the kind of thing where you might make a full pros and cons list...
nice post, it helped me immensely

Hi, this is for those of you who were debating between IM (and/or the IM specialties) and surgery. What influenced you to choose IM? I am leaning towards IM (possibly cardio) now..before I state my reasons, what factors influenced your decision?

The deciding factor for me was that surgery sucks. Long hours, high acuity, standing for prolonged periods of time, and the funny clothes.

The idea of getting called at 3:00 AM for yet another case of appendicitis when I’m in my 50s didn’t appeal to me.

Reactions: 3 users
The deciding factor for me was that surgery sucks. Long hours, high acuity, standing for prolonged periods of time, and the funny clothes.

The idea of getting called at 3:00 AM for yet another case of appendicitis when I’m in my 50s didn’t appeal to me.

It’s interesting you say that because I have a different experience on this. I like acuity and clearly don’t mind getting called in for cases (hence why I’m going into IC). I think for me it was a personality fit partly - I didn’t get the same love out of stitching up skin that some of my surgery going compatriots did, and I also didn’t love the extreme hierarchy (not that this doesn’t exist in some IM programs). I also find that most general surgery in the community doesn’t interest me - hernia repairs, appys, choles, etc. I also have a terrible attention span and don’t want to deal with cases that last more than an hour or two at most.

To me I found that IM and it’s subspecialties offered me the most versatility. As a cardiologist I do clinical medicine (clinic, inpatient, CCU), radiology (echo, nucs, vascular, CT/MRI if I choose), and procedures (cath, TEE, EP if I choose). It offers me a break from one thing and keeps me interested.

Obviously it’s not one size fits all - and maybe that’s the point!

Reactions: 1 users
They said I’d get used to functioning on 3 hours of sleep. Months went by, I didn’t get used to it.

I also didn’t want to spend 5+ years in some miserable location.

PGY-1: I don’t regret my decision at all.

Reactions: 3 users
They said I’d get used to functioning on 3 hours of sleep. Months went by, I didn’t get used to it.

I also didn’t want to spend 5+ years in some miserable location.

PGY-1: I don’t regret my decision at all.

Godspeed.

The only people meaner in the hospital were the ob/gyns, and they're really just a type of surgeon after all, anyway.

I don't like standing, I do like sitting. I don't like cutting, I do like typing. You can listen to a lot of music in either specialty. You eat and piss more in IM, and those things are important to my daily workflow.

That is breaking it down to the most basic terms.

Reactions: 1 users
Side note: LOL at the surgical resident in 2007 complaining about vascular interventions being done by interventional cards. 11 years later, IC still going strong doing those. That particular post smelled of some BS surgeon bravado chest thumping

Side note: LOL at the surgical resident in 2007 complaining about vascular interventions being done by interventional cards. 11 years later, IC still going strong doing those. That particular post smelled of some BS surgeon bravado chest thumping
I wonder where he is now. Probably doing vein work and amputations. Ahah.

This is a stupid question that did not deserve a necrobump IMO. Its like the “why do you want to be a doctor?” type of question.

I went IM>Surgery, because:

I didn't mind writing/typing notes.
I like to talk. And I like hearing my patients talk.
When I want to pee, I want to do it now.
When I want to eat something, I want to be able to do it within 1 hour.
When I get called in overnight, I only want to have to use my brain and not my hand-eye coordination too.
I sucked at suturing.
I would not be able to handle a 90-minute case becoming a 4-hour case because of a complication.