Why did you choose medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mohammedshsh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What was it about medicine that attracted you to the field?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can always tell who the newbies are.

OP, use the "Search" function to help with your question.

Hmm... I didn't know it was such a big deal that there has to be only one post about a specific topic..... if it's such a big deal then alright.

there are also a couple links at the bottom of this thread under "similar threads" that might get ya started

im going into medicine to get the nurses and the gold diggin hot babes....:laugh:

there are also a couple links at the bottom of this thread under "similar threads" that might get ya started

Have you clicked on those? They all say the same thing as this one; basically: "Write your own PS". "Use the search function". "Money, power, women,"...

lol, as GhostFoot said, all those other threads give pretty rude responses.
And as for the "Write your own PS", if you are THAT paranoid that someone is gonna steal your idea, then just don't post at all. Stop making a big dead out of it. There's a reason why its called a PERSONAL statement, and that's because it can only apply to that ONE person.

As for the OP, these are my reasons:
I mainly chose medicine because I can't fit into anything else: computers, math, engineering, business. I'm a person of change, technology, and education: medicine is something that's constantly changing, technology is a heavy aspect of the field, and there's always something new to learn and a new challenge to overcome in medicine.

Plus, my volunteering in EMS for almost a year and my soon-to-come status of EMT-B has shown me the difference that I make and shown me what a branch of medicine is really about--even from the calls I frequently get at 3 AM, some uncooperative patients, and running around on cold rainy nights or hot afternoons. Its about seeing a smile on someone's face knowing that their beloved is safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
chicks, money, power, and chicks
it the only think i can see myself doing the rest of my life.
Besides that, girls, money, respect, girls and girls are additional motivations!

lol, as GhostFoot said, all those other threads give pretty rude responses.
And as for the "Write your own PS", if you are THAT paranoid that someone is gonna steal your idea, then just don't post at all. Stop making a big dead out of it. There's a reason why its called a PERSONAL statement, and that's because it can only apply to that ONE person.

As for the OP, these are my reasons:
I mainly chose medicine because I can't fit into anything else: computers, math, engineering, business. I'm a person of change, technology, and education: medicine is something that's constantly changing, technology is a heavy aspect of the field, and there's always something new to learn and a new challenge to overcome in medicine.

Plus, my volunteering in EMS for almost a year and my soon-to-come status of EMT-B has shown me the difference that I make and shown me what a branch of medicine is really about--even from the calls I frequently get at 3 AM, some uncooperative patients, and running around on cold rainy nights or hot afternoons. Its about seeing a smile on someone's face knowing that their beloved is safe.

Thanks, a real reply

In defense of Mohammedshsh, most of the other threads at the bottom have 20+ posts of people telling the poster "there are 100 threads of this, blah blah blah ect."

Instead of actually clicking on the thread, yelling at the poster, you could have actually typed your answer.

For me: I think the world of medicine is amazing. I like the challenge, I can't even explain it, it just feels right. Working to help people, having the knowledge to help people, researching diseases, different fields, different scenarios. The whole process people take in becoming a doctor. It's all just attractive to me and why I am working to accomplish it.

Instead of actually clicking on the thread, yelling at the poster, you could have actually typed your answer.

But what fun would that be? And how would anyone ever learn to use the search function if we did that? :laugh:

I actually have less problem with the OP's question, which gets asked pretty much every couple of months, and more annoyed with the "chicks, money, power, and chicks" response, which gets offered pretty much every time this question is asked like clockwork, and was perhaps funny or clever the first time we all heard it on Scrubs, but is quite old at this point. Even if the questions are recycled, do the answers really have to be too?

I want to spend my life pulling my hair out from dealing with LOL's in NAD. :)

I actually have less problem with the OP's question, which gets asked pretty much every couple of months, and more annoyed with the "chicks, money, power, and chicks" response, which gets offered pretty much every time this question is asked like clockwork, and was perhaps funny or clever the first time we all heard it on Scrubs, but is quite old at this point.

Dr. Cox's lines never get old. Please stop blaspheming the all encompassing beauty that is Scrubs. That is all.

Here's one of my fav coxisms:

“Ohh, my God. I’m gagging and vomiting at the same time! I’m…I’m gavomiting!”

http://coxisms.com/

I'm a masochist. :thumbup:

Slice And Dice! :rolleyes:

But what fun would that be? And how would anyone ever learn to use the search function if we did that? :laugh:

I actually have less problem with the OP's question, which gets asked pretty much every couple of months, and more annoyed with the "chicks, money, power, and chicks" response, which gets offered pretty much every time this question is asked like clockwork, and was perhaps funny or clever the first time we all heard it on Scrubs, but is quite old at this point. Even if the questions are recycled, do the answers really have to be too?

Wait... are you saying you don't think that response is sincere?

Dr. Cox!!!! When I grow up I want to be just like him!!

Wait... are you saying you don't think that response is sincere?

Sincere perhaps. Funny -- when Dr Cox said it the first time, sure. When it shows up in a "why medicine" thread for the zillionth time, not so much. Let's infuse some new comedy already. Someone had to have said something pertinent on House or Grey's on this issue.:D

House and Grey's sucks. Both go along w/ the whole masochist explanation.

i h8 scrubs

you're gonna need this:

istockphoto_842320_flame_boy.jpg

Just give it back when you're done...it belongs to genetics.

i h8 scrubs

Since you didn't capitalize "scrubs" I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant the clothes and not the show.

i feel like this is a way for me to prove how much smarter i am than the average person

In defense of Mohammedshsh, most of the other threads at the bottom have 20+ posts of people telling the poster "there are 100 threads of this, blah blah blah ect."

For me: I think the world of medicine is amazing. I like the challenge, I can't even explain it, it just feels right. Working to help people, having the knowledge to help people, researching diseases, different fields, different scenarios. The whole process people take in becoming a doctor. It's all just attractive to me and why I am working to accomplish it.

So, is it better to indulge in the ineptitude of others? Should someone who endeavors to enter the medical profession really be spoon-fed rather than learning to do some research on their own?

I wanted a job in which I could work as many hours as I wanted without having somebody tell me that overtime was not allowed.

Because I'm a sadist.

I was wandering, concerning this chicks, money, chicks stuff. Since there are a lot of girls here, will their reason be boys, money, and boys?

the show is so awful it's title isn't worthy of being recognized as a proper name.

How can anyone not like Scrubs? It's one of my favorite shows. It was even better during the first 4 seasons because they really talked about the problems in medicine and residency. Now its all about the characters personal lives, but I still LOVE it......

I was wandering, concerning this chicks, money, chicks stuff. Since there are a lot of girls here, will their reason be boys, money, and boys?

Not likely. Pre-med girls have a bad reputation with guys for some reason. Guys think we are too smart for them :D

Since there are a lot of girls here, will their reason be boys, money, and boys?

I am not a chick, but I'd say it is "Prada, Gucci, Coach, and a husband"

I like the challenge, and the field is changing all the time. Not only that but I will be constantly learning something new, so the job will never get old... plus I love the human body, it's a wonder within itself... that is why I centersharpie want to go into medicine...

c.s.

Not likely. Pre-med girls have a bad reputation with guys for some reason. Guys think we are too smart for them :D

Aw, no girl is ever too smart to be attractive. Dumb ones aren't attractive, no matter what they look like.

And to answer the OP's question, it doesn't seem like I actually CHOSE medicine. Its not something that I have ever purposely gone after. It's felt more like it's been choosing me, because every time I do something I love, I find that I'm on a path toward medicine. So, it's probably in my future. Whether I wind up there, or not, it's certainly an interesting and highly worthwhile ride along the way.