"Why did you choose Podiatry?" Asks the patient...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobby Mercer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just about every other patient I see asks me this question. Why did you want to be a podiatrist? What do you have a foot fetish? I am so sick of hearing this question, like they are so shocked we are doing this.

Yes, I want to be a doctor and help people...but why choose podiatry? I don't know, a job, money...I don't know how to farm, I mean what are they looking for here? I don't go around asking why did someone decide to become a truck driver or a garbage man or a bank teller.

Anyway, I am sure everyone has been asked this question by patients and interviewers, so I'm just curious about your responses.

Why did you become a podiatrist?

Members don't see this ad.

I may not yet be a podiatrist, I mean, I haven't even started school yet. But, I do get the question about why I want to be one a lot! I have found that once I explain to people what pods actually do, they are quite surprised at the profession.

Honestly, if this is something you want to do, its quite the smart move to go ahead and specialize right off the bat!

But this is coming from a pre-pods perspective.

I say I like kids and then grin with a poor tooth:gum ratio

Members don't see this ad :)
Answer: I want to help people get back on their feet.

Short and simple.

i haven't had a patient ask me this question. i have had union workers/vets at the local watering hole peeling off socks and shoes and and asking me "this looks bad right?" :rolleyes:

I got asked "Why would you want to do the same job that the Asian ladies do at the mall? Why do you have to be a 'Dr.' to clip toenails?"

"Do you keep the nail clippings? Do you just like the smell of feet? Do you give 'medical foot rubs'? You don't lick feet do you?"

I have some pretty hilarious friends.

Unfortunately, most people don't know what we do or don't know the full capabilities of a well trained podiatrist, surgical or otherwise.

My answer is very simple.

I tell them I wanted to be a proctologist........

but there weren't enough openings.