Why did you guys choose Dental school instead of medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PERFECT3435 said:
its amazing how many of these threads we see. someone starts a dumb thread to make everyone angry while they never even look back. and yet, we keep posting in these threads.

who's angry? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I am a non-traditional student, turning 24 this month, and still lacking some prereqs.

Dentistry was always my first choice, but I did take a look at medicine before deciding.

The main things that I liked over medicine were higher hourly pay, less hours to work (more time with family or on golf course), being my own boss, shorter or non-existant residencies, and working with teeth.

1. My GPA is too low to be considered by any medical school.
2. I'm too old to do 4+ years of internship and residency.
3. DAT is much easier than MCAT. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the main reason that a person chooses med school over dental school, and vice versa, is what they desire in a career (passion, years of education and training, lifestyle, levels of stress). I've known classmates that could have gotten into med school, but chose dental school, and this also applies the other way around too. Personally, since dentistry is not my passion, I would be doing a great disservice for the field, patients, and I would also be taking a spot away from a more deserving student.

Is it true that Dentists have better control on where they want to work than MD's?

seriously, from now on when people post this question let's everyone just not answer. it is one thing if someone wants to know why do we want to go to dental school. but when someone asks why do we want to go to dental school "instead of med school", you know they are just saying it to be obnoxious :mad:

besides, everyone knows that unless you have a true passion for medicine, dentistry is the better choice in every way besides the ego boosting those md's love :D

aggie-master said:
I am a non-traditional student, turning 24 this month, and still lacking some prereqs.

Dentistry was always my first choice, but I did take a look at medicine before deciding.

The main things that I liked over medicine were higher hourly pay, less hours to work (more time with family or on golf course), being my own boss, shorter or non-existant residencies, and working with teeth.

Hey aggie, were in the same boat.
I feel really old, but thats ok I like Dentistry, and the amount of training is great when you get to my age as opposed to medicine.

Why did you guys choose Dental school instead of medical school?

that question is on the top ten list of "most annoying questions asked towards a (wannabe) dental student," right next to "is it true that dentists have the highest suicide rate?

whenever someone asks me that second question, i just wanna scream "yes, dammit, isn't it obvious i want to shoot myself! thanks for triggering me!"