Why discouragement for IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gharfunkle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year medical student who's pretty serious about pursuing IM and most likely a subspecialty as well. However, several people I have talked to, including some who have finished with IM residency, discourage me and recommend other non-medicine fields. I am not so easily discouraged by what others have to say and I'm still passionate about medicine. What I want to know is, why is there such a bias against medicine? What misconceptions are out there? I have heard about lifestyle issues but isn't a physician's lifestyle ultimately in his or her own hands to some extent? I know that being a medicine doc requires some sacrifice that is reasonable because you are doing it to help patients. But if later in life, one needs more time for other things as well, is it possible cut down on the amount of work one does? I wouldn't even mind having a substantially decreased income if I was able to do that. Any thoughts? Any comments people who are finished with residency and practicing in IM or subspecialties would be especially appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been working as a hospitalist for a few years and can say that there are pretty good jobs and opportunities to start practices in gorwing areas, but it is hard to get a nice paying job in some big cities like Chicago where I am now. I think all specialties are tight in Chicago, but specialties that are in higher demand like rad or subspecialties like cards and gi have a little easier time.

But check your area. I know in Texas where I am from there are great opportunities in the city and GIM docs do well and can decide how busy they want to be.

IM is not the only field that has unhappy people practicing. In fact, every field has it. You are just talking to the wrong people. Some people value other things in life rather than what IM has to offer. Besides, if you listen to them, you'll end up doing optho, urology, or radiology...I don't know about you but those disciplines are fields that I would never consider. Do you really want to be a penis doctor? If you do, then listen to the naysayers.