You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
why do 2 year-olds cry when you look them in the ear?
Started by psychforme
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
mmmm...maybe because they're two?
Either that or you're not doing it right.
Either that or you're not doing it right.
Because you are
1. Giant (compared to them)
2. A stranger
3. sticking an unnatural object into a bodily orifice that isn't usually violated by anthing otherr than their own finger.
4. If you're smart, Momma is helping to immobilize them, which they also don't like
5. Lastly, it's very easy to make otoscopy hurt, even for the experienced (if you want to learn how to do it well, talk to the OTOs as well as the experienced pediatricians/FPs)
1. Giant (compared to them)
2. A stranger
3. sticking an unnatural object into a bodily orifice that isn't usually violated by anthing otherr than their own finger.
4. If you're smart, Momma is helping to immobilize them, which they also don't like
5. Lastly, it's very easy to make otoscopy hurt, even for the experienced (if you want to learn how to do it well, talk to the OTOs as well as the experienced pediatricians/FPs)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I often find it uncomfortable. If I was two I'd probably cry too. 

One of our attendings demonstrated otoscopy on me, it wasn't so bad.
Until he busted out the pneumatic bulb insufflation. That was pretty gnarly. So I guess I can see where those toddlers are coming from...
BTW, I recently lost a sock in the dryer, searched high and low, gave up, threw away the 1 matching sock I did find...then I found the other one on the floor of the closet or something. Siiigh.
Until he busted out the pneumatic bulb insufflation. That was pretty gnarly. So I guess I can see where those toddlers are coming from...
BTW, I recently lost a sock in the dryer, searched high and low, gave up, threw away the 1 matching sock I did find...then I found the other one on the floor of the closet or something. Siiigh.
Even in elementary school I remember being afraid of having to have my ears checked (my Mom used to threaten me with that when I didn´t seem to listen to what she wanted me to do), and that's because I thought that a) it hurts to have things being stuck in there and b) it's dangerous.
Well, now that I've had to do it myself so many times, there's no denying point a) if somebody really feels pain or wiggles so much that it has to hurt - I've caused bleeding in the ear canal in more than one child before, but at least you can tell the toddlers and bigger kids that b) isn't the case!
Well, now that I've had to do it myself so many times, there's no denying point a) if somebody really feels pain or wiggles so much that it has to hurt - I've caused bleeding in the ear canal in more than one child before, but at least you can tell the toddlers and bigger kids that b) isn't the case!
I think they cry for the same they cry when they can't chew on an electrical cord, eat candy, dump mom's purse out, or do whatever it is that they want.
They pretty much cry whenever they want to.
They pretty much cry whenever they want to.
But why do they not want someone to look in the ear?I think they cry for the same they cry when they can't chew on an electrical cord, eat candy, dump mom's purse out, or do whatever it is that they want.
They pretty much cry whenever they want to.
For the same reason that they don't want you to LP them, place an IV, or place an IO?
But why do they not want someone to look in the ear?
Because they are not doing exactly what they want to be doing. So they cry. That's the reason we can't be 2 year olds forever. That's also why it's called the "Terrible twos"
That's the reason we can't be 2 year olds forever.
Some people try quite hard though...
Here is an interesting movie of a 4 year-old crying for no reason. He's not even looking her in the ear?
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBTJBhxa6zc[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBTJBhxa6zc[/YOUTUBE]
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 2K