Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Glad my school doesn’t put rankings on mspe (or so we’re told).
Our rank is def on our MSPE. Its broken down by non-clinical years rank, 3rd year rank, and then 4th year rank (i guess up to ERAS app).
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Glad my school doesn’t put rankings on mspe (or so we’re told).
Yikes.Our rank is def on our MSPE. Its broken down by non-clinical years rank, 3rd year rank, and then 4th year rank (i guess up to ERAS app).
P=MD my friend.
^this 🙁I was lucky enough to only get "a little dysthymic". Here's my take:
-Isolation- biggest factor
-Everything is so damn competitive- you essentially have to do well to have any sort of say in your residency placement (which you don't have anyway)
-We are all in MASSIVE amounts of debt , even though we probably will be able to pay it off , the mental burden is huge
There are a subset of us (CA transplants) who get extra depressed because:
-A lot of us are FAR away from family - like 7 hour multi-stop plane rides away . A lot of my NE friends are states away from family but can drive home at least.
-Its exceedingly competitive to get back into the state at a half-way decent program for any residency/very limited options in surrounding states- extra anxiety/pressure to succeed
Thank you for acknowledging that. not a lot of people like it when we use podiatry and MD in the same sentence.
Anybody cries during vacation because you don’t wanna go back to school? I’m surprised I’m admitting this because it makes me sound like a preschooler.
Medical students NEVER hurt anyone? My wife on her first day as a 3rd yr was told to take off every dressing, inspect the wound and reinforce the dressing back in place. She removed a compression dressing and the patients leg swelled up like a balloon. Her resident should have been supervising her, yet she got screamed at for the error. I had a medical student respond to the patients question of " What do you think it could be?" His response? "I think its cancer." When I arrived in the room, I practically had to peel the lady off of the ceiling. It wasnt cancer. Medical students require supervision as they are learning their trade. Otherwise they can be put in situations they are not yet ready to handle.Crazy how an experience like that can make or break a rotation.
We as students, never hurt anyone. I don't get why some preceptors think they can abuse us
Unfulfilled expectations. That's the simplest reason I see people less than happy about med school. For me, the key is resetting those expectations and being happy with the reality vs the idealized vision I had as a premed.
...I'll also second what someone said above about all the minutia the school requires that really adds up to eat huge portions of your time. "Only 4 hours of required activities a day, everyone! Also, we need you to sign up for a 3 hour physical exam skills session. Don't forget you need to sign up for a mandatory 1 hour meeting with your adviser. Plus, there's a 1 hour mandatory session about how to get involved in research. By the way, you have 2 hours of pre-reading before your small group session tomorrow at 8 AM. Please don't forget that you have 55 structures on the anatomy hitlist to memorize this week. And we finally sent out the list of possible anatomy questions for the written final - it's 27 pages long, so you should make sure you start memorizing those ASAP. There's also the 6 hours of research we need you to do for your small group sessions every week. Remember to do your weekly essays and reconcile your answers from last week's essays." I can keep going, but that seems sufficient to get the point across...
Agreed. When medical students complain about the amount of information they need to master, they dont yet understand that it's this information and experience that separates them from PAs and NPs. I always say, "Do you want to be the Dr I pick to take care of my wife and kids , or the Dr I choose to take care of my Mother in Law?"I'd call that a component, not the whole reason. The bolded is very important for medicine and life in general.
Love this. Unfortunately it doesn't end in med school, but you just get better at it.
You're right...I guess I haven't seen any example of this, but wow.Medical students NEVER hurt anyone? My wife on her first day as a 3rd yr was told to take off every dressing, inspect the wound and reinforce the dressing back in place. She removed a compression dressing and the patients leg swelled up like a balloon. Her resident should have been supervising her, yet she got screamed at for the error. I had a medical student respond to the patients question of " What do you think it could be?" His response? "I think its cancer." When I arrived in the room, I practically had to peel the lady off of the ceiling. It wasnt cancer. Medical students require supervision as they are learning their trade. Otherwise they can be put in situations they are not yet ready to handle.
They get depressed because they stop exercising.
Furthermore, as one poster noted above, they also can't tolerate not being the smartest person in the room. I once played golf with a Harvard Law grad. He had a classmate who hung himself because his self image was destroyed by the knowledge that other people were just as smart as he was.![]()
Exercise is an all-natural treatment to fight depression - Harvard Health
Antidepressants aren't the only solution for depression. Research shows that exercise works as well as antidepressants for some people, although exercise alone isn't enough for someone with severe ...www.health.harvard.edu
Gosh, I wish someone had told me earlier that I just need to stop being lazy and egotistical. Thanks!They get depressed because they stop exercising.
Furthermore, as one poster noted above, they also can't tolerate not being the smartest person in the room. I once played golf with a Harvard Law grad. He had a classmate who hung himself because his self image was destroyed by the knowledge that other people were just as smart as he was.![]()
Exercise is an all-natural treatment to fight depression - Harvard Health
Antidepressants aren't the only solution for depression. Research shows that exercise works as well as antidepressants for some people, although exercise alone isn't enough for someone with severe ...www.health.harvard.edu
Gosh, I wish someone had told me earlier that I just need to stop being lazy and egotistical. Thanks!
Thank you. Well said!It isn’t about being lazy or egotistical. That’s not what they were trying to say. The person who hung himself had the same issue I see a lot— It’s about having unrealistic expectations of yourself, and allowing the perceptions of others to affect your psyche. That said, I have seen a small proportion of students who come in expecting things to be handed to them because everything was easy up til this point, and they don’t have any resilience or self-understanding. They are fragile. They take instructors calling them out on lack of knowledge or preparation as a sign of toxicity or “abuse,” instead of the challenge that it usually is. But the vast majority of students are not like that, and are normal people who just have very high expectations of themselves that are not flexible enough to survive the fact that they are now in a situation where they may never be “the best” again no matter how hard they work...and more importantly, that it’s okay to be average now because you’re among your peers and you’re still great.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.