Why do people hate Trump?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interestingly, I was curious how often someone was elected despite not getting at least 50% of the popular vote (which by your definition means a majority of Americans did not want them to be president).

Apparently, it is happened at least 20 times. The American people really didn't want Kennedy, Nixon, Wilson or Clinton either time, and many more.

List of United States presidential elections by popular vote margin - Wikipedia

Your answer is a straw man. It has nothing to do with anything. Three way elections don't prove anything anymore than using the registered voter argument. Clinton would have beaten Bush head to head, Nixon would have beaten Humphrey. While the Kennedy Nixon raise was very close, by 1964 Kennedy would have won a Landslide,,..... Look at 1980. Reagan didn't get 51% of the popular vote yet we won an electoral college landslide and the networks called the election at 8:15pm

Trump is not popular for a variety of reasons. As of know he will not get re-elected. But times change. By this point or a little after Bush 41 had a 90% approval and lost in 1992. Way too early to make a firm prediction about where the electorate will be in 2020....

For now, he is the President. For better or worse.....

Members don't see this ad.

Interestingly, I was curious how often someone was elected despite not getting at least 50% of the popular vote (which by your definition means a majority of Americans did not want them to be president).

Apparently, it is happened at least 20 times. The American people really didn't want Kennedy, Nixon, Wilson or Clinton either time, and many more.

List of United States presidential elections by popular vote margin - Wikipedia
seriously? The majority of americans have never voted for an individual person - to use total population and compare it to total number of votes for individual A means nothing - you have to look at percentage of people who voted (and a bare minimum of eligible voters). Because some 6 year old didn't vote doesn't mean they didn't want that person as a their president. I would hope someone smart enough to go to pharmacy school would understand this basic principle

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of neutral on it right now.

My tax bracket likely won't change, which I'm okay with.

You see, that's the problem. It will only benefit people making a ton of money, not pharmacists or the middle class. It will also take away several deductions the average person can claim. The middle class always gets screwed. This tax overhaul is just a slight of hand. Just handing money to the super-rich. I have a problem > 30% of my income in taxes, while millionaires are taxed < 20%.

You see, that's the problem. It will only benefit people making a ton of money, not pharmacists or the middle class. It will also take away several deductions the average person can claim. The middle class always gets screwed. This tax overhaul is just a slight of hand. Just handing money to the super-rich. I have a problem > 30% of my income in taxes, while millionaires are taxed < 20%.
I think the new plan will really only raise taxes for middle class people that live in expensive homes in high-tax states.

I'm also all for the rich getting a cut when you look at things individually, say some guy makes 100mil and the government confiscates 25mil in taxes per year. Do you really thing that individual is receiving a fair return on what they are paying? Looking at the sheer number it's too much for any individual to expect to pay given that someone making 50k a year pays significantly less yet uses the same roads, airports, and has access to welfare programs. The tax system needs to shift from a mindset of progressive taxation to a mindset of pushing for economic freedom and ensuring people are allowed to keep as much of their personal wealth as possible.

I think the new plan will really only raise taxes for middle class people that live in expensive homes in high-tax states.

I'm also all for the rich getting a cut when you look at things individually, say some guy makes 100mil and the government confiscates 25mil in taxes per year. Do you really thing that individual is receiving a fair return on what they are paying? Looking at the sheer number it's too much for any individual to expect to pay given that someone making 50k a year pays significantly less yet uses the same roads, airports, and has access to welfare programs. The tax system needs to shift from a mindset of progressive taxation to a mindset of pushing for economic freedom and ensuring people are allowed to keep as much of their personal wealth as possible.

I disagree. Paying 25mil on 100mil income is fair. That's still $75mil net income. btw, how many people in the U.S makes 100mil a year? An individual making that much is likely not paying that much in taxes. Most of it is probably taxed as capital gains. Someone making 50k a year may use the same airports, but they definitely do not fly out of the same private jet terminals.

The U.S tax code gives corporations special tax breaks that have reduced what is supposed to be a 35% tax rate to an actual tax rate of ~15%.

If the stock market continues to go up due to tax reform, we all benefit greatly. I'll take any increase over a thousand dollar tax benefit any day.

Only half of American households own stocks. So, some benefit greatly.

Better some then staying the same and no one benefiting.

I'm also all for the rich getting a cut when you look at things individually, say some guy makes 100mil and the government confiscates 25mil in taxes per year. Do you really thing that individual is receiving a fair return on what they are paying?

Look at Conor McGregor...do you honestly think he would have made $100M from his last fight if he wasn't fighting in the U.S.? The point is people got wealthy not only because of their hard work but because of the opportunities this country has created for them.

Reactions: 1 user
seriously? The majority of americans have never voted for an individual person - to use total population and compare it to total number of votes for individual A means nothing - you have to look at percentage of people who voted (and a bare minimum of eligible voters). Because some 6 year old didn't vote doesn't mean they didn't want that person as a their president. I would hope someone smart enough to go to pharmacy school would understand this basic principle
A) Not a pharmacist

B) That's why I also did the math using only registered voters, same outcome

Your answer is a straw man. It has nothing to do with anything. Three way elections don't prove anything anymore than using the registered voter argument. Clinton would have beaten Bush head to head, Nixon would have beaten Humphrey. While the Kennedy Nixon raise was very close, by 1964 Kennedy would have won a Landslide,,..... Look at 1980. Reagan didn't get 51% of the popular vote yet we won an electoral college landslide and the networks called the election at 8:15pm

Trump is not popular for a variety of reasons. As of know he will not get re-elected. But times change. By this point or a little after Bush 41 had a 90% approval and lost in 1992. Way too early to make a firm prediction about where the electorate will be in 2020....

For now, he is the President. For better or worse.....
Whose talking about winning? We're talking pure numbers here. If a majority of the voters don't vote for a candidate, based on what you and others have said about the 2016 election, than then that candidate wasn't wanted by the majority of Americans. I just just surprised to learn how often that happens.

A) Not a pharmacist

Well, the 2016 election saw recorded turnout in terms of raw numbers and was similar to the previous presidential election in terms of percent of adult U.S citizens. A lot of people didn’t vote, but the majority of eligible voters actually did cast a ballot. I’m not sure why you’re arguing about these numbers. Trump is obviously unpopular based on his approval ratings. You aren’t going to win an argument in which you argue that Trump is a popular president.

Members don't see this ad :)
A) Not a pharmacist

man - you have to look at total number of people who voted - show me one election in US history more than 50% of eligible voters actually voted for one candidate? Our voter turn out is so ****ty it rarely happens

That is completely and utter nonsense. Clinton got around 65 million votes. There are over 300 million Americans. So roughly 21% of Americans didn't want Trump.

Let's even us registered voters which amounts to 140 million people. Clinton still only got 46%. So its not even a majority of registered voters who didn't want Trump.
I was extrapolating the results, projecting them into the remaining population that did not vote. There is at least 15,000,000 undocumented individuals that did not vote because they don't have the correct papers. I'm pretty sure the majority of these individual would not have voted trump.

If Trump is dirty, I hope they do, too. I just want justice to be done and for Russia to pay for what they've done.

It was entertaining to watch the media try to turn this into something it wasn't yesterday. The left wing has to be very disappointed that this is all that was found after a year-long investigation. The report states that no one in the Trump administration conspired with the Russians and it didn't impact the election. Waste of taxpayer money by the political hacks in the FBI. Lost all respect for the FBI after Comey who was obviously a political hack.

For those of us who study history, governments interfering in other countries elections is commonplace. Guess who the #1 offender is? Wait for it. Our United States of America.

Just face it. Hillary was a flawed candidate, a criminal and a globalist who would've sold us out to the rest of the world as Obama did. We are much better off from an economic standpoint with Trump which is the most important thing for our country. It's easy for me to ignore all the political theatre and concentrate on what's important. The history books won't address the theatre. They will address the economic boom we are experiencing as a result of his policies of deregulation and tax reduction.

Yeah, no.

Mueller Still Investigating Possible Collusion, Source Says

The investigation isn't over. Nobody should spike their political football quite yet. Who knows where this goes. Sanders and Stein were mentioned as well, so this might not just be a conservative or GOP issue. This needs to be fleshed out and we need to see what this leads to. It was not a waste of money in any way, shape, or form. We now see how Russia is waging a disinformation war against the United States. This is very concerning and Russia needs to pay. Just because it helped your guy doesn't mean it was good. Conservatives need to get this through their thick skulls.

WVU, yes it is disturbing that they attempted to alter our election but not surprising. What is even more alarming to me is that our population is so uneducated and unaware and could so easily be manipulated by these amateur psy-ops.

I don't feel that it is a democrat vs republican issue however the Obama administration knew of this in 2014. They chose to do nothing about it because they thought their candidate would easily win. It's also difficult for me to believe that the NSA with their 30k employees were unaware of the hacking being perpetrated.

I don't care who knew about it in 2014 or that Russia does what Russia always does. This investigation needs to continue to flesh all of this out. And they need to pay. Trump needs to levy heavy sanctions today. Not next month. Not next year. Now.

And if he doesn't...that's suspicious.

I'm all for keeping as much of the personal wealth as possible, as long as certain things are also provided for free and guaranteed. (4 year at a state college should be free, health care should be free, employers should be forced to provide 4 weeks paid vacation, there should be unlimited paid sick days (with medical proof of course), employers should be forced to provide paid maternity and paternity leave).

At the same time I think 4 years public service should be come mandatory, whether its through serving in the military, serving as a park ranger, infrastructure work, coast guard, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm all for keeping as much of the personal wealth as possible, as long as certain things are also provided for free and guaranteed. (4 year at a state college should be free, health care should be free, employers should be forced to provide 4 weeks paid vacation, there should be unlimited paid sick days (with medical proof of course), employers should be forced to provide paid maternity and paternity leave).

At the same time I think 4 years public service should be come mandatory, whether its through serving in the military, serving as a park ranger, infrastructure work, coast guard, etc.

I see what you did there.

Isnt that just called working for the federal government?