Why do pre-meds ask so many stupid questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyronebiggums

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read these threads about "what are my chances" and "how often should I check my status page" and "how did I get rejected?" and I wonder: you are going to be an M.D. yet you still need your diapers changed? Does anyone else notice a lack of independence or insecurity that is not becoming of a doctor? The threads I see seem so childish and wimpy to be honest. Man up!

Members don't see this ad.

Lol doctors are by far one of the most insecure, and image-worrying type of people out there. But its the nature of the game, but I think its a generalization that doesn't carry across most premeds, just a few here and there, at least on these boards...

There are no stupid questions.

Only stupid people who ask them.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a very difficult and confusing process. You're never guaranteed anything. You're under a lot of pressure to be "perfect" in a lot of aspects. People want support.

And then there are the others who want to come in and brag about what they've accomplished and want everyone else to tell them how great they've done.

People around here can give good advice or notice things about us that we didn't realize. For instance I've gotten some great advice regarding a personal statement, which I think will greatly improve my chances

I read these threads about "what are my chances" and "how often should I check my status page" and "how did I get rejected?" and I wonder: you are going to be an M.D. yet you still need your diapers changed? Does anyone else notice a lack of independence or insecurity that is not becoming of a doctor? The threads I see seem so childish and wimpy to be honest. Man up!
Its the same reason why so many premeds use a calculator to add and subtract ridiculously simple math problems: e.g., 11 + 3 = ??

are you pre-med? I know you're an EMT and spend a lot of time in the pre-md forum, but I never hear about you applying or anything.
I'm not applying this cycle.

I think people ask "stupid" questions because they honestly don't know them. I mean, there was a point in everyone's life where you weren't a pre-med. Everyone has to (or had to) learn about all of this random information at some point in their life. What may seem like a "stupid" question to you may be a question that someone has thought long and hard about, and can't find the answer.

I do think that if a question has been answered multiple times on the boards and someone hasn't tried the search function to find an answer, then that would be a stupid question to post.

I do think that if a question has been answered multiple times on the boards and someone hasn't tried the search function to find an answer, then that would be a stupid question to post.

Ding Ding! :thumbup: That's about 3/4 of new pre-allo threads.

My favorites are the people who sign up and make one thread asking, "what do you think of my app?" or something like that. Then they leave, like we are all just supposed to serve them when they've contributed nothing to any of our other discussions.

Seriously, though, it seems like nobody has access to an MSAR or know that it exists. I have a 27 MCAT/3.2 GPA and applied to the top 40 schools in the country--why am I not getting any acceptances? Oh wait, state schools tend to want in-state applicants. Why didn't anybody tell me that before I dropped two G's on this application cycle? :smuggrin:

Personally I'm thinking about a thread with a poll to see how many people really think I am a prick...... :smuggrin: That would at least be somewhat original..... :laugh:

Personally I'm thinking about a thread with a poll to see how many people really think I am a prick...... :smuggrin: That would at least be somewhat original..... :laugh:
depends if you'd WANT them to think you're a prick. if so, you might be pleasantly surprised.. ;)

I like you, I'm just saying..

Members don't see this ad :)
depends if you'd WANT them to think you're a prick. if so, you might be pleasantly surprised.. ;)

I like you, I'm just saying..
Well........I do have a reputation to protect. :smuggrin:

Seriously, though, it seems like nobody has access to an MSAR or know that it exists. I have a 27 MCAT/3.2 GPA and applied to the top 40 schools in the country--why am I not getting any acceptances? Oh wait, state schools tend to want in-state applicants. Why didn't anybody tell me that before I dropped two G's on this application cycle? :smuggrin:

Why are you such a jerk? You don't have to be so MEAN!!!!!!!

My mom said I'm really special and that lots of schools will want me, even Harvvard! And my Grandma is a nurse for a Podiatrist, and he's going to write me a really good letter that will talk about how great a person I am, which all the med schools will love, because he really knows me well!

You're so completely arrogant and rude and mean. I may only be a freshman in college currently taking a half-load semester at my local community college, but once I watched "Life in the ER" on TLC, and I know that all your patients will hate you and you will get sued because I know so much about being a doctor. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :sleep: :p :( :luck: :luck: :luck:

I think pre-meds ask so many stupid questions, because this forum has the crappiest internal search engine in existence.

I've honestly searched for threads I've made with the full title in the search and, although it does come up, it doesn't come up as the first search result.

It would be easier to just google it:p

I think pre-meds ask so many stupid questions, because this forum has the crappiest internal search engine in existence.

I've honestly searched for threads I've made with the full title in the search and, although it does come up, it doesn't come up as the first search result.

It would be easier to just google it:p

I agree; the search feature is pretty bad. I've searched for threads that I know I made so I know the title and it doesn't even come up when I search for it. So where did it go?:confused:

For the same reason why you would even bother asking that question.

I think people ask "stupid" questions because they honestly don't know them. I mean, there was a point in everyone's life where you weren't a pre-med. Everyone has to (or had to) learn about all of this random information at some point in their life. What may seem like a "stupid" question to you may be a question that someone has thought long and hard about, and can't find the answer.

I agree with your take. The questions, as they are, don't bother me at all. What does make me wonder, though, is the apparent lack of investigation/research some people seem to show. As other posts have said, some of these questions could be answered by the basic tools med school applicants should have access to: school websites, MSAR, college guides, AAMC website, etc.

Perhaps because pre-meds, as a group, really aren't that bright? Remember that only around half the people who apply each year actually get into medical school. Lots of duds floating around these parts.

I agree with your take. The questions, as they are, don't bother me at all. What does make me wonder, though, is the apparent lack of investigation/research some people seem to show. As other posts have said, some of these questions could be answered by the basic tools med school applicants should have access to: school websites, MSAR, college guides, AAMC website, etc.

I think it has less to do with adequate research than you think. What you've neglected to factor in is the almost pathological need for reassurance and acceptance by their peers that plenty of pre-meds exhibit. I mean, don't you agree? :D

It's pretty common on any message board community.

We are all starting our God-complex a little early, aren't we? :rolleyes: At least wait until you go through your orientation, then you can let everyone know that you pulled yourself up by your bootstraps and made it all the way up to and through medical school all on your own with your dazzling intellect, academic prowess, and fabulous personality. :D :laugh: :laugh:

Sarcasm meter explodes... :laugh:

Realize that people have questions, concerns, and maybe just want to be regular, vulnerable people instead of always having to be perfect pre-meds all the time. Comments like I've seen in this thread I've seen translated to the clinic by residents that I've shadowed. These residents can't relate to their own patients nor understand why patients aren't as gifted as them. I know that most of you on this board are the cream of the crop: gifted, talented, intelligent, and many have had valuable opportunities available to them during their lives. But realize that you are going into medicine to serve regular people. So, get over yourself before you become one of those arrogant doctors whom we all hate seeing.

haha, i totally agree with you lifetimedoc. i feel as though the posters who started/agree with this thread are those that are constantly stalking this forum and hence all of these "what are my chances?" etc threads seem ridiculously redundant. yes, questions like that have been answered millions of times. but so what? is it really that much of a pain to skip over reading that thread if it bothers you so damn much? if you know all the answers, have gotten into the med school of your choice plus fifty others, and have no more of these typical "pre-med concerns" then why do you sit at your computer 24/7 reading the posts that you claim are filled with stupid questions? its sad to see them flame on first-timers who simply want support or to vent, because come on, where better to do it but an anonymous internet forum? and honestly, what kind of questions are you expecting? thought provoking and philosophical questions on bioethics or how to end problems in health care? this is a pre-MED forum, filled with applicants anxious about grades/mcat/applying, let them ask, is it really hurting you or insulting your oh-so-superior intelligence that ****ing much?

I think the biggest reason we see threads that are duplicate questions has to do with new people joining the site who have no idea about the search function...furthermore it is just easier to create a new thread and either get responses or at some point someone will come along and post the link to the other thread where the question has already been raised...thus its a matter of being easier and new

I have pre - medical people; I used to be just like them, and then I saw how big of a ****ing idiot I was. LOL

http://despair.com/cluelessness.html

despair_cluelessness.gif

Why do pre-meds ask so many stupid questions?

this is a stupid question in and of itself. So why dont you answer your own question. Why did you just ask such a stupid question? :smuggrin:

I agree; the search feature is pretty bad. I've searched for threads that I know I made so I know the title and it doesn't even come up when I search for it. So where did it go?:confused:
Have you tried that "advanced search" function? I almost never use the one that pops up right away. You're right that one blows. But if you go to advanced you have an option of selecting to only search thread titles and select the forum you want to search in.

I'm just saying because I've NEVER had a problem finding a thread I want but I always used the advanced function.

I think the biggest reason we see threads that are duplicate questions has to do with new people joining the site who have no idea about the search function...furthermore it is just easier to create a new thread and either get responses or at some point someone will come along and post the link to the other thread where the question has already been raised...thus its a matter of being easier and new
I agree. I've been posting on VBB forums for years and even I forgot about the search function when I first joined.

i dunno. this is the place to ask stupid questions...it's anonymous and safe. a person supposedly can let his or her hair down and not maintain the image of all-knowing total control that real life commands. cut each other a break, guys.

Why is it that people cannot seem to take personal responsibility in at least attempting to find the answers first? Given the vast number of resources available, why is it that some people feel that they deserve to be catered to hand and foot? Having gone through the process, I completely appreciate how long, frustrating, expensive, confusing, and ridiculous this process can be, but is it too much to ask for people to have some initiative in doing their own research first?

Why is it that people cannot seem to take personal responsibility in at least attempting to find the answers first? Given the vast number of resources available, why is it that some people feel that they deserve to be catered to hand and foot? Having gone through the process, I completely appreciate how long, frustrating, expensive, confusing, and ridiculous this process can be, but is it too much to ask for people to have some initiative in doing their own research first?

Because people always respond to these questions...
Why do all the work yourself if someone will do it for you?

i would think it would be pretty awesome and probably against the rules for a poll or something for the most hated SDNers ever

reminds me of that chapelle sketch with the player hating ball.

You should have a list of options so we can pick who the biggest prick is. :D

i would think it would be pretty awesome and probably against the rules for a poll or something for the most hated SDNers ever

reminds me of that chapelle sketch with the player hating ball.
I'll put it in the lounge......it's supposed to be unmoderated.....

OK, so who should be the options? Feel free to PM me with suggestions if you don't want to post them here...... :smuggrin:

Most hated or most outspoken?

Genetics.
CJLaw
bonovox.
Kinetics
DireWolf
Cerevus (or any of his incarnations)
DKM
Dr I
Sunny
Panda (on his bad days)
PsychoDoc
Riceman
Anyone with more than 10 posts in the Doctor's Lounge.

Shoot, I could go on for days. Most of the really talkative folks on this board have pissed in someone's KoolAid. :thumbup:

I definitely haven't been here long enough, I don't recognize any of those except Genetics and DKM

I've seen Panda but didn't see a problem with him.

You might want to add "whatever n00b comes in asking 'What are my chances' without using the search feature"

Carbon
Sacrament
Youdon'tknowJack
BNSN
EMEDPA (in certain forums)
Nutmeg
uclacrewdude
crazy_cavilier

All kewl cats... :thumbup:

Let's face it, these pups oday couldn't touch the SDN fellas from back in the day!

LET SDN BE SDN- THUNDERDOME!

*Sunny puts goat blood on her face, ties on her goat-skinned headband and starts counting ammo*

Genetics.
CJLaw
bonovox.
Kinetics
DireWolf
DKM
Dr I
Sunny
Panda (on his bad days)
PsychoDoc
Riceman

Shoot, I could go on for days. Most of the really talkative folks on this board have pissed in someone's KoolAid. :thumbup:

Are you talking about Severus? Cause Severus is not a "him". :D

Genetics.
CJLaw
bonovox.
Kinetics
DireWolf
DKM
Dr I
Sunny
Panda (on his bad days)
PsychoDoc
Riceman

Most hated......we need to narrow it down to 10-12 choices......

-DKM
-Genetics
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-Whatever noob..... :smuggrin:

Most hated......we need to narrow it down to 10 choices......

DKM,

I'll leave that up to you. I just gave you a list of the usual suspect, kinda like a US NEWS of SDN!

(You might need a few polls-
1. Most hated
2. Most controversial/hated, but popular
3. Most popular
4. The kewl kids crew.

Why does this remind me of the 'playa hatas convention' skit from the Chapelle show?

haha i thought this thread was about people asking stupid questions in lecture, in which case they're not so much stupid as in, "hey look at me, i'm a tool that will ask a question to make myself look smarter."

Why are you such a jerk? You don't have to be so MEAN!!!!!!!

My mom said I'm really special and that lots of schools will want me, even Harvvard! And my Grandma is a nurse for a Podiatrist, and he's going to write me a really good letter that will talk about how great a person I am, which all the med schools will love, because he really knows me well!

You're so completely arrogant and rude and mean. I may only be a freshman in college currently taking a half-load semester at my local community college, but once I watched "Life in the ER" on TLC, and I know that all your patients will hate you and you will get sued because I know so much about being a doctor. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :sleep: :p :( :luck: :luck: :luck:

:laugh:

Genetics.
CJLaw
bonovox.
Kinetics
DireWolf
DKM
Dr I
Sunny
Panda (on his bad days)
PsychoDoc
Riceman

I better pick up the pace. I'm disappointed to not be included.

They should sticky this thread and require every new member who joins to post here first.