Why do we still celebrate Halloween?

Started by Unchained
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Unchained

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't understand why we still celebrate Halloween? I've seen people dress up as Pirates and Vikings. Pirates and Vikings were murderers, thieves and rapists. I've even seen people dress up as Roman soldiers. The Romans killed millions and enslaved them. They even fed Christians to lions as sport. If we let this continue in a 100 years people will be dressing up as Nazis for Halloween.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Prince Harry in the UK already dressed like Hitler. This year we'll probably see ISIS costumes.
 
ac7c15cb9f3fdf44f62f4fcc08fd504d.jpg

When I was boy Halloween was nowhere near the production it is today. Christmas was enough for retailers to survive on. But eventually Thanksgiving was engineered into a shopping experience and Valentines and Halloween became hypermarketed.

nrf-halloween-oct-2011.thumbnail.JPG
Screen%20shot%202012-10-31%20at%2012.22.27_0.png


Yet Halloween has deeper roots than the American consumer orgasmia.
https://www.circlesanctuary.org/index.php/celebrating-the-seasons/celebrating-samhain

Here's a calendar of occult holidays.
http://www.globaltruth.net/list-of-satanic-sacrificial-dayswhich-is-accurate/

Oct 28-30 Satanist High (Holy Day related to Halloween) blood human sacrifice each day any age (male or female)

Oct 30-31 All Hallows Eve and Halloween Night blood and sexual sexual climax, association with the demons, animal and/or human sacrifice any age (male or female and/or animal)

Nov 1 Satanist High (Holy Day related to Halloween) blood human sacrifice any age (male or female)

Also notice the practice of sodomy on the solstices and equinoxes. Let's face it. A lot of holidays used to be excuses to have butt sex.



Why did we need holidays as an excuse for anal?....

 
Because they make money
I just left the mall and liquor store, and I thought to myself "whoever invented the holidays, what a great idea for economic stimulus." Each holiday is $100s of dollars people would not have normally spent.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm conducting an experiment so I'm dressing up as a killer clown and parading around a neighborhood at night.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Sounds like it's 2 separate different questions, are you asking why we still celebrate Halloween (which has been answered) or are you asking why we celebrate Halloween in a more gruesome and offensive way each year (since many people so celebrate Halloween in a non-gruesome or offensive way.) One reason, I would posit that as society becomes more PC, some non PC people feel the need to act out on the 1 day of the year that they can do so with minimal societal repercussions. The second reason is "keeping up with the Jones", people want to outdo the horror or repulsiveness that their friends and family had worn the year before, so each year gets more horrific each year.

Myself, I celebrate Halloween the lazy way. This year I will be dressing up as a pharmacist. Haha!
 
I don't understand why we still celebrate Halloween? I've seen people dress up as Pirates and Vikings. Pirates and Vikings were murderers, thieves and rapists. I've even seen people dress up as Roman soldiers. The Romans killed millions and enslaved them. They even fed Christians to lions as sport. If we let this continue in a 100 years people will be dressing up as Nazis for Halloween.

You should take matters into your own hands and tell people how offensive their costumes are. Since many people post pictures of themselves on social media you could comment on there too and inform them of this important message.
 
You should take matters into your own hands and tell people how offensive their costumes are. Since many people post pictures of themselves on social media you could comment on there too and inform them of this important message.

This is an excellent idea. I could be a true social justice warrior pointing out all of these offensive things and making a difference in the world. I would measure my success by how many likes and retweets I got.
 
This is an excellent idea. I could be a true social justice warrior pointing out all of these offensive things and making a difference in the world. I would measure my success by how many likes and retweets I got.

Do you people realize how ****ing stupid you sound? Being a "warrior" for social justice isn't a bad thing. Social justice is a good thing. You are just as ridiculous as the feminists that proclaim that they are against "mens rights." As if rights aren't things men should have.

I ****ing hate everybody.
 
Do you people realize how ****ing stupid you sound? Being a "warrior" for social justice isn't a bad thing. Social justice is a good thing. You are just as ridiculous as the feminists that proclaim that they are against "mens rights." As if rights aren't things men should have.

I ****ing hate everybody.

The only thing social justice is good for is allowing middle class white people a way to publicly pat themselves on the back and incompetent minorities an excuse for their failures; just like white racists blame _______ races for taking all the jobs/controlling the economy/ruining the neighborhood/etc... as a crutch for their failings.

Social justice is a joke, and an unfunny one at that.
 
The only thing social justice is good for is allowing middle class white people a way to publicly pat themselves on the back and incompetent minorities an excuse for their failures, just like white racists blame _______ races for taking all the jobs/controlling the economy/ruining the neighborhood/etc... as a crutch for their failings.

Social justice is a joke, and an unfunny one at that.

Trying to achieve "social justice" in the past has allowed things like same sex marriage, womens' suffrage, and allowing black people to not be slaves anymore to happen. If you honestly think that social injustice isn't a worthwhile thing, you are just in your own little bubble and can't be reasoned with. That's not to say that there isn't a lot of nonsense out there people complain about. Like the entire concept of the "microaggression" that some idiot invented to feel oppressed. But a lot of legit issues whose simple existence apparently makes some jackasses whine about actually do deserve attention. Police brutality is an example. And simply rolling your eyes and calling them "social justice warriors" as if this false equivalency you've invented in your mind about how people dressing up like pirates for a non-Federal holiday and the idea of not having a Federal holiday for a guy that was a ****ty sailor that didn't even discover America AND killed untold First Nations people are "the same" is ridiculous.

I see that you THINK you are showing the "social justice warriors" how silly they are, but you aren't. You are just being a bunch of ****ing *****s that can't even come up with a proper argument. If you actually could argue something on an intellectual basis, that would be one thing and I'd gladly let you ramble on uninterrupted. But instead you are insulting everyone's intelligence, which annoys me.
 
Trying to achieve "social justice" in the past has allowed things like same sex marriage, womens' suffrage, and allowing black people to not be slaves anymore to happen. If you honestly think that social injustice isn't a worthwhile thing, you are just in your own little bubble and can't be reasoned with. That's not to say that there isn't a lot of nonsense out there people complain about. Like the entire concept of the "microaggression" that some idiot invented to feel oppressed. But a lot of legit issues whose simple existence apparently makes some jackasses whine about actually do deserve attention. Police brutality is an example. And simply rolling your eyes and calling them "social justice warriors" as if this false equivalency you've invented in your mind about how people dressing up like pirates for a non-Federal holiday and the idea of not having a Federal holiday for a guy that was a ****ty sailor that didn't even discover America AND killed untold First Nations people are "the same" is ridiculous.

I see that you THINK you are showing the "social justice warriors" how silly they are, but you aren't. You are just being a bunch of ****ing *****s that can't even come up with a proper argument. If you actually could argue something on an intellectual basis, that would be one thing and I'd gladly let you ramble on uninterrupted. But instead you are insulting everyone's intelligence, which annoys me.

You want to discuss the downside to the social justice campaigns? While the country was accepting new levels of poverty over the last eight years our president, politicians, courts and the media were wasting time on the issue of gay marriage which affects maybe 1.5% of the population. We have gay marriage but we live in our parents basement with no job and 60k in student loan debt. Wahoo. This was Obamas most successful piece of legislation over his term.

The other current social justice movement which is being overhyped by the media is the BLM movement. You seem to be buying into that also by referring to police brutality. The fact is 93% of black people are killed by other black people. Those other black people are usually not cops. You would think from the media distortion that the only people cops kill are black. The outcome of this media driven hysteria is that good cops will leave the profession and good people will not enter it.
 
Trying to achieve "social justice" in the past has allowed things like same sex marriage, womens' suffrage, and allowing black people to not be slaves anymore to happen. If you honestly think that social injustice isn't a worthwhile thing, you are just in your own little bubble and can't be reasoned with. That's not to say that there isn't a lot of nonsense out there people complain about. Like the entire concept of the "microaggression" that some idiot invented to feel oppressed. But a lot of legit issues whose simple existence apparently makes some jackasses whine about actually do deserve attention. Police brutality is an example. And simply rolling your eyes and calling them "social justice warriors" as if this false equivalency you've invented in your mind about how people dressing up like pirates for a non-Federal holiday and the idea of not having a Federal holiday for a guy that was a ****ty sailor that didn't even discover America AND killed untold First Nations people are "the same" is ridiculous.

I see that you THINK you are showing the "social justice warriors" how silly they are, but you aren't. You are just being a bunch of ****ing *****s that can't even come up with a proper argument. If you actually could argue something on an intellectual basis, that would be one thing and I'd gladly let you ramble on uninterrupted. But instead you are insulting everyone's intelligence, which annoys me.



Did you just attempt to conflate social justice with the history of civil rights?

They are absolutely mutually exclusive.
If you're so stupid that you can't see that, you're absolutely socially incompetent.

Here's the difference, spelled out clearly for you:

Civil rights:
Defending the rights of an individual citizen from harm from a government, tyrannical or otherwise.

"Don't kill/enslave/harm/police brutality me"


Social justice:
Individual citizens demanding accommodations from other individual citizens on the basis of preconceived innocence/guilt of entire groups on societal levels

"197 years ago someone harmed my ancestors so now you have caused me to be disadvantaged. You are obligated to help me"

Edit: to be absolutely honest, I think the concept of social justice is the greatest single social weapon ever thought of. It's brilliant.

Social justice saw my wife's ancestors removed from their homes and shipped to Siberia.

Can you imagine if you showed and explained it to some serfs plowing fields around a castle?

"So all you have to is convince the middle class that thinking along a certain party line makes them progressive intellectuals, and convince them that people will think badly of them if they don't agree?
Are people really so intellectually lazy in the 21st century that they go along with this without applying any sort of critical thinking?"
 
Last edited:
So we are seriously saying that gay marriage equality was a waste of time for Obama and congress? As if the federal legislative or executive brach has anything to do with all of the states that legalized gay marriage and then the courts that ruled equal protection for the states that didn't? Read the news, kid. Also, it absolutely was worthwhile if you give a damn about civil rights. Period. It doesn't need to be qualified by what other issues are happening nationally. And what's this? Denial of institutional racism, too? You people are so far off the reservation I don't even know what to say. Seriously. And my liberal friends think I'm "to the right." You dudes are sliding into the realm of neofascism. And you seriously don't even notice it. It's sort of amazing. You actually don't even see how idiotic and dangerous your thoughts are.

Also, social justice simply means to have equal opportunity, privilege, and protection under the law within a society. Nobody is talking about reparations (which is to what one of you dingbats seem to think social justice is defined as) except the crazies.

Is this seriously what the people think in whatever nutjob echo chambers you subscribe to? This isn't an elaborate troll job? You people are seriously this delusional?
 
Please, please learn to read.

Go back to my post and look at the words.
Then look at your post, which is 50% wordy diarrhea about gay marriage, and ask yourself, "Hey, when did Ceti Alpha Five mention gay marriage?
Wait, didn't the prohibition of gay marriage count as an instance where the government was harming a group of individuals?
Is it possible I'm an idiot that didn't read, and that I'm appealing to popular opinions that I think gives me the moral high ground, even though he clearly already made a post supporting these issues more strongly than I am?"

The answer to those questions is yes.

They are absolutely mutually exclusive.
If you're so stupid that you can't see that, you're absolutely socially incompetent.
Again, if you're so stupid that you can't understand the difference, I can't help you.

Yes, racism is something that exists.
Water is wet.
The north is cold.

No one mentioned reparations except you.
Modern social justice requires the broad acceptance of guilt by a group in order for the concept to be valid.
That's bullpoopy

I don't blame white people for what my ancestors did to my ancestors when they crossed the Atlantic.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
See the problem is that I'm arguing three idiots all at once and they can't figure who I'm typing at.
The problem is that you can't be bothered to read and understand posts while you're in the middle of spewing Progressive™ buzz words.

MUH institutional racism, MUH lgtbqia+ rights, MUH social justice.

These institutional racism claims are all things that can't be proven.
If you're claiming that the progression of certain societies has been different along the timeline of the earth, I agree.
If you claim this is some sort of form of racism, I disagree.
 
Wvu, a difference of opinion and thought from the prevailing wisdom should be regarded as "dangerous"? What era and what country does this sound like? Should we bring in the thought police?

Notice I don't resort to name calling in any of my posts. This is the way the generation me expresses themselves. The internet allows for this type of behavior. I am surprised that owlegrad stepped in and addressed this. In other threads he has allowed it to continue unabated.

Wvu, I guess I must make an effort to understand the new Progressive buzzwords. I don't know when "institutional racism" entered the lexicon. Can you provide some examples from the present and past? If there are a few individuals in an institution and they are considered racist by todays SJW's do we consider the whole organization racist for allowing this behavior? How about groups that are paid agitators? How do we take them seriously when they are clearly being funded to move an agenda?

Only time will tell if the progressive movements of today will be considered progress or not. They are viewed through today's lens. Let us debate in 25 years.
 
I hate to be on the same side as unchained....but the term social justice does not mean "social justice". It has been coopted and bent to mean the opposite of what it sounds like. I think this is the disconnect and the brilliance of the term. How can anyone be against a just society?

Also for the others commenting on Gay marriage....gay marriage was not a piece of legislation, congress did not pass it, Obama did not sign it. Neither wasted their time working on it as they had no part it in. Educate yourself lest you come off looking uninformed and hurting the other points you are trying to make.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I hate to be on the same side as unchained....but the term social justice does not mean "social justice". It has been coopted and bent to mean the opposite of what it sounds like. I think this is the disconnect and the brilliance of the term. How can anyone be against a just society?

Also for the others commenting on Gay marriage....gay marriage was not a piece of legislation, congress did not pass it, Obama did not sign it. Neither wasted their time working on it as they had no part it in. Educate yourself lest you come off looking uninformed and hurting the other points you are trying to make.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

"Social justice" is really just a rebranded version of the cultural revolution that occurred in many countries in the 1960s.

A quick peek at the actions and policies of members of the Red Guard in China reflect current ideals of the social justice movement.

Furthermore, I don't think WVU really understands exactly what social justice actually is.

Before anyone throws the McCarthy card at me, please take the time to consider carefully that the two are inextricably linked.
All literature from the 1980s forward discusses the relationship between modern social justice movements and social Marxism. I'm not trying to be alarmist or ridiculous.

I think it's extremely interesting that WVU and others who subscribe to this ideology immediately move to label people who disagree as fascists.
There are a ton of historic examples of this practice. I don't think it's intentional, but it's genuinely interesting.

Here's some light reading that can clarify it a bit for anyone really curious:

http://politicalscience.ceu.edu/sit....hu/files/attachment/basicpage/764/stoian.pdf
 
Last edited: