Why do you want to be a doctor (poll)?

Started by Evisju7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Why do you want to be a doctor?


  • Total voters
    532
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
B and C. I essentially grew up in a med school and found a huge fascination with the human body and the humanistic/societal aspect of medicine through interacting with med students. That pretty much sealed the deal.
 
Physicians have a lot of power to affect meaningful change. Medicine is one profession that is represented from academics to politics and industry to defense. Wherever humans go, doctors go also. Physicians have been and will continue to be part of the spearhead of human progress.

From a less cosmic perspective: I appreciate the interactions physicians have with other people. I like the variety of their practice settings and how those introduce variety in the interpersonal work doctors do. I like the strong emphasis on problem solving and that medicine is evidence based. I'm the kind of person who wants to be in charge of whatever it is I do best, and as a physician, healthcare would be my speciality, and I want to be a leader within it.
 
I like to solve problems, and the more dramatic the situation the better. The more someone's life or well-being depends on my ability to diagnose and solve a problem the better. The more complicated the problem the better. I suppose "I want to help people" is sorta close, but I could help people by doing any number of things. I want to, on a daily basis, be presented with interesting and complicated problems that really matter to individual people and that I have the expertise to solve.
 
Having worked in the "real world" for several years, as a corporate cog, in the public sector, for a family member, having an expense account, working a retail job in an apron, and everything in between -- I can say that one of the major reasons I want to be a physician is for the autonomy and relative job security that comes with having a medical license. Assuming you meet a certain professional/moral/ethical standard, you are in little danger of losing your license. Having worked with physicians and learned from them, I like that no matter what, you can pick up, move around the country, and your medical license is your ticket to having a fulfilling career, if not necessarily lucrative one. I also don't think I will ever starve with an MD/DO, though I do not think I will be raking in more than 250k/ year. I will be happy just to have something that no one can take away from me (education), something that will allow me to utilize my skills worldwide (degree and license), and something that helps society while also engaging my interest in human science and its application.



TL;DR : CHICKS POWER MONEY CHICKS
 
Having worked in the "real world" for several years, as a corporate cog, in the public sector, for a family member, having an expense account, working a retail job in an apron, and everything in between -- I can say that one of the major reasons I want to be a physician is for the autonomy and relative job security that comes with having a medical license. Assuming you meet a certain professional/moral/ethical standard, you are in little danger of losing your license. Having worked with physicians and learned from them, I like that no matter what, you can pick up, move around the country, and your medical license is your ticket to having a fulfilling career, if not necessarily lucrative one. I also don't think I will ever starve with an MD/DO, though I do not think I will be raking in more than 250k/ year. I will be happy just to have something that no one can take away from me (education), something that will allow me to utilize my skills worldwide (degree and license), and something that helps society while also engaging my interest in human science and its application.

Beautifully put
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like find medicine interesting enough to devote my life to it. Applied science is so much more interesting to me than theory, and practicing evidence-based medicine would be a great fit for me IMO.

I don't just want to help people. I also want to cause positive change on a larger scale. Educating all of my patients on how to stay healthy (healthier) after they see me would be my direct way of doing this. I want to make my patients happy and satisfied. Their happiness and gratitude for me helping them is what will keep me going even when things get tough.

The good pay and established job security are also pluses.

Medicine would augment my desire to improve myself every day as well as keep me in the mindset of holding myself and my peers to the highest moral and ethical standards possible.

If you want to bash me for my honest answers, go ahead. Unlike a lot of people, I thrive on all sources of feedback and criticism because feedback and experience are the only ways to truly improve yourself.
 
My answers were: I always wanted to be a doctor, I want to help people (yes I know really cliche), and the duality of science and medicine is appealing. I was going to choose "I was seriously ill at some point or know someone who was" also, but I didn't. I guess I could have, because a lot of people really close to me have been really sick and have a lot of underlying diseases, and I've seen them undergo quite a few surgeries and medical scares. I wouldn't say though that because immediate family members have diseases and are sick a lot, is a huge reason as to why I want to be a doctor. It definitely made/makes me more and more interested in medicine, but it's not the full reason why. My desire to learn and my interest and love for science of course play a big role in me wanting to be a doctor also. I won't go into full detail and length as to why I want to be a doctor :smug:.
 
Last edited:
I like find medicine interesting enough to devote my life to it. Applied science is so much more interesting to me than theory, and practicing evidence-based medicine would be a great fit for me IMO.

I don't just want to help people. I also want to cause positive change on a larger scale. Educating all of my patients on how to stay healthy (healthier) after they see me would be my direct way of doing this. I want to make my patients happy and satisfied. Their happiness and gratitude for me helping them is what will keep me going even when things get tough.

The good pay and established job security are also pluses.

Medicine would augment my desire to improve myself every day as well as keep me in the mindset of holding myself and my peers to the highest moral and ethical standards possible.

If you want to bash me for my honest answers, go ahead. Unlike a lot of people, I thrive on all sources of feedback and criticism because feedback and experience are the only ways to truly improve yourself.


No bashing from me. It's your personal reasons, not mine or anyone else. I appreciate your opinions here and agree with alot of your points. 🙂
 
Ever since I was a little kid I thought I wanted to be a physician. I'm lucky enough to have a parent who is a physician which provided me excellent insight into the career and its demands. I also have a sibling with a rare disease. My sibling's disease allowed me to obtain the patient's perspective and understand the impact a great doctor can have in the patient and their family's lives. I also have always loved science, learning, and applying my knowledge to help people. My reasons are not incredibly unique, however, I know without a shadow of a doubt that medicine is the only career field I would be completely satisfied in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I first learned to snowboard, a girl flipped near me and ended up on the ground not moving. I was first on the scene (I have my WFR). I stabilized her spine, got her prelims, got her out of shock and talking to me, and got her info. She would only talk to me. I helped them board her. Ever since then, I keep thinking: I should go to med school.
 
I like find medicine interesting enough to devote my life to it. Applied science is so much more interesting to me than theory, and practicing evidence-based medicine would be a great fit for me IMO.

I don't just want to help people. I also want to cause positive change on a larger scale. Educating all of my patients on how to stay healthy (healthier) after they see me would be my direct way of doing this. I want to make my patients happy and satisfied. Their happiness and gratitude for me helping them is what will keep me going even when things get tough.

The good pay and established job security are also pluses.

Medicine would augment my desire to improve myself every day as well as keep me in the mindset of holding myself and my peers to the highest moral and ethical standards possible.

If you want to bash me for my honest answers, go ahead. Unlike a lot of people, I thrive on all sources of feedback and criticism because feedback and experience are the only ways to truly improve yourself.
Wow it's been so long since I've read this. I should definitely use this for my next interviews if I'm asked the "Why medicine?" question lol.
 
It looks fun, it looks like something I could do for the next 40 years. Actually being a doctor looks fun - I could be a clinician and see patients, I could do research, or I could teach. I have experience in research and teaching, and an MD would help me in both.

Going to med school in and of itself looks rewarding and fulfilling, if not fun. I know parts of it will suck. College was a challenge but I enjoyed it. Med school is not just a hoop that I need to jump through to reach the sweet sweet honey pot, med school is an enjoyable part of the package. (I hope.) Sadly, I won't get paid for it. The worst part about residency is the hours, otherwise it is pretty similar to being a clinician.

I'm looking forward to all the med students I will (hopefully) meet, and all the patients I will meet.

Of course I like helping people, but being an MD is not the only way to do that. I could be a nurse or a social worker. Or I could be a fundraiser for a big charity helping orphans. Helping people doesn't seem like a compelling reason to be an MD specifically. It seems like a cliche. I do like helping people, and I probably would have trouble sleeping at night if I designed bombs for a living, but the idea that a desire to help people leads directly toward an MD seems silly to me.
 
It looks fun, it looks like something I could do for the next 40 years. Actually being a doctor looks fun - I could be a clinician and see patients, I could do research, or I could teach. I have experience in research and teaching, and an MD would help me in both.

Going to med school in and of itself looks rewarding and fulfilling, if not fun. I know parts of it will suck. College was a challenge but I enjoyed it. Med school is not just a hoop that I need to jump through to reach the sweet sweet honey pot, med school is an enjoyable part of the package. (I hope.) Sadly, I won't get paid for it. The worst part about residency is the hours, otherwise it is pretty similar to being a clinician.

I'm looking forward to all the med students I will (hopefully) meet, and all the patients I will meet.

Of course I like helping people, but being an MD is not the only way to do that. I could be a nurse or a social worker. Or I could be a fundraiser for a big charity helping orphans. Helping people doesn't seem like a compelling reason to be an MD specifically. It seems like a cliche. I do like helping people, and I probably would have trouble sleeping at night if I designed bombs for a living, but the idea that a desire to help people leads directly toward an MD seems silly to me.
Well, that's my primary reason for going into medicine, so......yeah. All those other reasons (challenge, leadership, lifelong learning, like science, prestige/money, etc.) are secondary.
 
Personally, there are many different reasons as to why I want to be a physician.

As a freshman, I started volunteering at a hospital to fill some free time. There was (and still is) something captivating about the subculture of medicine. The sterility of a hospital, the professionalism, and patient interaction, were some of the more notable qualities that piqued my interest. Eventually I started researching the career to see if I even had a chance. I read into every specialty, shadowed physicians, and volunteered in more departments at the hospital. Also, I learned how long it would take to become a doctor, and to be honest, the competitiveness of it all attracts me even more.
Practicing medicine is also a wonderful opportunity; with an array of specialties, there seems to be a fit for just about anyone. Personally, I have become very drawn to surgery; I think the ability to physically heal an ailment, with almost your bare hands, is something extraordinary. Moreover, the ability to work with a team, to delegate, and to inspire, are other perks of the job.

To recapitulate: the qualities of medicine which allure me are: environment, professionalism, diversity, scientific applications, and the skills to heal another human being.
 
I'm just in it for the money. Hopefully I'll be rich enough by the time I'm 35 to support my house husband/doting, stay-at-home dad. That way, there'll be no pesky kids underfoot to interrupt my quest for fame and fortune as the next great made-for-tv physician. Looking to usurp Dr. Oz. once he gets too wrinkly for hi-def display.

Kidding. :cat: The combination of scientific reasoning ability and people skills that you exercise as a physician taps into my strengths and keeps me stimulated. Also, working at a hospital = an extrovert's dream. Finally, I struggled with some health problems in college, and a couple of awesome, caring physicians helped me to turn things around. It would be immensely gratifying to be that instrumental figure who inspires and empowers someone to take control of their health, as those physicians were able to do for me.
 
Last edited:
?? Please explain how this was important in piquing your interest.
Calling me out here aren't you? That's kind of a condescending question in an attempt to undermine my intelligence. So, no, I won't humor you. Nice try in an attempt to garner likes though.


 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
?? Please explain how this was important in piquing your interest.
Calling me out here aren't you? That's kind of a condescending question in an attempt to undermine my intelligence. So, no, I won't humor you. Nice try in an attempt to garner likes though.


wtf? it's a legit question I was wondering too, not some attempt to call you stupid for popularity
 
Calling me out here aren't you? That's kind of a condescending question in an attempt to undermine my intelligence. So, no, I won't humor you. Nice try in an attempt to garner likes though.

I honestly saw it and was just genuinely confused and interested in why sterility was so important to you.
 
I honestly saw it and was just genuinely confused and interested in why sterility was so important to you.
No, you were and are being disingenuous. I like the environment, which is sterile. Sterile equals clean; I am type A. Could you not reason to that conclusion on your own? Did I really have to spell it out for you? WOW.