Why do you want to be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had my committee interview a few weeks back and got chewed up by the interviewer for this question. I answered honestly, saying how I want to help people. but also critically think to analyze, assess, and attack every disease I see in a patient and being a doctor gives me that autonomy. He claims nurses, pts, ots, pas all do that which is where we disagreed. I can't tell if he was screwing with me or not but he did psych me out.

Is there a "proper" answer to this question? What are YOUR reasons then? B1tches? Power? Money? Status?

Members don't see this ad.

Out of my 10 interviews maybe 3 asked me this or a variation of this question.

My answer came in the form of a story and not a this-is-the-list-of-reasons. I know, it's really hard to articulate a feeling, but the more you think about it the easier it becomes.

Reactions: 1 user
This is my response from a similar thread:
I'm not certain about my certainty...but I can give reasons for medicine being an attractive field for me. This is a copy/paste from my career outline I made for a class assignment.
  1. Why do I want to be a physician?
    1. Humanism
      1. physicians can have a positive and lasting impact on many people
      2. physicians are provided with the tools necessary to be effective humanists within and without their scope of medical practice
      3. physicians have the ability to relieve suffering in its many forms
      4. I am very interested in providing free care to underserved populations in a free clinic setting
      5. I am interested in becoming a physician-educator, sharing my knowledge to help students achieve
    2. Societal Influence
      1. physicians, by virtue of their broad education have the capacity to be very effective science communicators and educators
      2. physicians are often advocates for positive change within society and for the safety and health of individuals and communities
    3. Autonomy and Authority
      1. physicians are the leaders of the healthcare team and a physician is responsible for making the most important decisions for patient care
      2. since physicians have full practice rights, they have the ability to open their own practices on their own terms
      3. physicians are called upon in many situations in which their expertise may be applicable
    4. Highly Educated
      1. physicians are very well educated with a litany of tools and understandings gained over at least 8 years of college education
      2. physicians are well informed and responsible members of society
    5. Finances
      1. most physicians achieve financial stability
      2. average yearly income for physician men in 2014 was $267,000
      3. physicians have the financial resources to pursue their interests outside of their careers such as their families, hobbies and non-medical endeavors

Overall, I want to make a positive impact and actively make the world a better place to live in. I could accomplish this through any number of different careers. I happen to enjoy medicine, the little bit of it I've seen, at least.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a "proper" answer to this question? What are YOUR reasons then?
When I interviewed applicants, I tried to avoid directly asking them this question. We all want to help people. We're all interested in science. What I wanted to delve into is WHY the applicant is interested in helping other people. What event(s) in their lives spurred them toward considering this field. SHOW the committee through anecdotes instead of simply telling them that you like helping people in the context of critical thinking.

It's a very tough question (and even more tough to have a truly unique story among thousand of applicants), so this requires a lot of self-reflection.

Reactions: 3 users
The biggest difference between physicians and other healthcare professionals is their leadership role. All healthcare professionals should do what they do out of a desire to help and love of science/critical thinking etc. but physicians get to spearhead the treatment plan and direct the course of action for a particular patient.

Nurses, techs, etc. are all on the same team as physicians and all are vital components of successful patient care but the physician leads this team.

just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 6 users
I don't think the grounds on which they criticized you are all that compelling.. doctors are the leaders in healthcare, and they are the ones with the most autonomy and with the adequate skills to fully manage a patient's condition.

I like @rishk789 's input though - why do you like helping people? Are there stories that show how you're particularly empathetic? Did you help someone as a kid and realize that their joy brought you joy? There are all kinds of ways to go about this. Being able to go more in depth will help you more in the setting of a medical school interview.

best skill to have in the event of a zombie apocalypse
already a mean gunslinger soo....

also, must be able to say: "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor!" at some point in my life

Reactions: 2 users
Street cred and women. Oh and women.

Had my committee interview a few weeks back and got chewed up by the interviewer for this question. I answered honestly, saying how I want to help people. but also critically think to analyze, assess, and attack every disease I see in a patient and being a doctor gives me that autonomy. He claims nurses, pts, ots, pas all do that which is where we disagreed. I can't tell if he was screwing with me or not but he did psych me out.

Is there a "proper" answer to this question? What are YOUR reasons then? B1tches? Power? Money? Status?

As @Willy38 mentioned, the defining role of a physician is by being a leader and making sound decisions. Like i mentioned in a thread in Allo, machines can easily and effectively replace mid-level providers because they are just carrying out the tasks instructed by physicians. An interviewer who says that NPs and CRNAs could do the same is just trolling you at that point.

Reactions: 1 user
My first EMT rotation, I witnessed an infant in severe distress and I was unable to do anything about it. All I could do was watch the medical team work endless to try and save our patient's life to no avail. From that point on, I became interested and vowed to learn more knowledge to make a different in a situation like that one day. The fact that I had shoulder operations, and how I felt about them also compounded my interest. To know what it feels like to be powerless and vulnerable. Kindness goes a long way. I have a few other reasons but that's the gist of it. =D

I never took such questions seriously. By all means tell them the answer they want to hear. But there is no good or bad reason for being whatever you want to be in your one and only life.

Whatever a utilitarian mixed together with Cristina Yang would say.

But that's not what I'll actually say. That'll scare people.

I think he was just trying to shake me up and see if I caved because he ultimately (after telling me why he thought I was wrong) said he does respect my opinion and seemed pleased I didn't just flop on my belly

I never took such questions seriously. By all means tell them the answer they want to hear. But there is no good or bad reason for being whatever you want to be in your one and only life.
And what is the answer they want to hear?

fc,220x200,black.u2.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
When my dad interviewed many years ago he literally did say "because doctors get the best parking spots."

But I second the zombie apocalypse answer. You'll be invaluable to any start up society.

I think he was just trying to shake me up and see if I caved because he ultimately (after telling me why he thought I was wrong) said he does respect my opinion and seemed pleased I didn't just flop on my belly

It's pointless to let it bother you. The real question is this: will the letter be decent?