Why do you want to be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 870

The Member...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the question that pretty much every applicant gets asked. So why do you, members of the SDN forums, want to be a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

to help people

Members don't see this ad :)
Free drugs. And I like paperwork

Sorry, but you aren't going to get many real answers.

$, why else?
new4_good.gif

Good pay, easy lifestyle, and flexible work hours :D

So I can hold a Botox party.

Because everyone else is doing it.

What? Nobody yet?

Okay, I'll do it.

My Asian parents told me to.

Because I can't stand having MR. in front of my name

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the question that pretty much every applicant gets asked. So why do you, members of the SDN forums, want to be a doctor?

So I can move to the Allo forum permanently and finally rid myself of these beaten-to-death topics.

Good job, troll.

So I can move to the Allo forum permanently and finally rid myself of these beaten-to-death topics.

Good job, troll.

I'm 100% certain, that if I take the threads from each application cycle, that every thread that exists this year, has existed every year past.

Wheel of Time anyone? Nobody? Fine.

In any case, there's nothing wrong with repeat threads. They happen every year with every thread and every poster.

Because becoming a doctor, I can not only have the knowledge of medicine but also can save lives even outside of work. I would know what to do right away

Because becoming a doctor, I can not only have the knowledge of medicine but also can save lives even outside of work. I would know what to do right away

Oh no, a possible honest answer. You mean $ right? then = than?

my psychic told me to

it was confirmed by my magic 8-ball

So that I no longer have to look on SDN for answers to steal for my interviews.

But of course, I'm sure that wasn't the OP's intent. Pre-meds have far too much integrity for that sort of thing.

because a caduceus materialized in my cerial. It was at that point that I knew I wanted to be a doctor

There are many reasons. First and foremost is that you have the privelage of helping people.:) The nature of the job is another reason, being a Doctors is a very challenging position you constantly have to adjust and push yourself to the limit and beyond.

The high pay and social prestige are just bonuses.

In terms of pay Doctors don't get paid much at all until they finish their residencies. I think residency is something like 40k a year for 3 years. As for hours must doctors work 50+ hours a week.

the answers I gave to different schools:

So I can do boob jobs

My favorite TV show is Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman

So I can play doctor with you

what is this stock and reflexive in your interviews?

because a caduceus materialized in my cerial. It was at that point that I knew I wanted to be a doctor

Funny, mine was burnt into my toast.

Oh no, a possible honest answer. You mean $ right? then = than?

Actually, I came from a very wealthy family... so money isn not the reason why I went into medical school.

Because I want to be Dr. House, minus the limp. That does not look too fun.

Anyways my real answer, yeah mostly I want respect from people.

to halp people.

holy crap! I've never thought about that question. Maybe I really don't want to go into medicine :eek:

The pay, the fast cars, and the free meals provided by your friendly local pharma rep.:D

I like pajamas.

I look good in white, as well as blue.

Good job, troll.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to troll. I'm new to the forums, and figured I should try to start more threads. Next time I'll put more thought into a topic before I post it. Maybe I'll even check if it's been done before...

pizza for lunch everyday.... I can't wait for interest groups! Oh and hot smart girls. I pretty much am doing it for the ladies. :cool: :cool:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to troll. I'm new to the forums, and figured I should try to start more threads. Next time I'll put more thought into a topic before I post it. Maybe I'll even check if it's been done before...

You sure about that? I don't mind if you steal my answer for your interview: So that I can get laid with that hot secretary you guys hired at the admissions front desk, Dr. X. Could you please get me her number? ;)

Because being a business major is too hard.

(1)so i can self-medicate. (2) b/c my dad says he'll buy me a car and a house when it's through (3) b/c my older brother said stay in school as long as possible and med school + residency is pretty long (4) b/c i think i'd look adorable in scrubs (5) so if i get pulled over for speeding, i can use my white coat as an excuse (6) oh and so i can help people just enough to ensure that they keep coming back to give me paydirt.
DISREGARD 2-6.