Why do you want to become a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vera

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It sounds like such an easy question to ask someone who definietly knows what they want to do for the rest of their life, but for some reason, when I'm asked that question, I feel that my answer is so generic...even when I add personal experiences to my answer. Why do some of you guys want to become doctors?

Members don't see this ad.

hello vera - I have often wondered as well why people want to be doctors, and for me, it's pretty hard to define. I want to be a doctor because the ability to treat and to heal is an amazing skill. It seems like you could go anywhere with such skills - like Mozambique after all the flooding there recently. A doctor certainly would be well appreciated!

Because it feels so very right - not that I said that in interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
My reasons for wanting to pursue medicine are several.

1) Helping people. Yes, this could be done in MANY different professions from EMT to PA to nursing.

2) Leadership. I believe that I am a natural leader. As such, I believe that if I pursued something like nursing, I would probably be frustrated for the rest of my life (going on past experience and talks with nurses) because I would NOT be in that kind of leadership position.

3) Intellectual challenge. There is intellectual challenge in all fields today, but my area of interest is medicine and disease and always has been. I dont know why, it just is.

4) Research opportunities. I really like research. I dont like it enough to go for an MD/PhD, but as a physician, I would have more opportunity (if I wanted it) to do research than I would in a different profession.

5) Stability. The average professional changes CAREERS (not jobs) 5 times in his/her life.

6) financial/job security. Im not talking about big bucks here, but the reality is that a physician will always be able to find a job SOMEWHERE. People will always get sick.

Maybe that last one is a "wrong reason" but you know what? Im only human. AND I will have a young stepdaughter to worry about.

now, my question....

Hopefully, Im going to be starting interviews in the fall...would these reasons (with a little editing, of course) be sufficient?

Blessings, Star

[This message has been edited by Starflyr (edited 04-18-2000).]

vera,

Being born where I was born, having the opportunitys people in other countries can only dream about. I feel as though it's our societys obligation to use those opportunitys to benifit humanity. The contribution doesn't have to be in the medical field, but thats where I choose to give back, and make my mark, while achieveing a sense of accomplishment in seeing a patient immediatly, or relativly soon, benifit from my hard work. I see too many kids that are going to my college who don't know or understand what kind of gift they've been given. In alot of other countries these opportunitys are not available, exspecially for wemon and the poor. I see students with no direction, who think they are there to party. And with their parents paying for it, it doesn't mean anything to them.
Plus, I like science.

vera,

Being born where I was born, having the opportunitys people in other countries can only dream about. I feel as though it's our societys obligation to use those opportunitys to benifit humanity. The contribution doesn't have to be in the medical field, but thats where I choose to give back, and make my mark, while achieveing a sense of accomplishment in seeing a patient immediatly, or relativly soon, benifit from my hard work. I see too many kids that are going to my college who don't know or understand what kind of gift they've been given. In alot of other countries these opportunitys are not available, exspecially for wemon and the poor. I see students with no direction, who think they are there to party. And with their parents paying for it, it doesn't mean anything to them.
Plus, I like science.

Star- to respond to your question, your reasons for wanting to go to med school are definetely good for an interview. My only advice would be that right now they seem a little to scripted (the "born leader" thing esp. could be risky) Loosen them up, make them a little more fun, a little more personal and you'll do fine
smile.gif

My reasons for medicine are similar to a lot of what I'm hearing. I feel it is very important to give back to the world, god, whatever you may want to call it, what you have received. And for my part, I feel that I have received a lot (cool parents, good friends, ability to go to great schools, chances to travel, etc.) So I feel my contribution should be proportionally large.
Admittedly there are a lot of ways I could give back, but very few combine the subjects I love- science, technology- with so human a touch, and the chance to give direction, lead, make changes, on a daily basis.
I was a psych major in college and I am really touched by the fact that when one deals with a patient, you deal with it all, their physiology, their anatomy, their pathology, their psyche...

all of this and the fact that it really does "just feel right" sometimes
wink.gif

yeah, i've been wondering about that question too...it's just so impalpable, why you feel a certain way. and it's kind of unfair, in a way, for them to ask that kind of question because there's never a "concrete" reason people feel a certain way, they just feel it. and for me, i just like the feeling (okay this is weird!) of being in a doctor's exam room and wondering what all the instruments are for and why the doctor is doing this or that, it's fascinating. and on a personal level, i like connecting with people and feeling like i'm really helping them out. i think part of the reason i have a positive view of the profession is because i liked my pediatrician growing up, he was so "doctorly". and what do you know, i'm thinking seriously of being a pediatrician!
furrycat

As a physician, we can have the opportunity to be a part of someone's life that no other profession can offer. The most important and demanding periods of life: birth, life, and death. I can't imagine another profession that offers such opportunity to have such an impact. Just nothing like it.

Because I couldn't make it anywhere else with my handwriting!

Money, Prestige, Power, and Chicks!!! Being a doctor provides me with all of that!!! I don't care if I have to work hard, but I will get what I want. When I get all of that (I'm already getting the last 3!!), I will be completely satisfied!! I am extremely happy right now, and I can admit to myself why I am in medicine. I know some of you will claim that I am really not happy and I'm miserable, but honestly, I am very happy and I will achieve my goals...Money, prestige, etc....

P.S. Even Joe Slovak said he wanted to be in medicine so he could "make lots of money!"
tongue.gif

all of you... read my "okie" post please

you guys are not gonna be happy in medicine..
trust me
medicine sucks you work and help others and then you die
premed sucks..