Why do you want to become a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capfroggy2k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some people say you should become a doctor because you want to practice medicine. How can you know if you want to practice medicine if you have never tried it? There are no free trials.

Honestly I think I helping people, making good money, having prestige, and a secure job will be the main motivations for many. Even though they will make up some story to be different.

What is your reason?

Members don't see this ad.

During the apocolypse nobody votes to cannabalize the doc.

Some people say you should become a doctor because you want to practice medicine. How can you know if you want to practice medicine if you have never tried it? There are no free trials.

Honestly I think I helping people, making good money, having prestige, and a secure job will be the main motivations for many. Even though they will make up some story to be different.

What is your reason?

Congratulations, you've explained how to "play the game."

Members don't see this ad :)

What is your reason?

Really?????? I thought every one of the 42,000+ applicants was born with a blind passion for medicine?

During the apocolypse nobody votes to cannabalize the doc.

:thumbup:

I like the idea of having a job with some sort of admirable purpose or mission, even if that does get clouded occaisionally (/often).

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imI8baMrfGo[/YOUTUBE]

I always heard doctors work 9-5, like 3 days a week or so(after residency of course). Doing that and making like 700-800k a year sounded like the best job ever. I am the type of person that like work/life balance, so I guess being a doctor is for me!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Although you may feel that the reasons you want to become a doctor may be too popular or feel contrived, you should really ask yourself this question, and really ask yourself what you would like to do as a doctor. What kind of impact do you want to have? what populations would you ideally want to work with? What first gave you the idea that becoming a doctor was something you'd want to do? Sometimes we as premeds get caught up in the whole process, and it is really important to take a step back and reflect on why you want to be a doctor. Writing the personal statement really forces you to answer this question, if nothing else will. It's a personal decision, and if yours is similar to thousands of others, don't worry about it.

no more embarrassing trips to the doctor for plan B prescriptions

I want to be a doctor for all the money you make and all the women you get to meet and the exciting hospital drama. This seems very reasonable, especially in the anime realm. Now, I just need to incorporate this into my personal statement.

Although you may feel that the reasons you want to become a doctor may be too popular or feel contrived, you should really ask yourself this question, and really ask yourself what you would like to do as a doctor. What kind of impact do you want to have? what populations would you ideally want to work with? What first gave you the idea that becoming a doctor was something you'd want to do? Sometimes we as premeds get caught up in the whole process, and it is really important to take a step back and reflect on why you want to be a doctor. Writing the personal statement really forces you to answer this question, if nothing else will. It's a personal decision, and if yours is similar to thousands of others, don't worry about it.

Yes I think there is so much to be done we forget why we are doing this. For me it has been personal life experiences, but I can't say that I am not doing it for the more popular reasons either (good pay, stable job, etc).

I just really like the whole science aspect of it. I can't imagine doing anything else with my life. I want to help people too, but I was more drawn to the challenge.

Still doing undergrad. I didn't know what else to put for the status thing. But I'm working towards biochem and pure math with a minor in foreign languages. It takes longer, but I have time.

I've always had a place in my heart for helping other people, even if they are complete strangers. I don't think there would be any profession that even compares to the feeling of accomplishment that a doctor feels. Going home each day knowing you changed someone's life and the lives of the family of that person, etc. would be an amazing feeling.

Also the prestige and respect that comes with being a doctor. I've always looked up to doctors. And finally, aving played sports all my life and D1 football, there is a "rush" I get when I'm on the field. I would like to do something in medicine that gets me this similar feeling, whether it be working in the ER, surgery, or something haven't heard of yet.

It is a profession that rewards you financially and with job security, too.

Because I like science and want to help people.

/thread

I've been on a 'rural' medicine kick ever since I read "Caring for the Country". I imagine working in a rural area and providing comprehensive services to a thankful population. Ideally, I would like to build a home near my office and avoid the stresses of a daily commute. It would also be rewarding to care for multiple generations within my choose community. I would occasionally like to still do house calls. Bottom line, I want to do something that adds values to others' lives, and my own.

I've been on a 'rural' medicine kick ever since I read "Caring for the Country". I imagine working in a rural area and providing comprehensive services to a thankful population. Ideally, I would like to build a home near my office and avoid the stresses of a daily commute. It would also be rewarding to care for multiple generations within my choose community. I would occasionally like to still do house calls. Bottom line, I want to do something that adds values to others' lives, and my own.

I shadowed a doctor who treated a lot of more rural type people. I would talk with nearly every other patient or so whenever the doc left the room. I always thought if anyone deserved treatment it would be these kind folk.