Why do you want to come to our school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey
I keep getting these questions in secondaries, and I don't know how to come up with a meaningful response. I have all the curriculum and residency info, as well as Match lists, but I don't think that answering how great the school is is going to get me anywhere. Any ideas, especially if I don't have any ties to the state and have no particular reason to go there?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey
I keep getting these questions in secondaries, and I don't know how to come up with a meaningful response. I have all the curriculum and residency info, as well as Match lists, but I don't think that answering how great the school is is going to get me anywhere. Any ideas, especially if I don't have any ties to the state and have no particular reason to go there?

find a reason. or don't apply there. you have to be able to come up with something. you like the area or the affiliated hospitals, the community outreach programs, elective opportunities, curriculum, mission statement and objectives.....

Hey

Discuss the weather there, how it is competitively priced or how you're a shoo-in.

But seriously, I'd point out how you fit in with the school's mission/goals. Is it a big research school and you want to do research? Does it have that primary care focus you're interested in? What about that medicine and society course or pbl? I'm sure you can find something you like about it besides the real reasons you applied there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey
thanks for your input. That was what I was writing to answer the question, but some people were telling me that this wasn't enough.
Thanks again, and now back to these god forsaken essays...

I'm sure you can find something you like about it besides the real reasons you applied there.
Ha ha. The modern selection criteria will surely result in the next generation of doctors being less honest than the last.

I'm definitely going to mention my interest in particular aspects of the school's curriculum, EC opportunities, etc., but would it be appropriate to mention the closeness of my family and boyfriend? It sounds cheesy and lame to mention my boyfriend, but we have been together for 3 years and do not want to get married until we can settle down in the same area. Therefore, being close to him is a serious point to consider for me.

I'm definitely going to mention my interest in particular aspects of the school's curriculum, EC opportunities, etc., but would it be appropriate to mention the closeness of my family and boyfriend? It sounds cheesy and lame to mention my boyfriend, but we have been together for 3 years and do not want to get married until we can settle down in the same area. Therefore, being close to him is a serious point to consider for me.

Of course not. Family and friends is a good reason for making decisions on geography...

I'm sorry - are you saying it would or would not be appropriate?

I'm saying it would be appropriate... I used it in many of my prompts. One of my criteria for choosing geographic locations to apply to was proximity to friends/family.

I'm saying it would be appropriate... I used it in many of my prompts. One of my criteria for choosing geographic locations to apply to was proximity to friends/family.
That's comforting to hear :) Thank you, and good luck.