Dr. Pedo

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2001
508
3
Visit site
Status
Good question-

Mainly discoloration after RCT is due to improper removal of gutta percha. It must be removed especially in anteriors below the CEJ. Also there are a lot of dds that will place the difinitive restoration with composite and it is a poor match. Lastly a para-post or post is unfortunately placed without a crown.

Internal bleaching (walking bleach), removing the post, or proper GP removal will take care of discoloration.
 

GQ1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
130
0
Status
Dr.2b said:
Good question-

Mainly discoloration after RCT is due to improper removal of gutta percha. It must be removed especially in anteriors below the CEJ. Also there are a lot of dds that will place the difinitive restoration with composite and it is a poor match. Lastly a para-post or post is unfortunately placed without a crown.

Internal bleaching (walking bleach), removing the post, or proper GP removal will take care of discoloration.

tooth is devitalized, dentist missed canal, use of silver points ( latin america, eastern europe), leaching of silver from amalgam core, cement used.
 

Geezer99

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
75
0
Status
Dr.2b said:
Good question-

Mainly discoloration after RCT is due to improper removal of gutta percha. It must be removed especially in anteriors below the CEJ. Also there are a lot of dds that will place the difinitive restoration with composite and it is a poor match. Lastly a para-post or post is unfortunately placed without a crown.

Internal bleaching (walking bleach), removing the post, or proper GP removal will take care of discoloration.

Actually, the discoloration comes from improper removal of pulpal tissue during RCT therapy. If any pulpal tissue is left behind, the blood products in it will cause the darkening of the tooth....this is why a devitalized tooth that has never been touched by a dentist will also turn grey. Necrotic tissue is what causes it, not gutta percha.
 

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Geezer99 said:
Actually, the discoloration comes from improper removal of pulpal tissue during RCT therapy. If any pulpal tissue is left behind, the blood products in it will cause the darkening of the tooth....this is why a devitalized tooth that has never been touched by a dentist will also turn grey. Necrotic tissue is what causes it, not gutta percha.
You are absolutely correct.... the leeching of blood and residual pulpal tissues into the dentinal tubules!


:thumbup: :thumbup:
 

DcS

damn the red baron
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2002
825
4
Visit site
Status
Geezer99 said:
Actually, the discoloration comes from improper removal of pulpal tissue during RCT therapy. If any pulpal tissue is left behind, the blood products in it will cause the darkening of the tooth....this is why a devitalized tooth that has never been touched by a dentist will also turn grey. Necrotic tissue is what causes it, not gutta percha.
You are both right...can be from heme most likely but also from poor gutta percha removal. Not to mention the possibility of leaving pulp horns in anterior teeth.
 

Dr. Pedo

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2001
508
3
Visit site
Status
Geezer99 said:
Actually, the discoloration comes from improper removal of pulpal tissue during RCT therapy. If any pulpal tissue is left behind, the blood products in it will cause the darkening of the tooth....this is why a devitalized tooth that has never been touched by a dentist will also turn grey. Necrotic tissue is what causes it, not gutta percha.

Yikes, you might want to re-read your endo text. :eek: :laugh:
 

shopaholic

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
53
0
Status
Dr.2b said:
Yikes, you might want to re-read your endo text. :eek: :laugh:
Do you go to school on the east coast? Maybe you should do the reading because Geezer's right.
 

Dr. Pedo

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2001
508
3
Visit site
Status
shopaholic said:
Do you go to school on the east coast? Maybe you should do the reading because Geezer's right.
First- sorry Zdaddy for the copy-cat violation.

Shopaholic--i dont tink eyes en skool on east cost :laugh: Dew some reserch and yull find de answear. :laugh: