Why does Neuro ophthalmologists paid less than neurologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kakarrott

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that both do surgeries and both have to work with nerves.
Somewhere I have seen that working with nerve and eye is one of the hardest surgeries so I wonder why Neurosurgical average pay range from 350 to 500k pa and neuro opht are average 180 to 220k pa

I recently started med school so I do not have so broad knowledge so I might be missing something, but as it is now I just wonder.

Members don't see this ad.

Neuro ophth like neurologist don't do major surgeries as compared to neurosurgeons who do major brain and spine cases. Neurology is mostly clinical while neurosurgery (as the name implies) is mostly surgical. Very different fields really.

Reactions: 1 user
10 points for spelling ophthalmologists correctly

where is your medical school??

Members don't see this ad :)
10 points for spelling ophthalmologists correctly

where is your medical school??

Well if Iam interested in it, it would be bad if I couldnt spell it right :D

And Iam studying in Czech Rep. But you know, Iam looking for options after that anywhere :D

Reactions: 1 user
It seems to me that both do surgeries and both have to work with nerves.
Somewhere I have seen that working with nerve and eye is one of the hardest surgeries so I wonder why Neurosurgical average pay range from 350 to 500k pa and neuro opht are average 180 to 220k pa

I recently started med school so I do not have so broad knowledge so I might be missing something, but as it is now I just wonder.

Neuro-ophthalmologists come to their sub-specialty by one of two ways: as neurologists first who do a neurology residency then a neuro-ophthalmology fellowship, or as ophthalmologists first who do an ophthalmlogy residency then a fellowship in neuro-ophthalmology.

Both are different from neurosurgeons, who do neurosurgery residencies (with or without additional fellowship).

Neurology-first neuro-ophthamologists seldom do any surgery. Ophthalmology-first neuro-ophthalmologists may do surgery in general ophthamology or their subspecialty or in combination with a related subspecialty, oculoplastic surgery or strabismus surgery, for example. Which they may do will depend on their particular training experience and desire.

Neuro-ophthalmology is typically a lower patient volume practice. The exams take longer than average ophthalmology exams, may require additional exam methods and more time with the patient. Throughput--patients seen per day, and procedural income by surgery and ancillary services determine earning, directly in private practice and indirectly in institutional practice. In a fairer and more reasonable system, there would be some way to value the services better, but the general RVU x multiplier method applied to ophthalmology in the USA generally disadvantages the subspecialties that cannot responsibly see 40 patients per day or afford the level of staff support that rate of activity requires and can afford.

Neurosurgeons earn a great deal of their income from performing surgery and less from office services. The surgeries they perform are commonly very complex and entail risk and are reimbursed relatively well (although some might point out how dermatologists turn that principle on its head.)