Why is acute bowel ischemia more common in the SI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have read that acute bowel ischemia is almost always small bowel (as opposed to the large bowel). Does anyone know/can guess the reasons as to why?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

How does the small bowel get its oxygen? How does the colon?

I still don't get it. Care to explain?

I know the small bowel is supplied by the celiac trunk/SMA. And the large bowel by the SMA/IMA. But can't work out why it would predipose the SI to bowel ischemia...

Thanks

There are different reasons for ischemia of the bowel. For the small bowel their blood supply is coming from the SMA and there can be atherosclerosis at the take off of the vessel. What can then happen is critical occlusion or a a plaque breaks off and shoots off to one of the branches to the bowel. It is thought that the straighter shot of this vessel also makes it prone for embolic events. The large intestine bowel supply is actually more tenuous. Being that I work on this area a lot, I see a fair amount of people with large bowel ischemia. Usually it is at the watershed area of the splenic flexure where the branches of the SMA and IMA meet. Ischemia here is more of a low flow state and tends to do better with adequate support. Because of these two etiologies, small bowel ischemia tends to be more of a critical ischemia (like a major MI) and large bowel ischemia tends to be more mild (like angina).