Why is MSU COM tuition so high for OOS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is one of the schools that I'm looking at applying to, but was astounded when I read about their out-of-state tuition. According to the 2015 Osteopathic Medical College Information Book, OOS tuition is $82,071. This is the highest out of state tuition cost that I've seen amongst osteopathic medical schools. Even allopathic medical schools OOS tuition generally isn't that high. Why is the figure so high? Does this school give out generous financial aid to those who need it? I'm looking at applying to the DO/PhD program there.

Members don't see this ad.

This is one of the schools that I'm looking at applying to, but was astounded when I read about their out-of-state tuition. According to the 2015 Osteopathic Medical College Information Book, OOS tuition is $82,071. This is the highest out of state tuition cost that I've seen amongst osteopathic medical schools. Even allopathic medical schools OOS tuition generally isn't that high. Why is the figure so high? Does this school give out generous financial aid to those who need it? I'm looking at applying to the DO/PhD program there.

They do give out OOS scholarship that is around 12K but that still makes the tuition very high. They also have a lot of other scholarships you can apply once you begin your first year there. DO/PhD is definitely a good route if you love research.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a public school funded by state taxes. Residents don't want to pay for people that aren't from their state. Also, MSU would rather train doctors that are more likely to practice medicine in Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a public school funded by state taxes. Residents don't want to pay for people that aren't from their state. Also, MSU would rather train doctors that are more likely to practice medicine in Michigan.
Still it does not explain why it is so expensive. There are plenty of other states claiming the exact same thing, and thats totally fair. I think they should charge a little more for OOS tuition, I get that. But the level is outrageous. Here are a couple of other examples:

DO
OSU IS: 22K, OOS: 44K
OHUCOM IS:29K, OOS 42K
MSU IS: 40K, OOS 82K

MD
UW IS: 24K, OOS 34K
UMD IS: 30K, OOS 55K

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty sure it's just their way of ensuring the only OOS students to go there really really want to go there.

Reactions: 2 users
As someone else said before, the school really is heavily IS biased and those that do get accepted and qualify are pushed to their DO/PhD program.

They do give out OOS scholarship that is around 12K but that still makes the tuition very high. They also have a lot of other scholarships you can apply once you begin your first year there. DO/PhD is definitely a good route if you love research.

What happened to half tuition? Smh.

Lost Vegas has it, they want their students to remain instate. Why it is SO expensive though is lost on me. I could understand a 5-10K bump. Double is craziness.

I just don't see a point in applying if you are out of state, maybe that is their goal? Tuition is outrageous. Save your money and apply elsewhere!

because Michigan is poor and need cash money lol you should check out TCOM!

I just don't see a point in applying if you are out of state, maybe that is their goal? Tuition is outrageous. Save your money and apply elsewhere!
The cost is just something else... even CCOM was taken off my list yesterday. I just cant stomach it. I sit here and try and counsel others to go to the cheapest option (after my experiences of over paying in undergrad), and yet I would apply to just an outrageously expensive school.... sometimes people just want to get in anywhere. So many of the other schools have such regional biases, it makes it challenging sometimes.

The cost is just something else... even CCOM was taken off my list yesterday. I just cant stomach it. I sit here and try and counsel others to go to the cheapest option (after my experiences of over paying in undergrad), and yet I would apply to just an outrageously expensive school.... sometimes people just want to get in anywhere. So many of the other schools have such regional biases, it makes it challenging sometimes.

I think cost is important, but people need to be happy where they are. CCOM may be where you're happy, while Lecom is where you're miserable.

MSUCOM has the most extensive facilities available of any osteopathic medical school due to having access to MSU's resources. Those facilities, from gyms to research labs to sports stadiums, do not come free. Without taxpayer subsidies, you have to pay for your share of the heated walkways, the dormitories you'll never use, the cafeterias, etc. MSU has the infrastructure requirements of a small city, costs which most osteopathic schools simply do not have that must be paid for by someone.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think cost is important, but people need to be happy where they are. CCOM may be where you're happy, while Lecom is where you're miserable.

how come you say LECOM is miserable?

MSUCOM has the most extensive facilities available of any osteopathic medical school due to having access to MSU's resources. Those facilities, from gyms to research labs to sports stadiums, do not come free. Without taxpayer subsidies, you have to pay for your share of the heated walkways, the dormitories you'll never use, the cafeterias, etc. MSU has the infrastructure requirements of a small city, costs which most osteopathic schools simply do not have that must be paid for by someone.

This is a fantastic explanation, considering that MSUCOM is the only medical school in the nation affiliated with a large state university, thus succinctly establishing why its tuition is dramatically higher than any other.

how come you say LECOM is miserable?
He was making an example of a high cost school making you happy versus a lower cost school that doesn't. It wasn't meant to say anything in particular about CCOM or LECOM themselves, they're just known for having high and low tuition, respectively.

The thing is "miserable" is very much just an opinion, and that which can and realistically would change with time.

As an example: I grew up on the western border of Maryland, very close to WV. For 23 years I would wake up and look out my windows and see the mountains - that way is west. My entire life has been spent outdoors, swimming and fishing in the Potomac, climbing the mountains, all of it was great. This last summer I moved to Wisconsin for my wife's schooling. Needless to say, for the first like 2 months I was indeed "miserable" and even a little depressed. I looked out my window hoping for the mountains and got telephone poles. I would go hiking and they have to build towers out here as lookouts since the land is so flat. Yet now almost a year in, I can understand the charm of the midwest. I appreciate this area more than I had expected. I am in fact very happy where I am living, even though I am roughly 900 miles from most of my friends and family. This is because this place feels like home with time, I have made a lot of new friends, and when its not snowing, it is actually quite beautiful. Now that it is warm, I am finding new places to swim and fish, I am appreciating the ridiculously blue skies (much bluer than MD), and I can appreciate how little humidity there is - even though I thought I would miss it.

So obviously this is anecdotal, but the reality is, happiness is really just a perspective that can change so easily. I am convinced without a shadow of a doubt that going to MSU OOS or even CCOM is not worth it, if you are talking about for the sake of feeling happy. Because it is just that.. a feeling. Feelings change - think about who you were 4-5 years ago... you think you had a clue of what you really wanted? How many of your desires have stayed completely on par with what you wanted? Are you miserable because things turned out differently? I think realistically you didnt know exactly what you wanted 4-5 years ago, and you likely dont know exactly what you want now. But that is the adventure of living.

Now if you are gunning for a super crazy specialty, sure CCOM is solid, no doubt. And if you are wanting to stay close to family or something... sure I get that too. But if you say "I just felt ever so slightly more comfortable at CCOM than I did at X school that has tuition for 20k less" I am going to just suggest to suck it up, because thats real money you are playing with. When I was still in school, the money was still so far away and debt felt like something we just joked about in school. Every semester I would just keep signing on the dotted line and never really contemplated just how much money the schooling cost. But now that I am out working and 1/4 of everything that I work hard to make is snatched from me before I even get to see it just to pay for college debt, I can tell you with 100% sincerity, no school is worth that kind of money... Especially if you have a cheaper option available to you.

Happiness is a very young thing to talk about. Like as if going to place A or B will make you any happier. You are the same happy or miserable person no matter where you go, and your problems will follow you no matter where you go. If you are someone who makes the best of things anywhere, you will be fine anywhere, if you somehow see the doom and gloom in all things, you will be miserable a month in, even though you somehow got into your first choice. The problem is people hardly ever can know exactly which one of those people they are. I used to think about happiness as a certain place or thing, but after paying a frick ton of money for my undergrad to be "happy" and then realizing if I stuck it out at my first school, I would have likely been more happy and a better person for it.

If the future you could go back in time after going to MSU OOS to become a PCP, I bet he/she would smack the younger you in the face. Just hoping to help anyone now or in the future, who reads this.

Last edited:
Thats not to say I dont understand the differences between CCOM and LECOM. This rant goes for any school that is cheaper than CCOM or MSU. I understand that LECOM is a special breed, and I certainly would be the first to get in line and say that PBL is not for me. I am just suggesting to everyone on here (out of a genuine desire to help) to really think hard as we enter this application cycle. If you only get into CCOM and thats your only chance to be a doc, then by God, go for it! But if you have two acceptances in the hand and everyone around you is shouting CCOM, CCOM because of the rep or whatever... I would argue to think hard, those people shouting CCOM will not be the ones paying your debt.

Yea if the seton hill campus did not have just PBL, I would be all over that. Erie really is "eerie" in my opinion...

I think Seton Hill is a pretty solid location tbh. But again, I think we should be open to PBL. There's no doubting that people who are going to PBL schools like LECOM-B are scoring higher on the boards than others.

I think Seton Hill is a pretty solid location tbh. But again, I think we should be open to PBL. There's no doubting that people who are going to PBL schools like LECOM-B are scoring higher on the boards than others.
Oh I have no doubt PBL's efficacy. I just doubt my own ability to be in that type of program.

Can one get in state residency after a certain period?

Can one get in state residency after a certain period?

No, its very very difficult to get IS residency once you start school unless you get married to someone who is a IS resident or if you are under 24 years old and your parents move to Michigan. Another way to get IS residency is to defer and work full-time in Michigan for a least a year prior to start of classes. Even buying a house in Michigan won't grant you IS residency.

that is the price of a 911 per year. wow.

Interesting, do student loans cover that?

Who needs an education when you can drive a shiny new Porsche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. But the interest rate (0.9%) is lower than our student loans.

I'd take the 911 any day of the week. Obvi, it is the better deal.