Why is there such ambiguity on whether a PharmD.................................

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why is there such ambiguity on whether a PharmD can take part in doing research for new drugs?

I mean, can someone with just a pharmD with/without a residency/fellowship have a role in conducting research for new medicines?

Every site I go on, one says a pharmD can. Others say a pharmD can't. It's just like, wtf? It's a bit confusing. We really should get stickies made on what each different type of pharmacist does.

Members don't see this ad.

A PharmD is eligible for NIH funding, so yes, they are allowed to conduct drug-related (or any kind of) research as the Principal Investigator. Whether you can realistically GET funding with just a PharmD is another story. That may the source of the discrepancy you're seeing.

well I don't mean being the head of a research team. Just having a role in getting the medicine to market such as drug design or take part in getting it tested.

Members don't see this ad :)
well I don't mean being the head of a research team. Just having a role in getting the medicine to market such as drug design or take part in getting it tested.

If you really want to that, get a phD not a pharmD...Drug design is medicinal chemistry, get a phD in med chem!! or do both PharmD/phD if you really want to be greatly involved in research.

Pharmacy and getting a PhD in medicinal chemistry are my top choices...My parents don't support getting a phD because of the amount of schooling involved....

my only option in this case is do pharmD with residency/fellowship and I'll be happy or get a phD along with that, which I might do eventually...

Doing a fellowship after getting a Pharm.D. is one way to get into research, but it probably won't be a big role in clinical trials. What type of research do you want to do? Do you want to be in a lab, work directly with patients, or act behind the scenes? Do you want to work in clinical trials or do other clinical research?

Doing a fellowship after getting a Pharm.D. is one way to get into research, but it probably won't be a big role in clinical trials. What type of research do you want to do? Do you want to be in a lab, work directly with patients, or act behind the scenes? Do you want to work in clinical trials or do other clinical research?

What kind of role would doing a fellowship get me?
What does "act behind the scenes" mean?

I am not sure, everything you listed: "Do you want to be in a lab, work directly with patients, or act behind the scenes? Do you want to work in clinical trials or do other clinical research" appeals to me.

Dude, first of all: Chill out. Anyone CAN do research. It is just not a common thing for pharmacists to do. If a PhD is not an option, you need to understand that a fellowship will only allow you to do clinical research. It will not typically let you get involved in really hardcore lab-based research like drug design for example, which would require a Med Chem PhD. Some academic fellowships do have lab-based research components, but most pharmacists who completed those programs aren't really doing lab research. It's difficult to get grants (money) for that without having a PhD.

Clinical research that you can do after your pharm.D. (usually after you do a fellowship or at the very least a residency) can involve: outcomes studies, pharmacoeconomics, working for a pharma company on clinical trials ( a lot of what you do will be operational/management-based though, as opposed to actually handling the clinical aspects of the trial), or various other clinical research projects like Medication Use Evaluations.

Here's an example of a pharmaceutical industry fellowship program: http://pharmafellows.rutgers.edu/media/companybrochures/novartis.pdf
Pages 6, 10, and 11 talk about the activities you would do if you want to work in the area of clinical trials.

Here's an example of a job listing that a Pharm.D. could realistically expect to land after completing a fellowship like the one above:
http://www.jobfox.com/Web/Seeker/La...7140-810e-441e-ad9e-64e38b91d35e&source=juju1

Please look closely at the responsibilities listed and see that it's not lab research, or even particularly "science-like"

Here's an example of an academic-based research fellowship that you would typically complete AFTER doing a clinical residency:
http://www.pharmacy.pitt.edu/Research/pharmacoinfo/fellowship.html

These fellowships set you up to get a job where you still work as a clinical pharmacists who sees patients but you also are expected to do clinical research studies and publish/present your results. You also get set up well to work in academia or teach some lectures at a pharmacy school.

Bottom line, yes, pharm.D's can do research. It is not incredibly common but maybe 10% or so of pharm.D's out there do SOME research. It's just important for you to understand that without a PhD, it's not likely going to be the type of lab-based research that most people think about when they think about "Research".

Last edited:
You remind me of myself when I was your age. I also hated retail and wanted to do clinical trials. Well, guess what, my interests changed and research just doesn't appeal to me too much anymore, and yours will likely change as well. You can look at the Rutgers Fellowship, as that is the most likely pathway one can get involved in clinical trials, but also keep your mind open to other options.

you are right baccilus, I read one line about something research related. The guy applied a paste and waited 5 hours. When he checked, nothing had happened. I doubt I have the patience for that...Maybe I can check it out while in school if I don't get into a 6 yr pharmacy program. I might not like it either.

I dunno, I feel like I want to get involved with something bigger than myself but....