Why is UIC's Dental School So Expensive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iDentastic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the list of dental schools costs right now and I never realized UIC had one of the most expensive costs of all dental schools for out-of-staters. SIU is up there too. Holy Cow, how come no one ever made such a big deal about the cost of those two schools.. all I hear about is NYU. NYU, NYU.

Is it because you can obtain in-state residency after paying 1 year of out-of-state tuition in Illinois like some schools I've heard and therefore have that lower dental school cost for the remaining three years?? Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking at the list of dental schools costs right now and I never realized UIC had one of the most expensive costs of all dental schools for out-of-staters. SIU is up there too. Holy Cow, how come no one ever made such a big deal about the cost of those two schools.. all I hear about is NYU. NYU, NYU.

Is it because you can obtain in-state residency after paying 1 year of out-of-state tuition in Illinois like some schools I've heard and therefore have that lower dental school cost for the remaining three years?? Just wondering.

No one makes a big deal about the OOS tuition because generally, only 1-3 people attending are non residents. It's not a "safety school" because of this. Many more applicants will apply to NYU as a "safety school."

No, you cannot obtain in-state tuition at an Illinois dental school.

Oh okay, strange. I have an out-of-state friend who attends the school. I figured it was more than 3 people.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay, strange. I have an out-of-state friend who attends the school. I figured it was more than 3 people.....

They have 6 OOS spots available.

And yes, it is outrageously expensive. Including living expenses for an in-state, you can expect to be paying 75K a year. I feel kinda bad withdrawing my acceptance as they were rather nice - but I just cannot commit to that kind of debt.

SIU-SDM here I come...

http://www.siue.edu/dentalmedicine/misc/est_expenses.shtml

Some of the OOS spots at UIC might be going to phd/dmd candidates but I'm not totally sure about that. They end up not paying tuition anyways.

Some of the OOS spots at UIC might be going to phd/dmd candidates but I'm not totally sure about that. They end up not paying tuition anyways.

There are years where those spots are not completely filled by OOS applicants.

One of the OOS students I met there on the interview day was on a military scholarship so cost didn't matter for him.