Why Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneLove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone on this board is as ambitious as they come. What made ya'll direct your ambition towards the field of medicine and medical school? Any specific experiences in life? What about the field attracts you? Thanks in advance for sharing :D

Members don't see this ad.

In a quick nutshell: I have compassion for people and want to help take care of them, yet I also want to live a comfortable life, job security, prestige, autonomy, a challenging career that allows me to really use my intelligence...plus I find the human body fascinating...might have left a few things out, but that's pretty much why!

You know that feeling of security you unconsciously have that the sun will rise in the morning? That's the same thing I feel about medicine. As sure as I am that the sun will rise in the morning, I'm sure that the medical field is right for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.Yo, that's prob the big one i left out, I totally agree with you....whenever I've shadowed a doctor, or volunteered at a hospital, I get this feeling that says "This is what I want to do." Whenever I've walked into a hospital, I look around and say to myself "This is where I want to work." And I feel so excited and comfortable to be inside the hospital, as weird a feeling as that is to other people...you just know this is right for you, that's always how I've felt

Money...

Fixing people's bodies with cool technology.

for the women

For me, its about several things. I love working with people and get great satisfaction from helping others. I love science and am constantly amazed by how all these different processes in the body come together to help us function. I want to be able to do research, but also have human meaningful human outisde of the lab. And I also want to be able to provide for my parents in their old age since they have given up so much to get me to where I am today.

Medicine is the best of all worlds for me. I wasn't one of those people that thought that I was born to be a physician. Rather, I grew to love biomedical science and have always enjoyed working with people.

Trophy Wives :thumbup:

I have to do something with science. There's no question; I just have to. It's been my intellectual passion since chidlhood. However, as much as I love research and will make it a large part of my career, it's not quite enough. I want contact with people, and I want to see immediate rewards from my work, which research does not often give. Also, it's just a feeling that it's right for me. :D

AStudent said:

Its like the white coat ceremonies.. Outside they're saying "we're going to become doctors". . but inside.. they're thinking of Rodney Dangerfield saying "Hey everybody! , we're all gonna get laid!"

Exactly...you think all those rock bands of the 80's and 90's liked music that much?? I can tell you something else they liked a lot better :D :D

my dad's a doctor

Members don't see this ad :)
Blue Scrub said:
In a quick nutshell: I have compassion for people and want to help take care of them, yet I also want to live a comfortable life, job security, prestige, autonomy, a challenging career that allows me to really use my intelligence...plus I find the human body fascinating...might have left a few things out, but that's pretty much why!

Good answer.

I'm a leader and a doctor is a leadership role in the healthcare field.

because im dirty, greedy and money grubbing. because i want talk about patients like they are lab rats. because i want to push aside a patients family member and then mutter under my breath in a dick-like tone "excuse me - im a doctor". because i want to selectively treat patients based on their insurance plans. because i want to tell people that they are dieing of an incurable illness, and then go cruising in my merc and maybe buy a yacht.

C. Ronaldo said:
because im dirty, greedy and money grubbing. because i want talk about patients like they are lab rats. because i want to push aside a patients family member and then mutter under my breath in a dick-like tone "excuse me - im a doctor". because i want to selectively treat patients based on their insurance plans. because i want to tell people that they are dieing of an incurable illness, and then go cruising in my merc and maybe buy a yacht.

damn why'd you have to blow everyone's cover :thumbdown:

Free Pills! :idea:

when I was a kid: understanding how the body worked. the chemistry, biology and physics behind it. what was disease, how do we predict outcomes, how can we cure/ treat illness.

When I was in HS/ young college: people. Seeing how little things (not a cure but a little assistance) can really help people, understanding that not all diseases are curable but wanting to make life a little easier/longer for someone. working with people and their health

College/present: Understanding how to use basic science to develop better treatments. Satisfaction in knowing that you can actually help if not irrevocably alter a person's life for the better. Meeting a wide variety of people and speaking honestly about their concerns. Basic science discoveries and nifty new technologies. etc etc.

Plus I never lost that fascination with the body [yeah I know, insert dirty joke here]. I sometimes cant believe that it all works. amazing.

so i can move to cali and prescribe myself much needed marijuana ;)

AStudent said:

You can still get a trophy wife without having to go thru all what med school has to offer. Figure out something better

Getting paid to play doctor :thumbup:

Gentle said:
You can still get a trophy wife without having to go thru all what med school has to offer. Figure out something better

Wow. For some reason my post was deleted. :confused: Nothing offensive, no intention to "troll" ... I just disagreed with the assertion in the first post that everyone here is "as ambitious as they come." While the compliment is appreciated, I wanted to point out that for some people ambition has no play in the decision to pursue medicine. I think this is a valid point in a thread entitled "Why Medicine?"

For example, I consider myself lazy and pretty laid-back, but I still do pretty well in school. That said, several aspects of medicine appeal to me: the science, the technical aspects, the visible results, the interaction with people, abundance of problem-solving scenarios, the pay, job security, etc. I'm just choosing a profession that fits my interests and abilities.

(This deletion of valid posts is disconcerting. How often does this happen and who has control over it?)

Why medicine? Saving lives and stamping out disease Although some days it feels more like stamping out lives and saving disease :smuggrin:

You either feel it, or you don't. There's not a whole lot of "why" involved. This is the type of profession that picks you. Don't waste your time figuring out why you picked it.

NS

Why medicine? Cause it is easy to do.

Ever since I was a kid, I liked to fix things that were broken. Why not people?

In the short time I have been on this earth, I have dealt with doctors and medicine more than most would like to. But because of my own medical problems, I have been able to see what a difference doctors make in peoples lives and how medicine affects regular people. I'm only in high school, and yes I have a lot of time to change my mind, but I honsetly do not think I will. Medicine is something that truly intrests me, and it is something I enjoy learning about. I'm not amazing in math or science, as a matter of fact, this are two classes which give me problems, but that isnt something that turns me away from medicine. Ive had good doctors and Ive had doctors who have caused more damage than good, but I have seen the work they do and how it is so important in the world we live in today to have the good docs. So to all of you future docs- don't forget that your patients are more than a patient- they are people who have come to you for help, people who put ther trust in you. So don't treat them like a number.

Because I said I wanted to be a doctor at the age of 6 and never researched any other profession. I've spent my entire life trying to become a doctor. And I love every aspect of it. I enjoy working with people, I am compassionate, kick butt at sciences and a total nerd! I don't even know what it takes to be anything other than a doctor. I'm too deep in it to quit now...especially now that I've been accepted.

Karina