Why no love?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

civilleader

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate this process none of the Allopathic schools I've applied to have given me any love :(

Some just give me an interview for god's sake!

Members don't see this ad.

Here we go again for gods sake.

He always "sits this one out" as somebody mentioned in the other thread!

I am not getting any love from allopathic schools either man.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate this process none of the Allopathic schools I've applied to have given me any love :(

Some just give me an interview for god's sake!
You have an acceptance from a pretty reputable school, and you interviewed at TCOM, which is more than a lot of the people who were "too smart" to apply to DO schools, only to be rejected by every MD school, can say. Hell, I'm a TX resident, and TCOM won't look at me. Probably half the people that go there could or did get into MD schools out-of-state, but opted for the insanely awesome in-state tuition instead.

It's like my high school guidance counselor always told me:

"To get love, you must give sex."

Worked for me so far...:thumbup:

What really surprises me is that I thought my stats were decent...obviously not this cycle.

What really surprises me is that I thought my stats were decent...obviously not this cycle.
Your stats are definitely decent...If i were you i'd worry that the problem might lie in your PS or a bad LOR. Your stats and ECs appear more than sufficient according to your mdapps. It's also important to be able to tailor your app to each individual school.

I would give it more time, you applied broadly and smartly and your GPA is average and your MCAT is right below average, but your ECS, imo, make up for it. I think you will get in, but im not an ADCOM.. Best of luck

I'm surprised as well. Unless your PS is terrible, you should get a few invites.

I have interview blue balls too buddy, looks like we have a cold winter ahead of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's because you're a Colorado resident.

Yeah, I could kill right now to get FL, OH or Texas residency.

Honestly, I would recommend retaking the MCATs. Btw, where is western university?

Its a D.O school in Pomona, CA.
After going there I really cant see myself going there, so yeah I was disappointed by that school.

After going there I really cant see myself going there, so yeah I was disappointed by that school.

I have a friend who went there. He was recommended the school by his sister-in-law (Who also graduated from there) and he loved it. He's now doing great in his radiology residency.

Sometimes you can't judge a book by it's cover. I hope you do get an interview and acceptance to a school that you're more interested in though. Good luck!

It could be worst..you could be a Tennessee resident!!:eek:

I think that this year it will be slow for many of us "on the bubble" candidates... There are an incredible number of applicants with great numbers. Goodluck and hang in there!

Someone has way too much time on their hands... :hungover:

Interesting spreadsheet though. It would be interesting to see the number of in-state residents who applied within each state to the state schools (although this could have error built in due to the same applicants applying for multiple in-state schools), but probably more representative than numbers per million.

So Ice Nine, the moral of the story is to be a LA or ND resident...

:thumbup:It's like my high school guidance counselor always told me:

"To get love, you must give sex."

Worked for me so far...

Quoted for signature purposes.. thank you so much ^.^

Hey OP, I'm with you too.
We have similar stats :), MCAT about 30, gpa 3.5-6, ECs, ect. People commented that it's probably your PS or you have weak letters. I doubt it. There are A LOT of us that are at the average that are being left in the dARK.
Honestly I have a theory that with the computer based MCAT is to blame. You applied later (Aug/Sept: about the same time as me) and normally that would be ok because there used to be a lot of Aug MCAT takers in previous cycles. Now that it's offered all year long, more applicants applied early, this is why we heard of all the Admissions offices buried in applications.
I applied to ~30 MD = schools practically no love...
I also applied to 12 DO schools = interview invites so far to most...
I thought I would be doing better too. My letter writers thought so too. Even the pre-med advisor at my school was a little surprized.
Now I'm trying to figure out if DO is really for me.
Plus supposedly it's early and we shouldn't worry but I worry like you.

p.s. I'm from San Diego. I went to Western last year for a Awareness Conference. I wasn't mesmerized either. Maybe look into more DO schools. Some may wow you and their deadlines aren't for a while. That's pretty much what I'm doing right now.
Good Luck

Western is actually in a great area, if that's all you're considering. Certainly locationwise Western > LLU by FAR.

Last year, everybody was talking about their "LizzyM score" (see attachment) which failed to account for the fact that it's much easier to become a physician if you're from a state that practicing doctors don't want to move to.

True, but as you noted, there was no way to account for the states that have more than one school. The only way to do that would be to assume that all of the in-staters applied to the most popular school and use that school's number of resident applicants in the state, but that would exclude all of the people who didn't bother to apply for their big dawg(s) because they knew they wouldn't be competative or would simply prefer a smaller name.

Unfortunately, there is no way to knowing how many residents of a given state applied for med school in general. As such, the only way that this data works is to assume that the desire to apply to medical student does not vary from state-to-state.

Really this is nothing more than a statement of how many new doctors each state trains per unit population, but it underscores the fact that many students on the west coast can out-compete red state residents without the home field advantage but can't get into a school in their own state.

The table could be improved with some knowledge about the schools that have collaborative agreements with other states. How many slots are available to Wyoming residents, for instance? Do they have seats held for them at Washington and Colorado both? If so, those places have much higher numbers cut-offs than say, South Dakota or Nebraska.

I hate that all my state schools are reaches.

Western is actually in a great area, if that's all you're considering. Certainly locationwise Western > LLU by FAR.

Western is located on an okay street, BUT Pomona is a dumpy, ghetto town!

Western is located on an okay street, BUT Pomona is a dumpy, ghetto town!

Yeah, Pomona isn't that great, but most people that go to Western don't live in Pomona anyways. Even Pomona isn't that bad. I lived in Pomona for two years while I did postbac at Scripps and it was fine.

I'd rather live in Pomona then in Lincoln Heights, or the area near USC main campus for fn sure. It's only half an hour or so from Pomona to Pasadena or maybe 30-40 min to downtown, anyways, and even closer to the SGV or lots of places in eastern LA county.

I also am having no luck with this whole med school business. I don't have a single interview lined up yet. My stats are definitely not great, but I thought I would have one interview by now (especially from my state school!). I have a 3.0 sci, 3.25 overall from a top 20 school known for not inflating enormously, 37 MCAT, good EC's, research in clinical translational and basic sci. Any advice on what more I could do? I'm starting to get really worried since interviews are scheduled 1-2 months in advance, and basically the month of December doesn't count with all this holiday business. What schools interview into Feb, March, April, May? (Basically what schools do I still have a shot at?)

I also am having no luck with this whole med school business. I don't have a single interview lined up yet. My stats are definitely not great, but I thought I would have one interview by now (especially from my state school!). I have a 3.0 sci, 3.25 overall from a top 20 school known for not inflating enormously, 37 MCAT, good EC's, research in clinical translational and basic sci. Any advice on what more I could do? I'm starting to get really worried since interviews are scheduled 1-2 months in advance, and basically the month of December doesn't count with all this holiday business. What schools interview into Feb, March, April, May? (Basically what schools do I still have a shot at?)

Where did you apply? That will be a huge factor in how successful your medical school application cycle is. Hopefully you applied very broadly with your GPA. MCAT is great, but the GPA is below average. The less "perfect" your stats are, the more broadly you should apply.

Yeah, to echo the previous poster, where and when did you apply? What is your state of residence?

Because of a late LOR I wasn't complete until all throughout September. My state of residency is Iowa, and I feel like I applied broadly. Other midwestern state schools known for accepting 25%+ OOS, RFU, Loyola, Drexel, Jefferson, GW, Tufts, USC, NYU, NYMC, SLU, Rochester, Downstate.

Because of a late LOR I wasn't complete until all throughout September. My state of residency is Iowa, and I feel like I applied broadly. Other midwestern state schools known for accepting 25%+ OOS, RFU, Loyola, Drexel, Jefferson, GW, Tufts, USC, NYU, NYMC, SLU, Rochester, Downstate.

Being late probably hurt your chances somewhat. No interest from Iowa at all?

Not yet, :(. They said they wouldn't be able to get to my app until Dec/Jan. So I plan on calling Mon.

No love from my instate school, too!! VCU is swamped this year with applications. They have run out of interview slots already!

No love from my instate school, too!! VCU is swamped this year with applications. They have run out of interview slots already!

How do you know that they are out of interview slots?? I have heard this rumor about 5 times now, and every time someone got an invite afterwards...just wondering if you got it from a credible source. I have been complete there for about 3.5 months now, and I still am under review, and I'll be pretty p*ssed if I cant even be considered because they never got around to reviewing me :mad: