Why Not to go to Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmlee

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me good reasons not to go to Emory? Current students at Emory Med- what's bad about it? Does the A/B/C/D/F grading system and block testing lead to a tense and competitive academic environment? Are you happy with the traditional lecture format?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Lack of fine girls I hear..

Originally posted by TTSD
Lack of fine girls I hear..
umm, in ahlana, jawguh? you are sadly mistaken, my friend. ;)

ahh, i miss the dirty south........

Members don't see this ad :)
Supposedly, Emory and UCLA have the hottest med school girls. Just whatever you do, don't go to UCSF...I heard it's a kennel out there.

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
Supposedly, Emory and UCLA have the hottest med school girls. Just whatever you do, don't go to UCSF...I heard it's a kennel out there.

I know this cute girl that made it into UCLA.. but she's one of those hidden gunners.

There are plenty of hotties in Atlanta that would love to go out with med students. You don't have to go out with someone in the med school program.

DW, I do miss the south. I spent the last 14 years in Atlanta, and sometimes I feel like a fool for wanting to go elsewhere.

As for the city, there are a lot of hot women, but BE FOREWARNED, Atlanta has more single guys than women, which means when you go to most bars and stuff its a weiner fest.

As for emory, I heard its pretty competitive, and the general gist I got from talking to my friends who were students there was that they aren't too happy with their experience. Of course, I posted this last year, and plenty of people shot me down. To each their own.

I think just about every med school in the south has some attractive girls........i wouldn't go overboard and say LOTS about any of them though. Just the nature of the beast of medical school.

As for letter grades, I'm SOOOO glad I'm P/F right now........

Originally posted by SunnyS81
As for the city, there are a lot of hot women, but BE FOREWARNED, Atlanta has more single guys than women, which means when you go to most bars and stuff its a weiner fest.
sunny, I think you are kinda off in this regard (i think your evaluation is partly due to the fact you went to Tech ;) ) most data I've read shows the demographics for the metro atlanta area have a significantly higher ratio of women to men, augmented by (my personal thought) that there is a pretty high rate of homosexuality amongst the male population there.......easy pickins :cool: :laugh:

I was friends with a bunch of emory medstudents back in college and grad school, and most of them seemed very happy there. they would kind of disappear at 4 week intervals due to the block testing, but they thought the letter grading this really isnt a big deal (since most schools have some veiled way of ranking students anyways). What type of curriculum you like or will thrive in is pretty subjective. some people like organ based, some people like a pbl mix, some people like traditional, its all based on your personal strengths and preferences. the location is great in my opinion and grady is an awesome place to train clinically, and the school's research funds are growing exponentially due to the increased lab space built in the last few years.

its a great school, i almost went there but i couldnt do 10 years at the same school :p good luck :D

Originally posted by jmlee
Can anyone tell me good reasons not to go to Emory? Current students at Emory Med- what's bad about it? Does the A/B/C/D/F grading system and block testing lead to a tense and competitive academic environment? Are you happy with the traditional lecture format?

thanks!

I asked these students the very same questions, and they seemed to love Atlanta, their school, and their classmates. The work is hard, but its not too competitive. The campus is beautiful, their endowment is ridiculous, and its in Atlanta. The block testing actually gives them vacation.

Everyone I met seem to love it there, and Emory was an EXTREMELY present surprise when I interviewed there. I did not expect to like it as much as I did, and Im really glad I went to check it out myself before casting judgement. If you got an interview there, Id recommend checking it out. They have a lot to offer.

I definitely had a biased view. I'm sure its something you can do research on though. I thought I had read several articles saying that it is a pretty bad place to be single. I also think the same article said baltimore and one other city are the best places to be single. I'm not a big fan of baltimore, but whatever. Demographics of the metro and Atlanta are also probably pretty different. Most metro folk (was one for 10 years) don't venture downtown and vice versa. Good point about the homosexual population, but it did make me a bit more paranoid about picking up girls in public places.

As for teh block exams, from what i"ve heard they actually get to take a break the two weeks after an exam, and then go hard core for the last two weeks before the exam. For a contrast, I have quizzes every week. No break, but I never have to go nuts.

Emory's a great school though. No doubt about it. If I wasn't here, I'd be there. If the administration gets organized enough, I'm pretty sure that they can become the center of a research jagernaut comparable to the best place (think of GaTech in bioengineering, CDC in epidemiology and infectious diseases, American Cancer Society in cancer, and Emory in everything.......huge potential).

One of the biggest pluses about the med school is that it is integrated into the campus. Most med schools I've been to are on the corner of the campus (because of the area needed for a hospital and so forth). I imagine you feel much more like a student at Emory as opposed to a medical student at emory.

YEah, I went to emory for undergrand and lived with some med students there for a while and the second year student was never at home, or if he was, he was studying. However, the other guys, third-years, were there a lot and had lots of free time. They said they really enjoyed the school, but the grading system was a bit stressful. Yeah, the school is pretty well integrated into the school and there are a lot of great opportunities (I myself did some lab research at the CDC right across the street from campus). I enjoyed the undergrad experience, a little elitist and stuck-up for me being from Seattle, but the people in ATL are cool. Also, except for the summer, the weather's awesome! Definitely a good pick if you can get in (they are notorious for liking numbers over people).