Why Psych/Soc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way, but why is Psych/Soc on the MCAT? I am not asking this, because I am tired of studying for P/S, because I finally took the beast called the MCAT last weekend :clap: Honestly, it has been my all-around best section, and I was seconds away from minoring in Psychology during Undergrad. But I just can't understand why it is tested?

Is it to prepare for ethics classes and understanding sociology for medical school? If you can't tell, I am a little bored and trying to take my mind off of waiting for this dang score to release lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Take a look at all the articles, websites and apps that are focused on wellness and mental health. The controversy behind 13 Reasons Why, Stranger Things, triggers and microaggressions. Even the background check v mental health check debate has become a hot topic in that particular domain.

Also, consider how your future patients will make decisions? Decisions like which doctor do I choose, what do I see the doctor for, what treatment do I opt for, how closely will I follow my treatment regimen, etc. Psychology and Sociology will give you a framework to better understand the intrinsic and extrinsic motivators, value systems, cultural paradigms, and social pressures that drive the patient's decision making process (and by some extension, your own). By understanding those motivators and processes, you are better equipped to help guide/lead your patient to better compliance rates and health outcomes. For example, stigmatization of sexually transmitted infections often hinders the highest risk populations from seeking appropriate screenings and treatments due to negative pressures from peers and power figures.

I believe that the early exposure to psychology and sociology concepts help incoming medical students to better appreciate the nuances of these fields when they encounter the subjects in their pre-clinical years, which will set them up to be more well-rounded, compassionate, and sensitive physicians when they begin their practice.

Reactions: 2 users
My guess would be that understanding the society that people come from, and the way people think will help future physicians treat their patients better

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why is Psych/Soc on the MCAT? I am not asking this, because I am tired of studying for P/S, because I finally took the beast called the MCAT last weekend :clap: Honestly, it has been my all-around best section, and I was seconds away from minoring in Psychology during Undergrad. But I just can't understand why it is tested?

Is it to prepare for ethics classes and understanding sociology for medical school? If you can't tell, I am a little bored and trying to take my mind off of waiting for this dang score to release lol.
If you haven't noticed, many med schools are emphasizing the soft sciences/humanities in education. it only makes sense that the exam to gain entrance to med school would reflect that as well. They want well-rounded students, not just those that can perform well in the hard-sciences

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure the exact answer to your question. However, I have noticed a shift the last few times that I have visited the doctor. I am what people affectionately refer to as obese, and with that comes type II diabetes. So I have been going to the doctor about the nerve pain in my feet. Lately every time I go, I am asked some variation of the following:

Any change in your mental health?

Any mental health issues?

Any history of mental health? Etc...

No, I am just "big bone," no mental health issues.

I believe its more a shift in our society and where the focus of the medical community is going.

I can understand why P/S is on the MCAT for reasons people have already mentioned. What I don’t understand is why CARS is on it.

I can understand why P/S is on the MCAT for reasons people have already mentioned. What I don’t understand is why CARS is on it.

CARS requires you to put yourself in the mind of someone you don’t know and figure out what they are really saying and what they are implying but not saying. It requires you to tackle passages from a variety of topics, a different one each time and with no idea what’s coming next.

Not sure what sort of clinical experience you have, but as someone who has delivered primary care, those skills are essential for treating patients.

Reactions: 1 users
CARS requires you to put yourself in the mind of someone you don’t know and figure out what they are really saying and what they are implying but not saying. It requires you to tackle passages from a variety of topics, a different one each time and with no idea what’s coming next.

Not sure what sort of clinical experience you have, but as someone who has delivered primary care, those skills are essential for treating patients.

This is a great point but also consider that as a doctor, you will be responsible for your own personal continuing medical education. This includes staying abreast of the emerging literature and scientific discoveries and claims being made. Being able to critique and interpret this literature (that can at times be flawed or skewed) is hugely important in being able to deliver the best quality care to your future patients.

This is a great point but also consider that as a doctor, you will be responsible for your own personal continuing medical education. This includes staying abreast of the emerging literature and scientific discoveries and claims being made. Being able to critique and interpret this literature (that can at times be flawed or skewed) is hugely important in being able to deliver the best quality care to your future patients.

Yep. I’ve been the primary care provider for about 300 people. It is a lot of responsibility, and I tried to constantly be learning so I wouldn’t miss something.

I really think this is why the MCAT is structured this way. C/p and b/b test your ability to read, analyze, and extrapolate from scientific papers, cars does what I mentioned earlier, and p/s theoretically tests the softer skills (though I’d argue in its current formulation it doesn’t actually do this).

I completely agree that psychology/sociology will better help relate with patients. Just like @Matthew9Thirtyfive said, I wish it were formulated differently. In my eyes at least, it was easy to study the 300 page document and be well prepared for the p/s section.

Also, I did not know that physicians were in charge of their own CEU’s. Thank you @Zenabi90

I completely agree that psychology/sociology will better help relate with patients. Just like @Matthew9Thirtyfive said, I wish it were formulated differently. In my eyes at least, it was easy to study the 300 page document and be well prepared for the p/s section.

Also, I did not know that physicians were in charge of their own CEU’s. Thank you @Zenabi90
Yep. I got a 128 on p/s and literally did not study for it beyond the full lengths. It’s really kind of useless the way it is.

When you deliver primary care, you have to do so face to face and rely on things like body language, voice inflection, etc.

Interpreting those cues is completely different from interpreting a complex written text.