Why PsyD instead of LCSW or PMHNP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AutumnGrl

Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am finishing up my bachelors degree in psychology in 2 more semesters and after that I really want to go on to become a therapist. I am a little conflicted though because I found that after being a social worker for 3 years in NY (my state) you can become a LCSW and counsel people, I just want to start a career already and it just does not seem to make sense to spend extra time to get a Phd in psychology when I can still counsel people with a MSW after 3 years. Also I wanted to know why can a psychiatric nurse practitioner give medication when a psychologist can not? I don't live too far from NYC and even in that area I see more LCSW working than Psychologists. I really just don't want to be in school that long and end up with no job.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am finishing up my bachelors degree in psychology in 2 more semesters and after that I really want to go on to become a therapist. I am a little conflicted though because I found that after being a social worker for 3 years in NY (my state) you can become a LCSW and counsel people, I just want to start a career already and it just does not seem to make sense to spend extra time to get a Phd in psychology when I can still counsel people with a MSW after 3 years. Also I wanted to know why can a psychiatric nurse practitioner give medication when a psychologist can not? I don't live too far from NYC and even in that area I see more LCSW working than Psychologists. I really just don't want to be in school that long and end up with no job.:confused:

Well, just like stigmata said, it seems you are answering your own question. If all you want to do is become a therapist with the least amount of education becoming a LCSW or MHC or MFT is definitely the way to go. I am also near NYC and LCSW seems to be the better choice of the three. To answer your other question a psychologist does not prescribe in NY because it is out of their scope of practice, in this state anyway. Psych nurse practitioners prescribe because that is what they are trained to do. If you want to prescribe in the mental health setting with the least amount of education being a PNP is the way to go. However, from my understanding they have very little training in psychotherapy. I hope I have helped answer some of your questions with the little knowledge i posses :rolleyes: