"Why should we not accept you?" interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beachywahoo05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate this question!! It seems much worse than the typical "what is your biggest weakness". Does anyone have any advice as to answer this question without convincing them not to accept you?? Are you supposed to give them an real reason or say that they definitely should accept you? Any advice will help. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Humor is the key there. Look the interviewer in the eye, give a little chuckle, and say, "This is one question I DON'T have a good answer for."

Humor can go a long way. If they're obnoxious enough to ask that question, they deserve a response like that.

beachywahoo05 said:
I hate this question!! It seems much worse than the typical "what is your biggest weakness". Does anyone have any advice as to answer this question without convincing them not to accept you?? Are you supposed to give them an real reason or say that they definitely should accept you? Any advice will help. Thanks

For the biggest weakness one, I always say something like "my perfectionism and attention to minute details is sometimes overbearing and intrusive." that way, your biggest weakness is also a strength, but don't lie, find something like this that is true for you, something positive that you are sometimes anal about. I like the idea the Dork above me had as well ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of the ultimate tests of maturity. They're not really asking for your greatest weakness. What they really want to know is how you respond when someone doubts or questions you. I would say something like, "Well, without knowing what other candidates have to offer I can only tell you that I am proud of what my accomplishments and am sincere in my quest to become a physician. If these qualities are not compatible with [school name here] then I would not expect to recieve an acceptance."

cammy1313 said:
This is one of the ultimate tests of maturity. They're not really asking for your greatest weakness. What they really want to know is how you respond when someone doubts or questions you. I would say something like, "Well, without knowing what other candidates have to offer I can only tell you that I am proud of what my accomplishments and am sincere in my quest to become a physician. If these qualities are not compatible with [school name here] then I would not expect to recieve an acceptance."

I think saying something like that could be risky, especially the last part. I guess if you said it the right way, it could be pulled off.

medic170 said:
For the biggest weakness one, I always say something like "my perfectionism and attention to minute details is sometimes overbearing and intrusive." that way, your biggest weakness is also a strength, but don't lie, find something like this that is true for you, something positive that you are sometimes anal about. I like the idea the Dork above me had as well ;)

Yeah I agree with you on this one....asking why they shouldn't accept you seems just like another way to ask what a weakness of yours is....and in that case, you should say something that can be seen as both a strength and weakness....but say something that rings true for you....for me, i might say something like, "I get too focused at times, and forget to eat, sleep, shower, go to the bathroom, or do anything!" OK not all that, but you get the picture :laugh:

AnotherDork said:
Humor is the key there. Look the interviewer in the eye, give a little chuckle, and say, "This is one question I DON'T have a good answer for."

Humor can go a long way. If they're obnoxious enough to ask that question, they deserve a response like that.

I can't wait for obnoxious questions like this one. I like the humor answer - but you'd have to follow up with something more substantial. The humor should soften up anything you add later.

LabMonster said:
I can't wait for obnoxious questions like this one. I like the humor answer - but you'd have to follow up with something more substantial. The humor should soften up anything you add later.

Yeah very true...humor is always good...shows part of your personality and shows that you're not just some stiff robot...

This is not the same as a weakness question by any means. Your interviewers aren't looking for truth to these answers either. Humor them a little, and reaffirm why you're the perfect candidate for their school (or any other school for that matter). What I mean by this is not to highlight the compatibility of the school on your terms, but rather your dedication to the medical profession and how everything you have done up to that very date has been demonstrative of this. It could be just fine to cut it off at the humor, but if they stare at you after your answer is done and over with, you know they want a follow up.

I have talked to quite a few people who conduct interviews, and although some say they like honestly, most have told me they want to hear a well-constructed answer that depicts negative traits in light as positive ones. Don't tell your interviewer anything that you believe would reflect badly on yourself. That is not good.

Reactions: 1 user
i would say something about my grades or mcat.. that way you protect disclosing something they dont like about you.

i dont know about the humor approach, it may make you look insecure...be careful using that, i would say it can work greatly for you and greatly against you

yatzek said:
i would say something about my grades or mcat.. that way you protect disclosing something they dont like about you.

i dont know about the humor approach, it may make you look insecure...be careful using that, i would say it can work greatly for you and greatly against you

Why mention scores? This is an interview. It should be about getting to know you. That's all.

If they ask you "what is a weakness of your application," then you may mention scores (if that's what you think it is). Otherwise, don't bring it up. If it's an open-file interview, they already know it. If it's closed, don't open a can of worms.

NEVER EVER mention MCAT or GPA as a weakness, even if you do think they are. This is a big, huge no-no at an interview. If you do, it will absolutly be the one thing they will remember for sure when they fill out their report and sit at committee!!!