Why so many emoticons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ngkats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure I could alienate a bunch of people here but:

any one else annoyed with the overwhelming--borderline abusive--use of emoticons on this forum?

Members don't see this ad.

we need more imo

ughjerkit.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
i love them!!! i wish i had so many in other places. if anything, i want more!

we need more imo

ughjerkit.gif

Why not??

i love them!!! i wish i had so many in other places. if anything, i want more!

TRUTH

But in all honesty, at least they don't let you use your own smilies. Some forums have a more casual moderation of smilies and let you use your own, which can often lead to some disastrous, albeit hilarious, results.:laugh:

not the mention the restriction on the amount of smilies per post, which I love because some forums don't use that and you often see :boom:

i knew i'd be in the minority on this but I didn't think i'd be totally alone here...

Members don't see this ad :)
alright alright. you guys win.

it's the only way you can express emotion online so the more the merrier! :spam:

any one else annoyed with the overwhelming--borderline abusive--use of emoticons on this forum?
We need more emoticons, because we are emotional:lol::laugh::lol:

see, most of them have no relevance. for instance, is that last one a monkey? with red shoes? why?????

see, most of them have no relevance. for instance, is that last one a monkey? with red shoes? why?????

Why wouldn't the monkey be wearing red shoes is a better question...

:zip:He's so cute...

:lock::banana::lock::banana:

Awww it gave me this error:

Touche. Now I feel like going on a rampage:diebanana::diebanana::diebanana::boom:. While the dancing bananas/locks give me the shivers the die banana emoticon induces a euphoria.

i'm not gonna lie:

sometimes if i'm on facebook or sending an email, there are emoticons from sdn that i reeeeeeeally need.

especially these: :eek:, :confused:, :rolleyes:

i fantasize about using them.

blasphemy *shaking head*

You asked why do we have so many of them?

ANSWER: How the heck else am I supposed to express this emotion :roflcopter: with out the image? it would take forever.

Example: I start laughing, slowly at first but then I laugh so hard that my head starts to float above the ground...suddenly I realize that this may be detrimental to my health and/or the thing I was laughing about no longer becomes funny and/or I realize that the person posting was actually serious so I do not want to hurt their feelings by roflcoptering them.

SPLUHHH

i'm not gonna lie:

sometimes if i'm on facebook or sending an email, there are emoticons from sdn that i reeeeeeeally need.

i fantasize about using them.

Same here... I have started putting emoticons in my facebook posts...

:yawn:

i'm not gonna lie:

i fantasize about using them
:thumbup:

I am, dammit. But, at least we don't have to deal with those annoying foreign people and their ridiculously repetitive period replacing smilies:D Those bastards put it after nearly every sentence:D I can't f*cking take that ****:D

Don't give up, dammit.

I finally have a comrade...

and I'll never give up

I agree with the original poster.

Emoticons, particularly the jittery ones are annoying. The people that use them the most seem to have all found this thread. hmmmm...

But of course there's nothing wrong with using them! Just like there's nothing wrong with being incompetent, a ******, or overweight.

I swear I'm not being sarcastic.

I'm back and forth about this all the time. I was originally a really traditional type who thought emoticons were idiotic, but I've also learned that they can be useful. Since there's no such thing as "tone" on the internet, it can be awfully easy to misunderstand a poster's intentions, and this can cause hurt feelings. (This has even happened to me in email correspondence with people I know well.) Emoticons can head off some of that trouble by making it obvious what your tone is supposed to be.

Besides, the "die banana!" smiley is hard to resist. (I love the "barf" one too, but I haven't found an excuse to use it yet.)