Why So Many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

Frank22

Sorry if this isn't all that on topic, but why does it seem that so many people apply to dental school who simply lack the intellectual capacity to undergo the coursework? When I was at CC, I saw a number of students who were failing biology classes but had aspirations of being dentists? Is this natural for all healthcare fields? I also had a cousin who wanted to be a doctor but couldn't pass algebra? Amazing!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this isn't all that on topic, but why does it seem that so many people apply to dental school who simply lack the intellectual capacity to undergo the coursework? When I was at CC, I saw a number of students who were failing biology classes but had aspirations of being dentists? Is this natural for all healthcare fields? I also had a cousin who wanted to be a doctor but couldn't pass algebra? Amazing!
Cause it takes too much effort to click a few extra buttons; that's why.

Members don't see this ad :)
I foresee nothing but positive, constructive discussion in this thread.

I understand that there are amenities to choosing a career in dentistry, but those amenities amount to nothing if the student cannot even get an interview! How many students are failing science classes at CC and getting into dental school nowadays?

I understand that there are amenities to choosing a career in dentistry, but those amenities amount to nothing if the student cannot even get an interview! How many students are failing science classes at CC and getting into dental school nowadays?

While this may be true there are some that try really hard and are just not good enough at science while others just believe that wishful thinking will get them there. May I suggest being a little more sensitive though? People on this forum may be or have been in those unfortunate situations. For the most part, I do not believe it is not intellectual capacity, it's a matter of priorities and what you truly value the most.

I apologize for not being more sensitive; I do think that some members overestimate the competitiveness of dental school, but there are many more who are much more sophomoric in their idealism.

While this may be true there are some that try really hard and are just not good enough at science while others just believe that wishful thinking will get them there. May I suggest being a little more sensitive though? People on this forum may be or have been in those unfortunate situations. For the most part, I do not believe it is not intellectual capacity, it's a matter of priorities and what you truly value the most.
^^ This ^^

Like this for anything medical related that gives money, unfortunately.

Some of my friends believe that dentistry is the easier option when they fail to get into med school. A false hope - a promise that they can change their fortunes, to begin again. This belief kept them going, but they never tried to study harder since it's "just dental school". None of them scored higher than 19 though.

...I do think that some members overestimate the competitiveness of dental school, but there are many more who are much more sophomoric in their idealism.

:idea:

Last edited:
Sorry, my RC isn't in the 90+ percentile. What are you saying here? :thumbdown:

They Said Walt Disney Had No Imagination :thumbup:
http://www.mikelbrown.com/they-said-walt-disney-had-no-imagination/

Why tell others to give up and force your limitation on their? Why don't you focus on yourself? :idea:

Where did I force any of the aforementioned accusations upon anyone? I said that someone who couldn't pass an elementary biology course at a CC can't meet the intellectual demands of being a dentist. I would also say that one who can't pass a course in algebra cannot be a rocket scientist, nor can someone who can't do a pushup be a marine. That is not being harsh, it is not even realism; it is common sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize for not being more sensitive; I do think that some members overestimate the competitiveness of dental school, but there are many more who are much more sophomoric in their idealism.

I will agree that a lot of people do not consider how competitive dental is now. It's like a 40 percent acceptance rate which is really low compared to other health professions.

Great points Frank22. I didn't know that so many people who are failing CC classes are striving to become dentists. Your insight is invaluable and have brought great discussion to this topic. They probably will not get any interviews because of their low grades, and will probably have to settle for a more humbling career, such as being a dental assistant.

I'm not sure of the exact statistics of the percentage of people who fail CC classes that eventually become dentists (do they publish such things?), but I'm sure it's very low.

Great points Frank22. I didn't know that so many people who are failing CC classes are striving to become dentists. Your insight is invaluable and have brought great discussion to this topic. They probably will not get any interviews because of their low grades, and will probably have to settle for a more humbling career, such as being a dental assistant.

I'm not sure of the exact statistics of the percentage of people who fail CC classes that eventually become dentists (do they publish such things?), but I'm sure it's very low.

Why the sarcasm? I missed the part where any of what was posted came off as condescending or harsh. It speaks wonders of the milieu of our day that one can be rebuked for making a simple observation.

just because you fail a CC class it does not mean that you lack intellectual capacity, a lot of people are single parents trying to pursue their dream, or maybe a family member passed away. You never know. My first biology class at a CC i got a B, (personal issues, family.) although i did not fail, i am now a straight A student. 3.86 GPA. ( i did get 2 B-'s in math 2 years ago, i hate math)
my point is, you cannot measure intellectual capacity just based off of grades or whether or not a person fails or passes.
Also, most people start off at a CC, so if someone failed a class like 3 years ago it doesn't mean that they lack intellectual capacity.
It is not up to us to judge. Everyone is different.

This thread should probably be locked; I apologize for my lack of "political correctness."

Only if op said "low gpa people" instead of low intellectuals. As others said, there are too many factors to consider for someone failing a science course besides their intelligence.
Are they mature? Do they have enough time to prioritize? Do they know how to study? Living with a non-supportive family? Do they have to support themselves working 40+ hours?.
Either way, people that can't handle course load switch their major o their career choice, or they are not selected during application process.

I do realize that it is probably my fault for speaking of intelligence and academic success, which is usually regarded as taboo in western countries. That being said, the correlation between the two is as authenticated as the theory of evolution, and yet people still doubt both (for similar reasons; they disagree with their cultural biases and predilections). I do still think the girl who studies for four hours on a test involving converting units and doesn't manage to pass probably won't be able to get anywhere near a 30 on the MCAT. I have yet to see anyone on this forum with that level of incompetence, and apologize to anyone who felt that I was making any innuendos.

Last edited:
This is not your original argument. You asked if someone who was failing biology at CC would likely to get accepted to dental school. The answer is you don't know. There could be other reasons.

Don't just pull up some random and obvious stuff and use that to prove an argument

this thread is really unnecessary...

I am sure you are going to be a great dentist with such a heart. good luck

Koalafied said:
I get what you're trying to point out; however, it can sometimes be difficult to phrase your point correctly and inclusively.
Here, I rephrased your point for you:
▶ Central Point:
Why are there so many "less informed" entitled people applying to dental school?
Rules said:
Concede or refute whilst adhering to the rules below, please.:)
360px-Graham%27s_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.png
  • This is a pre-health professional forum and professional behavior and treatment of other users is expected.
  • Users' posts are expected to contribute to the threads and discussions in which they take place.
  • There are social threads and even an entire forum for posting random thoughts or unrelated content.
  • A consistent pattern of not fulfilling these basic expectations will result in action, up to and including banning from the site in accordance with the Terms of Service which all members agree to at the time of registration.

Last edited:
This is not your original argument. You asked if someone who was failing biology at CC would likely to get accepted to dental school. The answer is you don't know. There could be other reasons.

Which is irrelevant, because you claimed that one needed to be an adcom to "judge applicants."

Don't just pull up some random and obvious stuff and use that to prove an argument

I was using an extreme to illustrate the omphalos of my reasoning; apparently you missed it.

This thread should probably be locked; I apologize for my lack of "political correctness."

I don't think you lack political correctness. I think you lack a sense of respect towards others and humility.

i don't think you lack political correctness. I think you lack a sense of respect towards others and humility.

...+1

Last edited:
Can this thread be locked now? I didn't know it would generate a foofaraw.

Last edited:

Alright then, it seems as though your point does not even remotely align with mine. Well in that case, you are not entitled to any thoughtful opinion(s) from me unless I start seeing some more professionally thoughtful responses; however, I don't think it's actually necessary to close this thread.

Why don't we all just form professionally thought out agreements or disagreements as outlined in post #26, and let the unprofessionally thought out disagreements and agreements, thus far, be examples of what to try to avoid; pretty please?:)

Alright then, it seems as though your point does not even remotely align with mine. Well in that case, you are not entitled to any thoughtful opinion(s) from me unless I start seeing some more professionally thoughtful responses; however, I don't think it's actually necessary to close this thread.

Why don't we all just form professionally thought out agreements or disagreements as outlined in post #26, and let the unprofessionally thought out disagreements and agreements, thus far, be examples of what to try to avoid; pretty please?:)

What a world it would be if everyone was able to provide a logical response for why he or she holds a certain viewpoint. Unfortunately, I am called harsh, heartless, lacking respect and humility, and the like without any sort of supporting evidence made to buttress such a view. Perhaps it is my fault to an extent; I should note that I was raised in poverty for much of my life, and thus do not have a good understanding of social norms and may come off as offensive without knowing. If that is the case, it would be nice to know what social norm I violated and how to avoid it in the future.

While it is true some people have rather unrealistic dreams of becoming a physician/dentist/astronaut/what-have-you, failing a CC course is not an indication of one's intellect.

It IS an indication of how one is learning and absorbing materials from the class; even the smartest person CAN fail a class.

I do agree that some people seem to hold a false hope of achieving more than they are capable of, but the truth is noone knows what they are capable of.

Heck, we don't even know what we are capable of.

Judging other people's intellect, or capability based on classes is, I think, rather a waste of time.

Why the sarcasm? I missed the part where any of what was posted came off as condescending or harsh. It speaks wonders of the milieu of our day that one can be rebuked for making a simple observation.
Which is irrelevant, because you claimed that one needed to be an adcom to "judge applicants."
I was using an extreme to illustrate the omphalos of my reasoning; apparently you missed it.

Thanks for the vocab lesson. These weren't in my mental file of English words until today.
I, myself, went to community college because of lacking resources, and saw peers failing here and there -- some genuinely due to lack of drive, but some due to situations beyond their control. You wouldn't even want or imagine yourself in the positions they are in. And you know that these people are SMART, and have dreams like you and me.

What a world it would be if everyone was able to provide a logical response for why he or she holds a certain viewpoint. Unfortunately, I am called harsh, heartless, lacking respect and humility, and the like without any sort of supporting evidence made to buttress such a view. Perhaps it is my fault to an extent; I should note that I was raised in poverty for much of my life, and thus do not have a good understanding of social norms and may come off as offensive without knowing. If that is the case, it would be nice to know what social norm I violated and how to avoid it in the future.

Some people didn't have control over things bigger than them, and they shouldn't be scorned because of it in these kinds of threads. I agree this thread should be locked before it generates additional hate/hurt.

Last edited:

Best of luck. :love:

Last edited:
To his/her own bigotry.

Look, just go outside more often to expand your horizons where you'd get a more expansive view/perspective of this world rather than the confines of your current situation. And I don't necessarily mean making a flight to another country. Perhaps this outside is closer to you than what you currently imagine.
While it is true some people have rather unrealistic dreams of becoming a physician/dentist/astronaut/what-have-you, failing a CC course is not an indication of one's intellect.

It IS an indication of how one is learning and absorbing materials from the class; even the smartest person CAN fail a class.
I agree. Also, and neither is passing a course any more indicative than failing one.
:thumbup:
Judging other people's intellect, or capability based on classes is, I think, rather a waste of time.
This

"But who are we to judge?"
Maybe because I am an Asian immigrant wanting to get a decent education in the US, but don't quite have the resources to go straight to a university, which resulted in me resorting me to a "lower-quality" community college education.
Be grateful you even have this lifetime opportunity and privilege. Society doesn't owe anyone squat. Period. The fact that anyone even existing in this current time frame is a miracle. Period.
Hate/Hurt? Common sense should not "hurt" anyone any more than it should generating any "hate;" if any.

You are appurtenant to the actuality of my subsistence, as you do not veraciously exist.
You are perforce a diminutive quantum of the arcane of my own cognitive process indomitable, omniscient perspicacity.
You are nugatory; you are of no intrinsic eminence. You are of nihility.
Your erstwhile conjectures are in blatant contravention of the Law of Noncontradiction; your ratiocination has always been vitiated.
This is not a facetious floccinaucinihilipilification; the palpable verity is unequivocal.

That is to recapitulate in ternary asseverations:
(1) You do not have substance.
(2) You do not have properties.
(3) You are but a prevarication.

Do not be bludgeoned by the august verbosity; I am the paramount arbitrator.

Promulgate it to me, ken-coerced entities! Do such prolix axioms vouchsafe solace and dithyrambically assuage the bereft moral onuses of what you had heretofore postulated as an indubitable existence? Or do these nonplused vituperations poignantly asphyxiate you in an inextricable ignominy to even nonchalantly cognize that you are not autonomous of my immaculate apperception?

Your subjective verisimilitude is incommensurable to objective certainty. Coerce this dictum, uncontrived troglodyte, into your convictional poppycock. Emend your quondam ideata by consigning to oblivion the spurious fallibility that permeates you.

Dissertate these revelations, fora patron.

Last edited:
So many gems in this thread... makes me happy to see that the arrogant pre-med attitude is still alive and well.

Some of my friends believe that dentistry is the easier option when they fail to get into med school. A false hope - a promise that they can change their fortunes, to begin again. This belief kept them going, but they never tried to study harder since it's "just dental school". None of them scored higher than 19 though.

Contrary to SDN belief... 19 is a solid score on the DAT and does/will get many people into dental school.

:clap::clap::clap:

I don't think you lack political correctness. I think you lack a sense of respect towards others and humility.

:thumbup: Well said!

OP, i am just trying to figure out the purpose of this thread?! Were you trying to make yourself feel good for being intellectually superior? Do the loads of people who fail bio at your CC despise and hate you? Do they make your life miserable some how? Does it frustrate you that other people have the same desire as you to be a dentist, but don't have the moxie (yea another vocab word) to be successful for it?

All the above was communicated to the 30+ of us who have commented, but more importantly the 1200 other viewers you have had.

I do agree that some people seem to hold a false hope of achieving more than they are capable of, but the truth is noone knows what they are capable of.

Well said again!

I quote so that Frank's wisdom can stay with us forever and not be deleted when he realizes the error of his ways, like he has already done twice.

Where did I force any of the aforementioned accusations upon anyone? I said that someone who couldn't pass an elementary biology course at a CC can't meet the intellectual demands of being a dentist. I would also say that one who can't pass a course in algebra cannot be a rocket scientist, nor can someone who can't do a pushup be a marine. That is not being harsh, it is not even realism; it is common sense.

I do realize that it is probably my fault for speaking of intelligence and academic success, which is usually regarded as taboo in western countries. That being said, the correlation between the two is as authenticated as the theory of evolution, and yet people still doubt both (for similar reasons; they disagree with their cultural biases and predilections). I do still think the girl who studies for four hours on a test involving converting units and doesn't manage to pass probably won't be able to get anywhere near a 30 on the MCAT. I have yet to see anyone on this forum with that level of incompetence, and apologize to anyone who felt that I was making any innuendos.

You need to be an adcom to know that a 2.5 GPA and a 16 DAT won't get you into dental school?

With "such a heart?" Good grief.

You are appurtenant to the actuality of my subsistence, as you do not veraciously exist.
You are perforce a diminutive quantum of the arcane of my own cognitive process indomitable, omniscient perspicacity.
Your erstwhile conjectures are in blatant contravention of the Law of Noncontradiction; your ratiocination has always been vitiated.
This is not a facetious floccinaucinihilipilification; the palpable verity is unequivocal.

Promulgate it to me, ken-coerced entities! Do such prolix axioms vouchsafe solace and dithyrambically assuage the bereft moral onuses of what you had heretofore postulated as an indubitable existence? Or do these nonplused vituperations poignantly asphyxiate you in an inextricable ignominy to even nonchalantly cognize that you are not autonomous of my immaculate apperception?

Your subjective verisimilitude is incommensurable to objective certainty. Coerce this dictum, uncontrived troglodyte, into your convictional poppycock. Emend your quondam ideata by consigning to oblivion the spurious fallibility that permeates you.

You could have made it easier for these
obfuscating. while it's cute to pull out latin proverbs on a forum arguably full of smart people, it doesn't help move the conversation forward for simple minded folk like me.

i just want to go to the skool that teaches me to use the whirry tools to clean the stains off people's teeth.
to understand.

I prefer 'chillax.':cool:

This is besides the central point, but since when were podiatrists "the paramount arbitrator?":confused::confused::confused:

Okay--I made this thread to feel good about myself and put down those loser CC kids. *Insert big word.*

LOL, this was just what i needed to see to boost the entertainment of this already entertaining thread by another 9000%.

:corny:

OP, i am just trying to figure out the purpose of this thread?! Were you trying to make yourself feel good for being intellectually superior? Do the loads of people who fail bio at your CC despise and hate you? Do they make your life miserable some how? Does it frustrate you that other people have the same desire as you to be a dentist, but don't have the moxie (yea another vocab word) to be successful for it?

Actually all I did was ask a simple question about a trend that I found odd, and, rather than thinking like a rational human being and replying accordingly, you resorted to the some emotionalism that is so rampant in this thread. How easy would it be to make lame jokes, laugh, spew fictitious accusations, scorn, and mock everyone who disagreed with your viewpoint? When you receive an interview for dental school and are asked a question that you don't like, are you going to go on SDN and spew vitriol at the interviewer? It is much more impressive to use reason and logic and provide a sufficient answer that satiates both sides.

You made an account on this forum and used your first post to insult me? :laugh::laugh: Nor was any of what I have typed comparable to the sesquipedalianism in your post. There is a difference between using educated language, over-educated language, and puerile grammar and syntax. Perhaps you should learn the difference between the three.

Last edited:
I think ppl need to give Frank a break. As much as I do not like the judgmental intonation on the first post, I believe, his opinion is legit. Unfortunately for now, numerated scoring is the best available way to determine one's intellectual capability. We need to understand that this is the perspective that's Frank is taking. So, based on this belief, Frank is not wrong.

However, we all know that scores are not everything. The scoring system we have right now fails to capture the quality of a person as a whole (they're still trying to improve the system, but we'll have to wait a bit more to have it perfected).There are too many things that will make you a great dentist and thus, we shouldn't say things mentioned on the OP.

Nonetheless, thanks Frank for being brave enough to bring this conversation to the surface.

I think ppl need to give Frank a break. As much as I do not like the judgmental intonation on the first post, I believe, his opinion is legit. Unfortunately for now, numerated scoring is the best available way to determine one's intellectual capability. We need to understand that this is the perspective that's Frank is taking. So, based on this belief, Frank is not wrong.

However, we all know that scores are not everything. The scoring system we have right now fails to capture the quality of a person as a whole (they're still trying to improve the system, but we'll have to wait a bit more to have it perfected).There are too many things that will make you a great dentist and thus, we shouldn't say things mentioned on the OP.

Nonetheless, thanks Frank for being brave enough to bring this conversation to the surface.

I appreciate the kind comments. :)

That being said, I would note that although there are factors outside of intelligence that make for a great dentist (manual dexterity, interpersonal intelligence, and et cetera) there is a minimum threshold of intelligence, or more specifically the g-factor, that is necessary for one to be a dentist, just as there is for one to be a mathematician, pianist, banker, priest, CEO, or any other career for that matter. Furthermore, and for all intents and purposes, one does not need to measure the intelligence of a student to know that he or she is not intelligent enough to be a dentist when he or she studies for numerous hours on an extremely rudimentary science test and still cannot pass the exam. Yes, the most accurate measure of intelligence thus far is IQ, or specifically the WAIS-III and WAIS-IV tests, but one is able to tell whether another is intelligent or not by simply looking at his or her oratorical ability, rhetoric, and academic achievements. Finally, there are some students who are very intelligent and still do not do well academically for a plethora of reasons, but this evades the main issue, which is that of a student who studies incessantly and cannot succeed despite his or her most earnest efforts to do so.

Last edited:
Why don't we all just form professionally thought out agreements or disagreements
no u
Hmmm... here:
no u
This is just a mere question/suggestion but certainly not a direct command of any sort.:p