why the big "apply early!" rush....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rszam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing this whole "Apply early!" talk all over the place and I wanted to understand the reasoning behind it.

why are we told to get in the app's before july and DAT before aug? Is it that 90% of the dental seats are gone by then or what?

Furthermore, most school deadlines can go until January and beyond! Why not take those months to perfect your DAT score and end up getting something schools won't say no too.

Personally, I have a 3.8 SGPA/3.8GPA and I think if I take the DAT in October, giving me like 4 months to ace the DAT and get 20's, I could get offers...right?

your thoughts are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I keep hearing this whole "Apply early!" talk all over the place and I wanted to understand the reasoning behind it.

why are we told to get in the app's before july and DAT before aug? Is it that 90% of the dental seats are gone by then or what?

Furthermore, most school deadlines can go until January and beyond! Why not take those months to perfect your DAT score and end up getting something schools won't say no too.

Personally, I have a 3.8 SGPA/3.8GPA and I think if I take the DAT in October, giving me like 4 months to ace the DAT and get 20's, I could get offers...right?

Dont apply early and then you will know the big rush of "apply early":D:D

It really is a big deal. I applied my first year in December. I went to an interview and they told me everything looked good but my timing, and they had made their initial choices before they got my app. I think they had a deadline in feb. or something. I applied much earlier the next year. Maybe some schools make such a big deal of this because they see it as a way to judge your behavior. It's something that can be easily compared to others, even though it may not be a valid indicator of past or future success. People like to be able to make easy comparisons when making decisions, even if they are somewhat arbitrary.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you both trying to say that close to 100% of the seats would be decided by september-ish?

are you both trying to say that close to 100% of the seats would be decided by september-ish?

Nope. It's just that most schools have already sent out the initial set of interview letters. Think of it as first come first serve. You want to be first in line just in case the food runs out.

The seats aren't ALL decided by september. The rush to apply early is that it is looked very, very favorably by adcoms... possibly to the point of a little forgiveness for other parts that are lacking on your application. At the same time, some people who would normally get interviews don't receive them because some of their materials aren't in on time.

Once I went in for a personal visit to one school, and met with the dean of admissions before the application cycle started (I believe in April). He kept stressing to turn in my app as soon as it is available. Later, I'd say about June 5th, my brother who goes to said school called me to say that he ran into the dean that I had met with. He had asked my brother if my app was in already and was a little annoyed to hear that I hadn't turned it in yet.
The dentist that I was shadowing wouldn't even let me come back to shadow until my application was finished.

There is a reason that the FIRST bit of advice you will hear from anyone about applying to school is to turn everything in ASAP. It really matters. I don't think I would have received any interview invites had I not applied that early (and those interviews I did get weren't until November and January.)

Many people find basically true statements and take them to an extreme conclusion. The first round of acceptances go out on December 1st. It takes time for AADSAS to process your application and then it takes time for the individual school to process your application. So, you put yourself at a disadvantage if you don't apply early enough that the admissions committee has seen your application before the Dec 1 letters go out.

From what various Deans of Admission told me, as well as discussions with my classmates (I'm a D1), I'd predict that cut-off is early to mid September. Anything earlier than that will make you feel better because you'll get accepted earlier, but won't really change impact your odds much, if at all.

That said, remember that your application isn't processed until it is complete. So, the earlier you apply, the more time you have to fix mistakes (AADSAS doesn't care who made the mistake).

Well lets say my application is already in (probably be submitting it today)..

whats the latest I should take the DAT to stay in the early pool and get an interview and Dec. 1st letter?

I would say take it latest by the end of July. Make sure all other documents are submitted and received.

A reason I would say apply early is that if there were any mistakes/ missing documents/ lost documents, you would be able to catch it in good time. Trust me, it does happen.

good luck.

Well lets say my application is already in (probably be submitting it today)..

whats the latest I should take the DAT to stay in the early pool and get an interview and Dec. 1st letter?

Have you already signed up to take the DAT? I know there is a period of time that must pass between signing up and taking it.

It really is a big deal. I applied my first year in December. I went to an interview and they told me everything looked good but my timing, and they had made their initial choices before they got my app. I think they had a deadline in feb. or something. I applied much earlier the next year. Maybe some schools make such a big deal of this because they see it as a way to judge your behavior. It's something that can be easily compared to others, even though it may not be a valid indicator of past or future success. People like to be able to make easy comparisons when making decisions, even if they are somewhat arbitrary.
I had the same experience. First time around, the schools got my package from AADSAS in late November. Had a couple of interviews but wasn't accepted anywhere. Next cycle, the schools had my application by early July. Also had several interviews. But, this time I received acceptances to three schools.
I actually asked about this between the two cycles and was told that the general trend is less applications come from AADSAS between June and the end of August giving you a better shot of standing out in the crowd. She said they see about a threefold increase in applications received after September 1st compared to the June-August application numbers.
Also, most admissions committees are composed primarily of profs from the dental school. They generally have less on their plates in the summer months so have more time to devote to perusing application packets.
From my experience, don't wait. Even with a stron application, its a big gamble to take--both in time and money.

^ I think he nailed it.

It is a huge deal. Especially getting the AADSAS submitted. The DAT doesn't take a lot of processing time from the time you take it to when the official scores get to the school. The priority is that you get AADSAS and secondaries in ASAP. The DAT you can stall to July. Get the actual applications in ASAP though.

...or just wait... mine is already in and I'd love to have less competition :)

I applied near Christmas last year and still got three interviews. In any event, I still think one takes a risk when one applies late. I do however see a logic in taking more time to perfect you DAT and Application. I suggest that the OP strikes a balance. Give yourself enough time to study and write a good personal statement but try to get you stuff off by mid august

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what people have said so far. I met with the Dean of the Dental school here at UNC (he is a very "cool," down-to-earth guy by the way) a couple of weeks ago and i asked him about applying early. He told me that schools (UNC at least) do not start looking at applications until around mid-August. I think mid-July is around a good time to have yours done so that all of the AADSAS processing can be done by the end of Aug.

So how about this:

AADSAS Submitted Today...DAT at the end of August...meaning schools will have scores around mid Sept?

I am really tempted to take like 4 months and rock the DAT.....

If you get you take your DAT in October, no that there is still a time period to get your scores sent to every school. Also know that your application will probably then be beneath a large pile of applicants who have completed their app before you. You may not get interviews until Febuary, March, April. Not saying that you won't get in but it is not in your best interest to be in that situation. Also some schools fill up their class completely by December 1st (I know UConn does at least).

Plus, 4 months of DAT studying seems like it would have diminishing returns.

3.8 GPA and who knows...a 24AA would get rejected just for not being in on time?

that doesn't make sense...application timing has nothing to do with measuring the future success of someone in the dental field...

It does make sense. Not to knock you off your high horse but who is to say you will be the only one with a 3.8 and a 24 AA applying to dental school? Lets say there are some applicants with those stats who applied a month before you. There goes your spot.

If you don't believe us then take the DAT in four months. No one is stopping you.

You could be just fine if you have your AADSAS submitted.

God-willing I will be submitting to AADSAS tomorrow.

Past that, I am just frustrated to have to cram DAT for 2 months

Or you can just submit your AADSAS according to the 'early' timetable and just take your DAT later.

Either way, the earlier is better.

A dean at my school told me that my application arriving so late in the previous cycle was one of the main contributing factors for my rejection. An early application next time around and I got in to quite a few schools.

3.8 GPA and who knows...a 24AA would get rejected just for not being in on time?

that doesn't make sense...application timing has nothing to do with measuring the future success of someone in the dental field...

On the surface, a 3.8 and a 24 should get you in anywhere. Rolling admissions changes that. The admissions committees don't read every application and then rank the applicants. Instead, they read them as they come and start making a short list of individuals to interview. As the interviews start, those who have made a stellar impression and have even average scores may be added to the list of accepted individuals. If you apply late, more of the slots are already filled. If you are too late, you might not get accepted even though your stats are better than some. Its a concept that is foreign to most pre-dents.

Or you can just submit your AADSAS according to the 'early' timetable and just take your DAT later.

Either way, the earlier is better.

A dean at my school told me that my application arriving so late in the previous cycle was one of the main contributing factors for my rejection. An early application next time around and I got in to quite a few schools.

Man, you did not get ANY OTHER NAME than Benchod!!!
HAHAHHAHAHA

Believe me, 2 months is more than enough to study for the DAT as long as you put the time in every day and don't slack off for the 1st month...

Two words: Rolling admissions.

I have a hard time understanding why you wouldn't apply early and give yourself the best odds.

Because if I were to take the DAT tomorrow my scores would suffer and I would not be giving myself the best odds, if I wait and study 1 month, then my scores go up but I am a little later in applying.

Waited almost 4 months to take the DAT (which didn't help due to family medical issues that let me study 1-2 times a week). I knew my stats weren't great but I was extended quite a few interviews that started in early December to mid-February. The one thing that was told to me at the majority of those interviews...you should have applied earlier.

You need to get the early interviews so that you aren't being considered alongside the many many many late interviewees for the few remaining spots available because of the December 1 acceptances. For example, at UNLV we were told at my Feb. interview that something like 50 of the 75 seats had already been filled. That means we were in competition w/ the 15+ interviewees that were rolling in every week for the remaining 25 spots, and don't even think about how the numbers are even worse for the out-of-state applicant.

Long story short (PHEW!), put that application in early or else!!!! :eyebrow: