Why the LECOM hate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Students who attend REAL medical schools, you know, schools who actually have standards and don't just let any idiot attend, laugh at LECOM students. You test scores are often a joke, your GPAs are pretty pathetic as well.

When I select my family's physician, I'll make sure he or she is NOT a LECOM graduate. I've seen the caliber of students in attendance at LECOM, and it is a joke.
They even accept transfer credits from medical schools in Mexico!!

I am sorry that they rejected you - anger is the first step

Members don't see this ad.

Students who attend REAL medical schools, you know, schools who actually have standards and don't just let any idiot attend, laugh at LECOM students. You test scores are often a joke, your GPAs are pretty pathetic as well.

When I select my family's physician, I'll make sure he or she is NOT a LECOM graduate. I've seen the caliber of students in attendance at LECOM, and it is a joke.

It seems you're not from any medical school at all. Your name is FSUMED, yet your status says MD/PhD. There is no MD/PhD program at FSU. I doubt you have any actual knowledge about LECOM itself, or at best probably got rejected from there pre-interview. Quit being a prick.

Never mind.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Flame on bro, flame on!:flame:

I've been getting a vibe from a lot of SDNers that LECOM is the bottom of the barrel of DO schools. Yeah, there's a dress code. But what gives with all the hate? :confused:

One of my family friends goes to LECOM. She's doing very well and she has matched into a great program. I believe she had a very strong gpa but a MCAT score hovering below a 25. Either way, she is doing well and will make plenty of money later on.

A friend of mine and I have been talking about DO schools in general, at first I was thinking MDs but due to my calculus grades, it seems though DO makes more sense to apply to.

Current sophomore: based on the DO science gpa (calculus not counted): I have about a 3.5 sgpa and about a 3.4 cgpa. Hopefully by graduation I'll be at 3.6 cgpa/3.6 sgpa. Realized too late that a lot of my classes (physics/calculus) are well known weed out courses for engineers at my university. I'm a hard science major and pre-med. Two specific engineering based courses this term have made me look like this for the past few weeks (at a quarter system university): :scared:.

Probably going to be applying to DOs based on my grades, unless I do amazing next two years (which I hope so), I will probably strictly apply to DO schools and maybe a few instate MDs. I have ECs, I have tons of shadowing, starting to volunteer this summer, working on a publication with the professor at my lab. Part of a few clubs (not very active, I admit) and part of a National Honor Society (which I've been too busy this term to help out with their events).

One of my family friends goes to LECOM. She's doing very well and she has matched into a great program. I believe she had a very strong gpa but a MCAT score hovering below a 25. Either way, she is doing well and will make plenty of money later on.

A friend of mine and I have been talking about DO schools in general, at first I was thinking MDs but due to my calculus grades, it seems though DO makes more sense to apply to.

Current sophomore: based on the DO science gpa (calculus not counted): I have about a 3.5 sgpa and about a 3.4 cgpa. Hopefully by graduation I'll be at 3.6 cgpa/3.6 sgpa. Realized too late that a lot of my classes (physics/calculus) are well known weed out courses for engineers at my university. I'm a hard science major and pre-med. Two specific engineering based courses this term have made me look like this for the past few weeks (at a quarter system university): :scared:.

Probably going to be applying to DOs based on my grades, unless I do amazing next two years (which I hope so), I will probably strictly apply to DO schools and maybe a few instate MDs. I have ECs, I have tons of shadowing, starting to volunteer this summer, working on a publication with the professor at my lab. Part of a few clubs (not very active, I admit) and part of a National Honor Society (which I've been too busy this term to help out with their events).

This is odd. A 3.6 is competitive for MD as long as you compliment it with a good MCAT score. I have no idea why you'd think you're limited to DO with a potential 3.6

Let's get back to the real question. I have experience with LECOM and also with other osteopathic and allopathic medical schools. The average student attending LECOM will be beset with annoyances but will not run into the problems described on the "We Hate LECOM" web site, but some will. I'm personally familiar with a number of cases that produced the threads on the "We Hate LECOM" web site. I am personally convinced that many of those instances are genuine. I further believe that LECOM is a sick institution and the cause of the sickness lies in the Board or Directors and the high- and mid-level management. Personally, I expect there will be a day of accounting for them and for LECOM.

Let's get back to the real question. I have experience with LECOM and also with other osteopathic and allopathic medical schools. The average student attending LECOM will be beset with annoyances but will not run into the problems described on the "We Hate LECOM" web site, but some will. I'm personally familiar with a number of cases that produced the threads on the "We Hate LECOM" web site. I am personally convinced that many of those instances are genuine. I further believe that LECOM is a sick institution and the cause of the sickness lies in the Board or Directors and the high- and mid-level management. Personally, I expect there will be a day of accounting for them and for LECOM.
Sounds like a movie. 10/10 pre-osteos would watch. I've got popcorn.

You just created an account to bash LECOM?

let me just speak for myself here on this zombie thread: I went to a LECOM interview and I HATED it. Again, I am only speaking for myself and what I look for in a school. Your miles may definitely vary. but seriously, I couldn't stand it. Here is my reasoning of why I hated it: the facilities were as creepy as the admin who were really trying hard to push on us how they have the magic potion with PBL. seriously, one of the admins sat us down after a PBL session and asked us about what we saw and it reeked of some sort of self congratulatory practice where he was obviously expecting all of the interviewees to give positive reviews (because what interviewee would have the balls to say "I'm paying you money to teach myself?"). I chose not to comment at that point. The administration is where I see the problem is. The excessive and overbearing rules that are enforced by their security guards really reeked of a dictatorship and I knew I would want to kill myself if someone comes up to me and tells me that they don't like my appearance, or whatever.
the library, if that's what it should be called, consisted of a few racks of medical journals...and that's it. Then they took us to the anatomy room...the creepy clown paintings all over the hall was really really a nice touch. it's like someone decorated the place just for me based off of imagery extracted from my worst nightmares. for all of the students combined there are 5 cadavers. and all of them are prossected. I found it amusing how the admin really tried hard to justify prossected cadavers over the experience of actually dissecting one myself.
Another thing I noticed around campus was that students were rolling around big suitcases between classes. It turns out this is one of the medical schools where you have to actually buy every medical book and keep it around with you because as you see in your PBL session, every book is on the table and being rummaged through while looking up every little fact that is mentioned. I don't like that at all. doesnt seem like an efficient way for me to study. I know many medical students who told me that they never touched their medical books (minus the anatomy ones) and they never needed them, everything was on the lecture notes/slides. I guess PBL really isn't for me. but totally, I can understand why it is a great fit for many students. some people like studying that way. just not me.
The students guides were actually very kind and very informative too. our student guides had a chance to talk to us at lunch were very candid and I really appreciated that they didn't hold back their answers...though some of their answers were given to me with a *nudge nudge* as if they wanted me to follow the subtext of what they are saying. It was at the interview day that I found out about the "We Hate LECOM" website, and I checked it out afterwards and it seems like all of my suspicions were verified there.

I came back home and my mom picked me up from the airport. she asked me how I liked it. I was blunt and honest with her. I told her I really did not like it and that if that school was the only one to accept me this cycle, I would probably just wait out til the next cycle and reapply. She was not very happy to hear that. she said: "it's ok, medical school is medical school. wherever you get in, just make it through the four years and it'll be done." I responded that I would likely not make it through four years there, the place would drive me crazy and that's is not the way I want to do medical school. I got word from LECOM a week later, the best news: I was rejected. I wouldn't have to even contemplate choosing between reapplying next year and going to LECOM.

This is purely my experience. Everyone feels differently about different schools. soon after this experience, I was accepted into my two top choices for medical school that I really loved...and I'm sure that there are other people who feel the same way about these schools as I felt about LECOM. everyone has a different opinion on what fits best for them. Don't take any of what I say as dogma, just go to the interviews and see for yourself how well you feel a school fits.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
let me just speak for myself here on this zombie thread: I went to a LECOM interview and I HATED it. Again, I am only speaking for myself and what I look for in a school. Your miles may definitely vary. but seriously, I couldn't stand it. Here is my reasoning of why I hated it: the facilities were as creepy as the admin who were really trying hard to push on us how they have the magic potion with PBL. seriously, one of the admins sat us down after a PBL session and asked us about what we saw and it reeked of some sort of self congratulatory practice where he was obviously expecting all of the interviewees to give positive reviews (because what interviewee would have the balls to say "I'm paying you money to teach myself?"). I chose not to comment at that point. The administration is where I see the problem is. The excessive and overbearing rules that are enforced by their security guards really reeked of a dictatorship and I knew I would want to kill myself if someone comes up to me and tells me that they don't like my appearance, or whatever.
the library, if that's what it should be called, consisted of a few racks of medical journals...and that's it. Then they took us to the anatomy room...the creepy clown paintings all over the hall was really really a nice touch. it's like someone decorated the place just for me based off of imagery extracted from my worst nightmares. for all of the students combined there are 5 cadavers. and all of them are prossected. I found it amusing how the admin really tried hard to justify prossected cadavers over the experience of actually dissecting one myself.
Another thing I noticed around campus was that students were rolling around big suitcases between classes. It turns out this is one of the medical schools where you have to actually buy every medical book and keep it around with you because as you see in your PBL session, every book is on the table and being rummaged through while looking up every little fact that is mentioned. I don't like that at all. doesnt seem like an efficient way for me to study. I know many medical students who told me that they never touched their medical books (minus the anatomy ones) and they never needed them, everything was on the lecture notes/slides. I guess PBL really isn't for me. but totally, I can understand why it is a great fit for many students. some people like studying that way. just not me.
The students guides were actually very kind and very informative too. our student guides had a chance to talk to us at lunch were very candid and I really appreciated that they didn't hold back their answers...though some of their answers were given to me with a *nudge nudge* as if they wanted me to follow the subtext of what they are saying. It was at the interview day that I found out about the "We Hate LECOM" website, and I checked it out afterwards and it seems like all of my suspicions were verified there.

I came back home and my mom picked me up from the airport. she asked me how I liked it. I was blunt and honest with her. I told her I really did not like it and that if that school was the only one to accept me this cycle, I would probably just wait out til the next cycle and reapply. She was not very happy to hear that. she said: "it's ok, medical school is medical school. wherever you get in, just make it through the four years and it'll be done." I responded that I would likely not make it through four years there, the place would drive me crazy and that's is not the way I want to do medical school. I got word from LECOM a week later, the best news: I was rejected. I wouldn't have to even contemplate choosing between reapplying next year and going to LECOM.

This is purely my experience. Everyone feels differently about different schools. I was accepted into my two top choices for medical school that I really loved...and I'm sure that there are other people who feel the same way about these schools as I felt about LECOM. everyone has a different opinion on what fits best for them. Don't take any of what I say as dogma, just go to the interviews and see for yourself how well you feel a school fits.
I thought the same things. And, living in Erie, no thanks.

Also, I just wanted to add that PBL at LECOM doesn't make use of the cadaver lab.

I was excited to be accepted, but as soon as I got another offer, I jumped ship.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, when I went on my interview at LECOM Seton Hill I found the environment, students and faculty to be very welcoming. I did not meet any students at that campus that had anything negative to say that I ran across. I did not go to the Erie campus so I can not speak on the environment there. For me personally, PBL seemed like a good fit, as I enjoy reading the textbooks over lecture/PowerPoint and then collaborating after I have done my own studying. I also enjoyed the relaxed environment of the undergrad campus, the gym and cafeteria on that campus.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, when I went on my interview at LECOM Seton Hill I found the environment, students and faculty to be very welcoming. I did not meet any students at that campus that had anything negative to say that I ran across. I did not go to the Erie campus so I can not speak on the environment there. For me personally, PBL seemed like a good fit, as I enjoy reading the textbooks over lecture/PowerPoint and then collaborating after I have done my own studying. I also enjoyed the relaxed environment of the undergrad campus, the gym and cafeteria on that campus.
its a gorgeous campus too. but different strokes for different folks indeed

Members don't see this ad :)
If LECOM had no dress code, no food/drink ban, and had recorded lectures for its LDP curriculum, people would be fighting to get in.

Reactions: 4 users

This is purely my experience. Everyone feels differently about different schools. soon after this experience, I was accepted into my two top choices for medical school that I really loved...and I'm sure that there are other people who feel the same way about these schools as I felt about LECOM. everyone has a different opinion on what fits best for them. Don't take any of what I say as dogma, just go to the interviews and see for yourself how well you feel a school fits.

I felt the same way at my Erie interview. The buildings interior has such a big brother vibe to it and the administration and teachers gave me an almost cult-like impression. Seems like LECOM is more focused on the enterprise of making themselves the biggest medical school than about the futures of their students.

If LECOM had no dress code, no food/drink ban, and had recorded lectures for its LDP curriculum, people would be fighting to get in.

I doubt it. Many applicants are more concerned about the last two years of medical school more than the first two, and rightfully so. With good work ethic you can be successful on Step 1 at pretty much anywhere. LECOM's rotation sites are pretty sad and apparently setting up 4th year rotations is a nightmare.

I thought the same things. And, living in Erie, no thanks.

Also, I just wanted to add that PBL at LECOM doesn't make use of the cadaver lab.

I was excited to be accepted, but as soon as I got another offer, I jumped ship.

I applied to both LECOMs and never heard a word from them. Well, after reading things on "we hate LECOM" website, I'm glad they never invited me to interview and didn't waste my time and money on LECOMs.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank God I was wait listed at Lecom. I didn't want it to be the only med school that accepted me.

Reactions: 1 users

Did you go to LECOM-B's interview? Because you described exactly how I felt. It just didn't feel like a caring environment. More like a "here are the books and bare minimum of campus, good luck!". I understand people justify the PBL with higher board scores and whatnot, but going exclusive PBL didn't do it for me either. I also asked about the faculty and was basically told that its pretty much just up to us. So they get to sit there for ~2 hours and casually listen whenever they feel like it? I also agree that looking through volumes of medical books seems tedious and probably adds on to the amount of hours needed to study.

Also hate the defense for the dress code even after class for the library. A lot of physicians tend to wear scrubs and don't need the school to remind them of when it is appropriate to dress nice. Also, one of our tour guides was blunt and said only reason she was here was because it was the only place that accepted her.

Got an acceptance but I couldn't wait to say no and jump ship. Disliked everything about the school, but hey it gives people the opportunity to be a physician.

Reactions: 3 users

Can you point on the doll to where LECOM touched you?
trolls-doll-red-hair.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I got an interview at SH, but was rejected at Bradenton. I was kind of bummed, as LECOM-B was my #3 at the time. I gave them a call and asked if they could tell me what they didn't like about my application. I have a 3.5/3.5/27 and was told that my numbers "Simply aren't competitive enough". I gave a little chuckle as I had just finished scheduling NSU's interview (my 7th). All that aside, I would have loved living in the Bradenton area, but you can't win them all. I have my doubts that PBL was for me anyway. I still would have loved to see the school in person.

But I have spoken with a few faculty (n=3)at various schools that advise students to avoid anything LECOM like the plague. When I asked them why they gave me some good reasons, but I thought (and still think) they were being a little dramatic.

Did you go to LECOM-B's interview? Because you described exactly how I felt. It just didn't feel like a caring environment. More like a "here are the books and bare minimum of campus, good luck!". I understand people justify the PBL with higher board scores and whatnot, but going exclusive PBL didn't do it for me either. I also asked about the faculty and was basically told that its pretty much just up to us. So they get to sit there for ~2 hours and casually listen whenever they feel like it? I also agree that looking through volumes of medical books seems tedious and probably adds on to the amount of hours needed to study.

Also hate the defense for the dress code even after class for the library. A lot of physicians tend to wear scrubs and don't need the school to remind them of when it is appropriate to dress nice. Also, one of our tour guides was blunt and said only reason she was here was because it was the only place that accepted her.

Got an acceptance but I couldn't wait to say no and jump ship. Disliked everything about the school, but hey it gives people the opportunity to be a physician.
It was LECOM-B indeed. I also got an interview at the Erie campus but i withdrew from that fast

if my aunt had a penis, she'd be my uncle. those are some mighty big "ifs". even then, i don't know about people storming the castle even with those changes. again, a lot of the problems I encountered was in the overcontrolling nature of the administration and their refusal to treat med students like adults. but some people go there and don't feel that at all. for those people, I'm sure LECOM is a great fit. maybe the country needs schools like LECOM to cater to those personality types who need that rigid structure and strict enforcement of unnecessary rules but I, for one, find it cumbersome and overbearing. that's my $0.02

You made the right choice with WesternU then, even though their library also isn't that great unless they changed it recently.

I suppose you can say I was bashing LECOM in the same sense that you could say the press bashed Hitler, and there were those then who also didn't like that.

Yes. Perfect analogy and great response! You sir are a scholar and a gentleman!

Reactions: 1 users
I suppose you can say I was bashing LECOM in the same sense that you could say the press bashed Hitler, and there were those then who also didn't like that.

“I have often misunderstood men grossly, and I have misrepresented them when I understood them, sacrificing sense to make a phrase. Here, of course, is where even the most conscientious critic often goes aground; he is apt to be an artist before he is a scientist, and the impulse to create something passionately is stronger in him than the impulse to state something accurately.”
H.L. Mencken

I've heard from lecom Erie students that their rotations are pretty garbage.

The kids from lecom Brandon I've met seemed pretty smart and they all had good comlex scores.

I've heard from lecom Erie students that their rotations are pretty garbage.

The kids from lecom Brandon I've met seemed pretty smart and they all had good comlex scores.
WOW. I had GREAT rotations when I was there. There were a few duds of course but for the most part I had a great time and got the variety I wanted.

I'm not sure whether any of this banter has proved anything. And to think I have an ii soon..:confused:

A lot of the issues that have been brought up against LECOM have been countered very well. I interviewed at LECOM-B and looking back now, the things that bothered me really weren't important whatsoever. Dissecting sucks and you definitely don't learn anything by doing it. If anything, it's an experience that a lot of people go through and share. As far as whether I would have preferred to stay a few hours cutting or actually learn something from a prosected cadaver, well, that's a no-brainer. The dress code really is helpful if anything. Some people don't realize that we are in a professional setting and having something like a uniform or dress code would go a long way into changing daily interactions with my colleagues for the better. The library is a really dumb complaint. Most libraries are going digital. I think a more valid complaint would be to say that there aren't enough study rooms or quiet areas since this is more relevant and can be apart from a library, but from my understanding LECOM-B wasn't that type of school. It felt more to me like a commuter school and I wasn't expecting it to have a great library. The facilities that I did see seemed pretty great, but that was only one day that I was there. Lastly, TBL/PBL or whatever you call it is really a great idea. Lectures are great in a sense but I quickly realized that you are mostly teaching yourself. You become an expert at learning how to scour the web for relevant info and find the resources that will help you learn. To try to discredit a school for having the foresight to understand this and maximize education is ignorant. I can't say whether or not the administration is a mess or not but TBL in and of itself is not indicative of that. I'm sure that students there receive a great education and do well afterwards.

Please excuse typos or grammar mistakes.... busy studying for something or other

A lot of the issues that have been brought up against LECOM have been countered very well. I interviewed at LECOM-B and looking back now, the things that bothered me really weren't important whatsoever. Dissecting sucks and you definitely don't learn anything by doing it. If anything, it's an experience that a lot of people go through and share. As far as whether I would have preferred to stay a few hours cutting or actually learn something from a prosected cadaver, well, that's a no-brainer. The dress code really is helpful if anything. Some people don't realize that we are in a professional setting and having something like a uniform or dress code would go a long way into changing daily interactions with my colleagues for the better. The library is a really dumb complaint. Most libraries are going digital. I think a more valid complaint would be to say that there aren't enough study rooms or quiet areas since this is more relevant and can be apart from a library, but from my understanding LECOM-B wasn't that type of school. It felt more to me like a commuter school and I wasn't expecting it to have a great library. The facilities that I did see seemed pretty great, but that was only one day that I was there. Lastly, TBL/PBL or whatever you call it is really a great idea. Lectures are great in a sense but I quickly realized that you are mostly teaching yourself. You become an expert at learning how to scour the web for relevant info and find the resources that will help you learn. To try to discredit a school for having the foresight to understand this and maximize education is ignorant. I can't say whether or not the administration is a mess or not but TBL in and of itself is not indicative of that. I'm sure that students there receive a great education and do well afterwards.

Please excuse typos or grammar mistakes.... busy studying for something or other

This x 100. So true. A lot of these things discouraged me from applying to LECOM but now I realize they were just silly. Dissecting is 100% a waste of time. Prosection is infinitely better. Lectures are nice, but you'll be teaching yourself 99% of the time.

prosection >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dissection

dissection is ****ing terrible. my anatomy lab had ~30+ prosected bodies in the lab at any given point plus other bucket specimens. bodies were rotated in and out depending on which system we were on.

as a pre-med, i can understand the appeal in dissecting...but when you can pop in and out of lab in 60 minutes and see 30+ expertly dissected bodies, you will praise the inventors of prosection labs.

seriously. i cannot believe medical schools still do dissecting anatomy labs. you spend all day cutting through fat, and considering that the medical students who are cutting are probably novice dissectors, the risk of cutting intricate structures is HUGE!

i absolutely loved anatomy. i do not think i would have liked it as much had i needed to spend monotonous amounts of time cutting through fat.

There's no counter to any of the arguments or issues. These are all opinions, just like those of us who had an opinion and also interviewed. Me and some of the fellow posters just wrote our experience and I even said in the end that the school gives you the opportunity to become a physician. I disagree with you, but as the saying goes, we can agree to disagree.

The only thing that I can't wrap my head around is if the school isn't nearly as bad as you say, then why is there any hate to begin with? Most of the other DO schools don't receive as much widespread negative opinions.

There's no counter to any of the arguments or issues. These are all opinions, just like those of us who had an opinion and also interviewed. Me and some of the fellow posters just wrote our experience and I even said in the end that the school gives you the opportunity to become a physician. I disagree with you, but as the saying goes, we can agree to disagree.

The only thing that I can't wrap my head around is if the school isn't nearly as bad as you say, then why is there any hate to begin with? Most of the other DO schools don't receive as much widespread negative opinions.

The difference is we're coming back as medical students and letting other PRE-MEDS know that many of the aforementioned issues are non factors. You will be teaching yourself the majority of the time - at any of the school you're going to. Get used to dressing professional - it makes the patient more comfortable which makes them divulge more pertinent information (tons of research on this). And I can't wait to hear back from the guy who thinks prosection labs are robbing him of the experience of dissecting a cadaver after his first semester is over.

The difference is we're coming back as medical students and letting other PRE-MEDS know that many of the aforementioned issues are non factors. You will be teaching yourself the majority of the time - at any of the school you're going to. Get used to dressing professional - it makes the patient more comfortable which makes them divulge more pertinent information (tons of research on this). And I can't wait to hear back from the guy who thinks prosection labs are robbing him of the experience of dissecting a cadaver after his first semester is over.

Interview is a big deal and if you're not vibing the school (which should reflext the school in a very positive manner) then it's a safe bet people aren't feeling it. I went on other interviews where I was much more at ease and enjoyed the curriculum that they offered. Also the students at other schools were much more positive than what I encountered at LECOM as they talked to us.

No where did any of us premeds say we wanted easier work or would not be studying on our own. I even got accepted so I hold no ill will against the school. Also I didn't say his opinion isn't valid and should hold more weight, but it isn't facts. I will get used to dressing up with patients, but I don't feel like being uncomfortable in a library and without food.

Alright... Who are the 6 who thumbed up?... CabinBuilder, was that you?? :shifty::shifty::shifty:

I'm glad that there are a variety of opinions for others to read about. I'm always skeptical when the reviews for anything all say the same thing. I also didn't mean to imply that what I was writing was factual rather than from my personal experiences. I was just stating that the arguments were being counter-argued, whether they were countered with facts or experiences was not something I qualified.

I think that LECOM receives a lot of attention because of what they're doing. I don't think that many schools have their same curriculum with the lowest tuition and the highest COMLEX scores. People are always going to hate when you have things like that. I wouldn't look to much into this or turn it into something it's not.

Your point about that "gut" feeling, at least in my opinion, is pretty spot on. If a school doesn't make you feel all giddy when you go there then I would think twice-that's also another reason for 2nd looks. In all honesty though, HMS was probably one of the worst places I interviewed at, but had I gotten accepted I probably would've ended up there. So always keep your mind open.

Congrats on your acceptance btw. It's a great feeling knowing that you're going to be doc one day.

I'm glad that there are a variety of opinions for others to read about. I'm always skeptical when the reviews for anything all say the same thing. I also didn't mean to imply that what I was writing was factual rather than from my personal experiences. I was just stating that the arguments were being counter-argued, whether they were countered with facts or experiences was not something I qualified.

I think that LECOM receives a lot of attention because of what they're doing. I don't think that many schools have their same curriculum with the lowest tuition and the highest COMLEX scores. People are always going to hate when you have things like that. I wouldn't look to much into this or turn it into something it's not.

Your point about that "gut" feeling, at least in my opinion, is pretty spot on. If a school doesn't make you feel all giddy when you go there then I would think twice-that's also another reason for 2nd looks. In all honesty though, HMS was probably one of the worst places I interviewed at, but had I gotten accepted I probably would've ended up there. So always keep your mind open.

Congrats on your acceptance btw. It's a great feeling knowing that you're going to be doc one day.

Thank you and yeah its a bold experience and there are both MD and DO schools that are beginning to incorporate PBL so theres definitely something positive about it. Just not sure if going completely PBL was for me and they did make it abundantly clear that if you're not feeling the curriculum is for you then look elsewhere. Everything else just kinda pushed me over to the No, but it was #1 the curriculum for me. But some people liked it.

But COMLEX scores don't lie and getting a good Step 1 score will open a lot of doors no matter what school you go to.

I took an advanced undergrad dissection course. Glad I don't have to do it again because it sucks. The hours I spent cutting fat from that body was ridiculous.

Thank you and yeah its a bold experience and there are both MD and DO schools that are beginning to incorporate PBL so theres definitely something positive about it. Just not sure if going completely PBL was for me and they did make it abundantly clear that if you're not feeling the curriculum is for you then look elsewhere. Everything else just kinda pushed me over to the No, but it was #1 the curriculum for me. But some people liked it.

But COMLEX scores don't lie and getting a good Step 1 score will open a lot of doors no matter what school you go to.
My fiancee went to a school that had the PBL format. She thought it was terrible. In fact, the school has since done away with it.

She said she had to be part of a group of 8 - 9, but the way it was set up they all focused on different things. It left the individuals strong in some areas and weak in others. She also said that there was always one or two out of the group who would try to run the show (because you define learning objectives that you submit to be the basis for your tests). Sounded like a continuous group project like one would sometimes get in undergraduate. I didn't like how it sounded at all.

Agreed, did the same course and removing the fat and skin only taught me that I do not want to waste that many precious hours again where I could be learning something.

I took an advanced undergrad dissection course. Glad I don't have to do it again because it sucks. The hours I spent cutting fat from that body was ridiculous.

So this thread is back again... I see we once again have a bunch of premeds talking about how terrible it is to go to LECOM, and students/graduates who actually go there talking about what its really like there.

I might as well pitch in. I want to premise this by saying this is only in regards to LECOM Erie and Seton Hill. I know nothing about how Bradenton is/works etc, but I imagine it can't be that much different. That said, the clowns in the hallway that other people mentioned sounds pretty creepy.

As a premed, I thoroughly researched LECOM and one other school, because I thought it was very likely I'd end up at one of them (in all honest it was crazy easy to get info about LECOM in western PA, because there are tons of students/grads around here). I learned two things from the LECOM students/graduates that I know and met: 1) Most of the hate/criticism of LECOM was either unfounded or overblown and 2) the admins are a bit cold/overbearing.

At the interview, the students did seem particularly tired and out of it, but it turns out it was an exam day, and after being a med student, I actually understand what that means (because honestly, I didn't before, the stress level really isn't like it is with exams in undergrad courses). That said, the faculty/staff I interacted with were all friendly and both the LDP & PBL student ambassadors were friendly, happy to honestly answer questions (no faculty/staff was really around), and they were happy to be at LECOM (although the LDP students were noticeably more tired than the PBL students). All that said, you really don't get a good sense of what its like at a school from the interview, so my advice to all of you is take it with a grain of salt. In the end, I the most pluses (both personal and general), and it was right for me. No school is right for everyone, so be sure to make your own choice.

Now that I've actually been in medical school at LECOM, I feel I can talk from a bit of real experience. I really like LECOM. I think the PBL curriculum is amazing, the faculty for the most part has been knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly any time I needed help, and I think the education is for the most part excellent (keep in mind I'm in PBL, so I'm referring to the non-small group parts, obviously I like the small-group stuff because I like PBL). I really don't care about the rules. I can live without eating/drinking on campus, and being in PBL I'm really not there for all that long. The dress code is really a non-issue, and like many people said, you get very used to wearing a shirt and tie to the point that you don't even notice it. I'd rather get used to it in school as opposed to when I'm thrown into an even more stressful, uncomfortable, and new experience that I'll have to adjust to (rotations). The admin is also very rigid. They have a certain way of doing things, and its not going to change any time soon. That said, the faculty/curriculum are relatively open to change and the school is relatively new, so if enough students really want something in the curriculum to change, there's actually a possibility of it changing.

The rotation sites have been better (before the loss of UPMC), but there are still some good sites and big ones like UH in Ohio. If I were to guess, I'd say that clinical sites at LECOM are probably around average for DO schools. Unfortunately, just like at many DO schools, clinical sites come and go, so its hard for anyone to be able to say for certain what will be available when they rotate and what won't. That really is more of an issue with DO school policies (most have no real established teaching hospital) than with LECOM in particular. There are some good rotations and not so good rotations, but what I've heard from most attendings is that what makes a rotation good or bad usually has to do with 2 things, who your preceptor is and what you put into it. Unfortunately, you have almost no control over one of those, so it can be unpredictable (or so I hear).

The not so good: Back to the rules and admin. The way they do things is as I said a bit rigid, eccentric and at times cold. That said, as long as you keep your head down (i.e. don't fail a bunch of classes and don't show blatant disregard/disrespect for the rules, school, admins or staff) its little more than a mild annoyance. LECOM is a good school, with good professors, excellent board scores and pass rates, and I don't regret coming here at all.

There are always pros and cons with every school, especially med schools. From all the docs I've met, know, and have in my immediate family, they've all had complaints about their schools. I don't think LECOM is any worse than those. That said, it is a big school, and its making waves by offering a full PBL curriculum, growing into branch campuses, and doing it all while expanding training sites and keeping tuition ~$15k per year less than most other DO schools. Quite frankly, that doesn't make you friends. Plus, have you seen their commercials? I mean they really need to revamp the publicity a bit. I mean that guy is practically doing chest compressions on the patient's abdomen.

If you don't like the way the school works (i.e. the rules), the curriculum, or the region, its probably best not to come. If you don't mind them, are OK with them, or like them, then you should consider LECOM.

Now, as for "We Hate LECOM", it honestly seems a bit sad. The site mostly has comments from Pharm or Dentistry students (or ex-students), so I can't really comment on those parts. As for the med comments, 90% of them are either pointless (it happens at every school - oh the president/admins of a non-profit school/institution makes tons of money, no kidding, that's never happened before, its not like that happens at almost every school/big hospital system... welcome to the real world), outdated (oh, it had problems when it first opened and a bunch of students complained and left, in 1992, thats so relevant now, I mean its not like virtually everything about the school has changed in the past 20+ years that its been open), or just comments made by students insulting teachers (making fun of professors for being bald or having a beard, congratulations, you have the sense of humor of a 5 year old). As for the handful that are actually true/relevant, they are way overblown. I was honestly disappointed. There are definitely things that the school needs to change/improve. Rather than being a site to point out the flaws and discuss ways that they can change it, the moderators of that website made it a site for whining, entitled children. But, hey if it lets them vent their anger about being rejected or getting bad grades in med school, so be it.

LECOM SH is probably the most chill of all of the LECOMs. I don't know if its the slightly milder weather (although right now the whole region is frozen), the fact that its so new, its size, or being on an undergrad campus, but everyone seems very laid back and most of the people there seem pretty happy. Apparently, the first (and maybe even second) class had a rough time, but it seems like things have improved a lot and are great now. Plus its like 45 min from Pittsburgh. If you like PBL, can't stand constant snow, and are OK with walking up a hill from the parking lot I think its a great alternative.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Agreed, did the same course and removing the fat and skin only taught me that I do not want to waste that many precious hours again where I could be learning something.
I felt that way about every course I've taken during my undergrad, studying for the MCAT, and writing applications. I don't start school for another 4 months but id venture to guess there's a lot of material in there that I will feel is useless and counterproductive. But alas this is all life ;). We could be flipping burgers you know.

Don't even get me started on overcompensation of admins
Ohio State University President E. Gordon Gee’s discretionary spending from Oct. 1 2007 through June 30, 2012:
Travel: $1.09 million
Tailgating: $813,000
President’s special events: $2.17 million
President’s office: $1.6 million
Residence operation: $2.1 million
Grand Total: $7.77 million
Source: OSU records
This is on top of his nearly 1.9 million a year salary. I wasn't exactly sad to see him go even if he was a a cool guy.

Bump. Can anyone attest to Seton Hill campus specifically?

I've been getting a vibe from a lot of SDNers that LECOM is the bottom of the barrel of DO schools. Yeah, there's a dress code. But what gives with all the hate? :confused:

There is no real ranking of DO schools, its mostly older schools versus newer schools. LECOM is actually one of the better schools. I honestly thought the campus reminded me of the Cyberdyne building in Terminator 2. The school is very corporate and Erie is not exactly the nicest place in the world.

There was a film called the Road that was made in Erie, its kind of like a more realistic version of the Hunger Games, it starred Viggo Mortensen.

I came from cold and dreary Boston, and the idea of living in Erie just did not seem pleasant. I would still consider it a fairly solid school.

My thoughts about LECOM-B before my interview:

1. PBL sounds like a great fit for me since I learn best by reading on my own
2. Florida would be awesome because I am from New England
3. I know someone at the school
4. Cheap tuition

So my thoughts about LECOM-B after my interview:

1. PBL, the way they run it, was bunch of flipping through books rather than discussion as I imagined it to be. However, I do learn best on my own so this may work out.
2. Dress code is fine. No issues with it since I dress up everyday for work.
3. No water bottle at all? I asked the student hosts about this and they said walking to water fountain isn't a big deal. I still would like why they have this policy. I like drinking water
4. Florida is awesome and the area around Bradenton-Sarasota looks beautiful.
5. Board pass rate is very high.....thats great but their cirriculum is based on the COMLEX. They teach for the test so no surprise there. I would like to aim for 500+....not just pass so this statistic means nothing for me.
6. No research at the school. I was not a fan of that because the administrator literally said if you want to do research then find a different school.
7. Clinical rotations choice is based on GPA. Highest class grades get first pick at location which makes schools cut-throat in my opinion regardless of what they say. If there is an incentive attached then most students will want to try to be the best rather than work together as it is publicized in their PBL cirriculum.
8. I like using e-books. So the administrator tried to convince us at the interview that having 3-4 books in front of you is easier and better than using a tablet. My counterargument, which I did not convery, was if an individual can focus on 1 book at a time who cares if you have 1 or 5 books in front of you. Rolling around suitcases with books looked pretty lame.
9. White coat ceremony is in January...probably because the Deans that attend want to come down to Florida in January to take a vacation. Also, I think Erie and SH have them earlier.
10. Tuition is cheap, housing is cheap

So based on this would I go to LECOM-B if I was accepted: YES. Ultimately, the most important aspects of medical school for me are 1. doing well on boards, 2. cheap tuition, 3. being in a good environment where I can balance studying with relaxing (beaches, movies, bars, etc). Everything else comes afterward. However, If I get accepted to a different school then I would defintely pick that over LECOM-B.