Why they rejected me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bereno

Smoking Monkey
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, there were quite a few of you who were curious as to why I was rejected from my state school (UW). Instead of reply to every PM that I got, I will post here. This will also give others who were rejected a chance to help others out by posting their misfortunes.

Why I was rejected:

I stopped by the admissions office at the UWSOD, but nobody was there to help me. After sending out an email, and having it be passed around a little bit, I finally got a reply. Here is what it said:

"Hello Bereno. I understand that you are seeking some feedback from your interview at the UW School of Dentistry. Your overall application is very competitive, as reflected by the fact that you were chosen as one of only approximately 150 students we are interviewing out of the more than 1000 applications we received. In choosing a final 63 students from that 150, we end up having to choose based on very small differences among highly competitive applicants. I see from comments made by your interviewers that you may have been nervous in your interviews. There are also indications that your dental knowledge and understanding of the obligations of the profession to society may be less than other applicants we interviewed. I'm sorry that we did not have better news for you."

I guess it looks like I did not have enough "dental knowledge". I am not sure what this actually means... For those who are applying next year see if you can use this to best prepare for your interview. Secondly, I did not feel nervous during the interview at all, however it looks like I came across as though I was, and that's all that matters. I think this makes good advice of "just calm down, and be yourself". All said and done, I felt as though I rocked my interviews walking out of them, but this just goes to show that you never know.

Best of luck everyone! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, there were quite a few of you who were curious as to why I was rejected from my state school (UW). Instead of reply to every PM that I got, I will post here. This will also give others who were rejected a chance to help others out by posting their misfortunes.

Why I was rejected:

I stopped by the admissions office at the UWSOD, but nobody was there to help me. After sending out an email, and having it be passed around a little bit, I finally got a reply. Here is what it said:

"Hello Bereno. I understand that you are seeking some feedback from your interview at the UW School of Dentistry. Your overall application is very competitive, as reflected by the fact that you were chosen as one of only approximately 150 students we are interviewing out of the more than 1000 applications we received. In choosing a final 63 students from that 150, we end up having to choose based on very small differences among highly competitive applicants. I see from comments made by your interviewers that you may have been nervous in your interviews. There are also indications that your dental knowledge and understanding of the obligations of the profession to society may be less than other applicants we interviewed. I'm sorry that we did not have better news for you."

I guess it looks like I did not have enough "dental knowledge". I am not sure what this actually means... For those who are applying next year see if you can use this to best prepare for your interview. Secondly, I did not feel nervous during the interview at all, however it looks like I came across as though I was, and that's all that matters. I think this makes good advice of "just calm down, and be yourself". All said and done, I felt as though I rocked my interviews walking out of them, but this just goes to show that you never know.

Knowing you.. you rocked it! The more I see what happened in this cycle the more I realize d-school interviews are no different than first dates. You often imagine them going pretty good and there is no indication, during the process, that anything is wrong. Its only when the girl refuses to see you again and tells you that you were "subconsciously" projecting something else to her. Whatever that means lol.

I saw good riddance. What's meant to be will be!

Holy....

Thanks for sharing though bro. You just never know. I'm sure you weren't nervous per se. You beat everyone in UCONN OOS race. I'm sure your UW interview was no different. I really don't know what the AdCom saw in you nor what "dental knowledge" refers to. Seriously lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was really nice of them to give you this feedback.

I see from comments made by your interviewers that you may have been nervous in your interviews. There are also indications that your dental knowledge and understanding of the obligations of the profession to society may be less than other applicants we interviewed.

Unfortunately, we're all human and not all interviews go super well, even if you perceive them to have gone really well. Ultimately it's the interviewer's perception that matters. And no one else's. I'm sorry, Bereno. I hope this doesn't get you down. You sound like a great person--they're definitely missing out!

There's a lot to be learned from feedback like this, even though it's not very transparent. I'm also the type of person who asks what I can do to improve in the future if I'm rejected from a position I really wanted. So I totally understand why you asked. And thanks so much for sharing this with future applicants like me! :)

Last edited:

Why I was rejected:

Big applaud to the OP, it must been hard to elaborate on your experience but it really helps to shed light on the applicant as a whole. Thanks for sharing and good luck in your future.

I'm going to have to say being nervous means nothing at all. If anything it means you care more. Being nervous shows that its a life changing moment (whether or not you actually get accepted) or a $100,000+ moment (in case it's the difference between 2 schools).The moment of a dental interview is the culmination of all the tuition you've spent on your undergrad, all the volunteer hours, all the time at the library, etc. all in 10 minutes. So if these interviewers think that being nervous is a bad thing, I'd like to see them go drop $100k on a Las Vegas table with only one shot. But I'm just a pre-dent with no acceptances.

Last edited:
I see from comments made by your interviewers that you may have been nervous in your interviews. There are also indications that your dental knowledge and understanding of the obligations of the profession to society may be less than other applicants we interviewed.

Sounds like a bunch of bs to me lol

What in the world does being nervous have to do with anything? I was nervous during one of my interviews, heck my interviewer even asked me if I was and I said yes, and was accepted. I reject this response :laugh:

Omg, thanks for sharing! Best thread I've ever read by far

What in the world does being nervous have to do with anything? I was nervous during one of my interviews, heck my interviewer even asked me if I was and I said yes, and was accepted. I reject this response :laugh:

to think that schools might have different assessments of applicants would be crazy.

Please sticky this thread! Bravo, Bravo

Members don't see this ad :)
Bereno thanks for sharing man, UW is my state school and I will be looking to apply next year so this helps a bit. I actually saw your pre-dents profile and was going to PM you as to how you could have possibly been rejected? Your stats looked stellar and it seemed like you had a bunch of EC's to support your app, was there anything about your app, i.e. letters of rec, secondaries, ec's, that you think they didn't like? Or do you think it was just the interview? Like I said I'm just curious because I'll be applying to UW in June, if you don't feel comfortable answering no worries! Congrats on Uconn and good luck!

Wow. This thread took off fast! I won't quote everyone to save space, but I will try and respond:

wired202808: Thanks man. I like the date analogy - I find it all too appropriate haha :thumbup:

Demps: I don't know what they meant by the dental knowledge or social responsibilities part either. Hopefully someone with a better RC score and interpret that one :D

LaFleur: You are very right. It was very kind of them to reply! I am appreciative of it to say the least. I'm actually not that bummed about it... made my decision for UConn that much easier lol. Best of luck during your application cycle!! :thumbup:

Canard: I'm glad you find it helpful :thumbup:

r2thekesh: I'm not sure the nervousness was the deciding factor for them... Maybe it was, but I'm not sure. I think it was the "dental knowledge" comment that did me in lol

AwesomeTeeth: Might be. Who knows. Hopefully someone finds it useful

timwatley: sarcasm? Cant tell if serious... Its far from a sticky unless a bunch of other people can get some feedback for their adcoms and post their responses as well :thumbup:

RSalha17: Thats the reason I made this thread - I got inundated with PMs about it. I'm totally open about it, so ask away if you have questions! I'm pretty sure it was my interview. There is no red flag in my application, and i have solid stats... Even then, I got an interview, so they were already willing to accept me as long as the interview went well... and I guess it didnt haha :rolleyes: Good luck with your application as well! :luck:

Definitely sarcasm. Thinking about making my 'why they put me on hold' thread. Because I know everyone knows what school I'm talking about and because I know it's everyone's business! Cheers!

Why I was rejected:

These are the silliest arguments I have heard about someone being rejected. But I am sure those 150 applicants who were interviewed had solid stats too. How do you choose 63 people out of 150 top applicants. I don't want to be their shoes lol
All I can say though is misfortune on their part and good for UConn.

Definitely sarcasm. Thinking about making my 'why they put me on hold' thread. Because I know everyone knows what school I'm talking about and because I know it's everyone's business! Cheers!

lol, why the negativity? I got about 20 PMs about it, so I thought I might share the info here rather than reply to them all. Even then, I think it might be helpful to try and share a little bit about my misfortune for those who are applying next year. +1 for trying to help out :cool:

Dude. Bereno is a SDN celebrity lol. Just like in the real world, every celebrity has haters :).

Well, it's unfortunate that you didn't get into UW. But at least UCONN offers in-state after 1st year, so cheers to that. Imagine choosing between NYU, Case and Nova. Three schools with crazy high price tags, which don't even give you any leverage towards specialization like the Ivys do.

These interviews are so subjective it's scary sometimes. The interviewer might have been dumped by a guy that looked like you, and their perception towards you was biased from the beginning.

Oh lord, this thread downhill fast haha. :laugh:

I think I will keep it at this: If you find out any info on why you were rejected by a school, please post it here so we can try and learn from our mistakes. :cool:

Why I was rejected:

perhaps.... the reason your trying to get into their dental school is so that you IMPROVE your dental knowledge..... I dunno, just seems like a good response.

Sorry to see you go through that... I bet, all the people rejected got the same exact response

Great thread. It makes you realize how important interviews are at some schools. If I could apply again, I would definitely apply to more schools because acceptances are very unpredictable and depend a lot on interview performance.

Last edited:
Bereno, I've been lurking around this site since the 1st and I've noticed your posts. I currently attend UW and that's why I'm responding. First off, you might want to be careful about what you post here because you never know how it might come back to haunt you. Think about it, how hard would it be to figure out this person. 1)White 2)Male 3)Pre-dental student at UW who applied with a 3.95 majoring in Finance 4) Got Rejected from UW 5) 24 Years old 6) Got into UConn 7) And lastly they could just follow your posts to find out who you were. It wouldn't be too hard to figure out who you were if UW wanted to based upon your posts here about them ever since you didn't get in. You never know if you might need them or someone in the future, so don't burn bridges.

Secondly, you come off as sort of a whiney little guy. You have this attitude of "Oh, I got a 21 on my DAT and a good GPA so EVERYONE should just accept me without hesitation!" I'm glad that you worked hard for your stats and got into dental school, but there really is more to life than just numbers and stats. Maybe you should just accept their advice and move on. So you didn't get the school you wanted, so you make multiple posts and even a thread on it? So then you proceed to email them about why you didn't get in (Which is completely fine) and then you post the email here, while mocking them? Wow, maybe you didn't get in because you come off as arrogant as well. Ever think of that? Like I said, there is more to this than just numbers. You can take this rejection from UW and LEARN from it or not. You can even take my advice and LEARN from it, but I obviously can tell that taking advice from people isn't your strong suit. Grow up, champ.

Enjoy UConn!

Bereno, I've been lurking around this site since the 1st and I've noticed your posts. I currently attend UW and that's why I'm responding. First off, you might want to be careful about what you post here because you never know how it might come back to haunt you. Think about it, how hard would it be to figure out this person. 1)White 2)Male 3)Pre-dental student at UW who applied with a 3.95 majoring in Finance 4) Got Rejected from UW 5) 24 Years old 6) Got into UConn 7) And lastly they could just follow your posts to find out who you were. It wouldn't be too hard to figure out who you were if UW wanted to based upon your posts here about them ever since you didn't get in. You never know if you might need them or someone in the future, so don't burn bridges.

Secondly, you come off as sort of a whiney little guy. You have this attitude of "Oh, I got a 21 on my DAT and a good GPA so EVERYONE should just accept me without hesitation!" I'm glad that you worked hard for your stats and got into dental school, but there really is more to life than just numbers and stats. Maybe you should just accept their advice and move on. So you didn't get the school you wanted, so you make multiple posts and even a thread on it? So then you proceed to email them about why you didn't get in (Which is completely fine) and then you post the email here, while mocking them? Wow, maybe you didn't get in because you come off as arrogant as well. Ever think of that? Like I said, there is more to this than just numbers. You can take this rejection from UW and LEARN from it or not. You can even take my advice and LEARN from it, but I obviously can tell that taking advice from people isn't your strong suit. Grow up, champ.

Enjoy UConn!

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it. I am very sorry that it seems like I am mocking the UW, or even that I am whining. It is far from what I am trying to do. Once again, I made this thread to answer a lot of people's questions about why I did not get in. In no way am I discrediting the UW. It is a wonderful school, and I would have very much have loved to have gone. They obviously have a certain criteria for what they want in a student, and I did not have them. Not everyone knows these criteria, hence this thread. Yes, I highlighted the reason for my rejection. I am not entirely sure what it means, but that is the response they gave me. To be honest, it was very kind of them to even respond, as LaFleur noted. Yes, I thought I was a shoe in, and I was humbled. Yes, I asked the admissions office what i could have done better, because I do try and use constructive feedback.

Please understand that I did not expect to get in everywhere. Far from it. I simply thought that out of all the schools I applied to, I was most likely to get into the UW, and least likely to get into UConn; hence the confusion on why the opposite happened. Once again, this thread is not me whining, but is aimed at those who might want to learn what they can about why someone can get rejected. This is aimed at helping others.

I hope I cleared that up, and once again, thank you for the reply! :thumbup:

Think about it, how hard would it be to figure out this person.

Umm, the same could be said of any person who fills out even 60% of the fields on predents, ie. undergrad attended, interview dates, and AA, TS, PAT. The rest doesn't even have to be known, and 9 times out of 10 I'm sure adcoms can pinpoint which profile, whether on predents or SDN, belongs to which applicant.

Besides, I don't think Bereno has anything to hide really. He's probably been the most helpful poster on these forums this cycle...so if anything, assuming some UW faculty ends up lurking on SDN 4, maybe 5 years from now tracking down his posts (yeah, a very likely scenario), I don't think they'd find anything "incriminating," Anyone would be bitter about a rejection from their first choice. I would hesitate to describe the tone of his op as arrogant.

Last edited:
Sometimes you just have to take a bad beat. It doesn't mean you did anything wrong and sometimes there is just nothing to learn (not that you shouldn't always try). Best you can do is deal with it without overreacting and move on. You seem to be doing that very well. GL in the future.

Enjoy UConn!

I think you are the one who came off as arrogant. In my opinion you did not really represent your school very well with your post. Bereno just submitted what he was told from the school, others took the info and seemed to mock it (he just stated according to the school he did not have enough dental knowledge and that he did not understand what that means). I think it was kind of him to give this info out to help others who interview there in the future. Finally, the true test is his response to your immature post, as opposed to arguing with you he simply said sorry (maybe you could learn something from him).

Good luck at UConn Bereno! Time flies so enjoy it while you can!

Enjoy UConn!

+1

You really are making your rejection come off as 'one of the biggest mysteries of the past decade'. Tons of people get rejected everyday and are mature enough not to post the rejection letter from the school. The fact that you did it with the title 'why THEY rejected me' reaks drama. You got into UCONN, sorry UW didn't want you but you're going about it the wrong way.

Bereno is one of the most helpful posters on here. He is always respectful to others and (as evidenced by this post) is more than willing to help out his competition.

In short, if they really do know his identity, it would only help him more, not less.

Why I was rejected:

If this is the reason they rejected you, then its the DUMBEST excuse ive ever heard. Why would ANY school reject someone because they were nervous? LMAO?

Wow. I was not expecting to have such mixed opinions about this thread! :( Chill out people, life is far too short to get all riled up :thumbup:

Once again, the whole point of this thread is to give those who are applying in the future some info on why someone can get rejected. I'm trying to help out lol

Please note: I am not complaining about being rejected! This is not intended to be a pity party for me. A lot of people who are even more qualified have also been rejected. I feel honored to have simply gotten an interview. :) Furthermore, I have an acceptance of which I am beyond grateful for. I have been blessed with the opportunity to attend a dental school! I am not treating this as a great mystery, but rather answering many other people's questions about it. In hindsight, the title of the thread is probably a little unfortunate. Anyone know how to edit it?

If anyone else on the forum has any info on why they were rejected, please post here! It could really help out future applicants :thumbup:

If this is the reason they rejected you, then its the DUMBEST excuse ive ever heard. Why would ANY school reject someone because they were nervous? LMAO?

Once again, I don't think the nervous part was the reason. I think it must have been with the "dental knowledge" aspect. As it has been said many times already (lol) I don't really know what that statement means... However, it is clear that they were looking for a particular type of applicant, and I was not it. I guess this shows you never really know what to expect going into, and coming out of an interview lol

Good thread, I am not sure why people are coming at you as if you did something wrong. I am interested in hearing why an applicant is rejected from a dental school so I can prepare better for next year. If everyone posted when a school told them why they were rejected, that would be very valuable information.

Don't let the dental student from UW bother you, its likely its just an alter of someone else anyways since it would be strange for a dental student to follow pre-dent threads as much as it sounds like that poster does. You are a valuable poster to this site.

Thank you for the update; based on their feedback, it doesn't sound like anything I personally could've done anything about for my interview, as I imagine now I'm guilty of the same things you were claimed to have had.

I'm amazed they even cited being nervous, it'd be pretty abnormal to not be, and I highly doubt you were nervous to any sort of socially detrimental point, else it would've affected your other interviews as well. The other point is completely subjective... It is good to know that they're willing to share these details, even if they aren't completely transparent.

UW lost a great future dental student, congrats to UCONN and yourself. ;)

Enjoy UConn!

Woah. I don't see how you got all these assumptions from what he posted lol. I don't see how he was mocking the school? I don't see how he was whining either? He simply stated what UW said and that people should learn from this. I could see how some people may think he is narcissistic with his "why they rejected me post" but how in earth did you get that he was mocking UW or whining with this post lol.

Come on Bereno. You are too nice and mature always trying to be quell the situation. If this guy came after me like that I would say, "Good thing there wasn't a lot of inference and tone questions on the RC of the DAT."

Thank you for the update; based on their feedback, it doesn't sound like anything I personally could've done anything about for my interview, as I imagine now I'm guilty of the same things you were claimed to have had.

I'm amazed they even cited being nervous, it'd be pretty abnormal to not be, and I highly doubt you were nervous to any sort of socially detrimental point, else it would've affected your other interviews as well. The other point is completely subjective... It is good to know that they're willing to share these details, even if they aren't completely transparent.

UW lost a great future dental student, congrats to UCONN and yourself. ;)

Good luck! I hope you get in :thumbup:

Woah. I don't see how you got all these assumptions from what he posted lol. I don't see how he was mocking the school? I don't see how he was whining either? He simply stated what UW said and that people should learn from this. I could see how some people may think he is narcissistic with his "why they rejected me post" but how in earth did you get that he was mocking UW or whining with this post lol.

Come on Bereno. You are too nice and mature always trying to be quell the situation. If this guy came after me like that I would say, "Good thing there wasn't a lot of inference and tone questions on the RC of the DAT."

Lol! Thanks man. However, I'm a pretty chill guy - takes a lot to get me worked up. Even then, arguing on the internet is pretty damn useless. Whats that old saying? Arguing on the internet is like running the Special Olympics... :D

dental knowledge?

i wonder what they mean by this? you aren't in dental school yet..how much do they expect you to know?

Sorry to hear about that Bereno. It always baffles me when they expect applicants to have "dental knowledge". Isn't that what dental school is for? Anyways, seems as though you got into some very good schools... so in the end, it's UW that is missing out on a great applicant. Good luck man!

Sorry to hear about that Bereno. It always baffles me when they expect applicants to have "dental knowledge". Isn't that what dental school is for? Anyways, seems as though you got into some very good schools... so in the end, it's UW that is missing out on a great applicant. Good luck man!

Nobody else wants to share why they were rejected? lol, I guess it does not surprise me that nobody would want to share that kind of info... Just know that if you do share, it could help a future applicant! :cool:

Damn Bereno, you're my hero - humble and smart! As my homie 50 cent once said, "Let the haters hate and watch the money pile up".

Nobody else wants to share why they were rejected? lol, I guess it does not surprise me that nobody would want to share that kind of info... Just know that if you do share, it could help a future applicant! :cool:

I was rejected from Michigan, my state school. I emailed them because I was very confused about why. Even though I thought my interviews went quite well, she said it was because of the interview but wouldn't go into any further detail. I just thought I'd share this because I guess schools put a lot more emphasis on the interview than I would have thought.

I was rejected from Michigan, my state school. I emailed them because I was very confused about why. Even though I thought my interviews went quite well, she said it was because of the interview but wouldn't go into any further detail. I just thought I'd share this because I guess schools put a lot more emphasis on the interview than I would have thought.

yup this info is on bing12's AADSAS survey link. Once you are granted the interview, it matters more than your sGPA. I agree that the interview should weight more than your grades at that point. Everyone is ranked differently before the interview (based on stats) but then at the interview, the people that shine should be granted admission.