Why, Tufts...why?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeisgood

the original
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a little peeved right now, partly at myself for not reading Tufts' website more thoroughly and partly at Tufts for having such a ******ed policy.

I went to a CC before transferring to a four year (for financial reasons) and now I come to find out that they do not accept ANY CC prereqs. I have taken some upper division courses that would cover the prereqs taken at the CC but they told me I would have to go back to a 4 year and take English and Physics again!

I realize the policy is probably to prevent students at 4 year institutions from taking the prereqs at CC's (because Tufts assumes they are easier at CC's???), but I do not think it is fair to penalize those who did not have any control over the situation.

I did not withdraw my application even though a rejection based on the above is imminent. I am done venting, thank you for listening.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a little peeved right now, partly at myself for not reading Tufts' website more thoroughly and partly at Tufts for having such a retarted policy.

I went to a CC before transferring to a four year (for financial reasons) and now I come to find out that they do not accept ANY CC prereqs. I have taken some upper division courses that would cover the prereqs taken at the CC but they told me I would have to go back to a 4 year and take English and Physics again!

I realize the policy is probably to prevent students at 4 year institutions from taking the prereqs at CC's (because Tufts assumes they are easier at CC's???), but I do not think it is fair to penalize those who did not have any control over the situation.

I did not withdraw my application even though a rejection based on the above is imminent. I am done venting, thank you for listening.

Dont stress dude, you'll get plenty of acceptances with your stats. Every schools got something they nit pick about. If they dont want you, consider it their loss cause we've chatted for a while and I know your a well qualified applicant.. Also, its not guaranteed that you'll be rejected, you might still get a conditional acceptance.. Or you can beat them to the punch and write them a rejection letter, rejecting their rejection... lol...

Or you can beat them to the punch and write them a rejection letter, rejecting their rejection... lol...

That's not a bad idea. :smuggrin: Thanks for the encouragement, btw. How's everything going with you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear the final word. You'll just have to go to Haavaad instead.

Or maybe Tufts is trying to be "tough"? who knows... i didn't read it clearly too bro...oh well, i waste my fee on them too

That's not a bad idea. :smuggrin: Thanks for the encouragement, btw. How's everything going with you?

too bad to hear that. Boston is a great town to live in during your mid-twenties.

good luck w/ your other applications.

Can you explain to me why you would even think of withdrawing? Even if you were positive you will be rejected, why do you feel the need to withdraw? is it really just to avoid the rejection? Maybe theres something im missing?

do schools share rejection information or something?

Can you explain to me why you would even think of withdrawing? Even if you were positive you will be rejected, why do you feel the need to withdraw? is it really just to avoid the rejection? Maybe theres something im missing?

do schools share rejection information or something?

I PM'd 4thqtr, but I thought I would share anyways.

I am not afraid of rejection. It simply says on their website "No CC courses will be accepted." So I called and found out that since I took upper division (or advanced) classes in bio, chem, and ochem at a 4 year those prereqs would count even though I took them at a CC. But in order for me to be eligible for matriculation at Tufts I would have to take upper division physics and english even though I have taken 3 semesters of physics and 2 of english.

I was considering withdrawing to save the adcoms time and a possible interview spot (if I even received one) based on the premise that there is no way I am going to spend another quarter's tuition to fulfill these requirements just for the possibility of entrance into one school.

I read a post where someone actually got to the interview and was told that they were not eligible at the interview. I also wanted to avoid this scenario.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

yeah, make sense especially since you'd have to fly out, spend money.. ect.

My friend who applied last year was invited to NYU just to be told that they require an american bachelor degree.. it wasnt a big deal since she's in NY but i see you're point..

Perhaps you could wait for an invite and if you get one, speak to the dean of admission about your chances prior to making arrangements..

Good luck the rest of the way through
Your stats are awesome, its ridiculous that you havent received interviews to all schools by now...

you havn't heard anything from the schools? that just sounds awkward. I think you maybe should call up all the schools you applied to and see if any are hung up over the CC pre-req's. If there are several, you may not be retaking those classes just for one school anymore.

you havn't heard anything from the schools? that just sounds awkward. I think you maybe should call up all the schools you applied to and see if any are hung up over the CC pre-req's. If there are several, you may not be retaking those classes just for one school anymore.
This is actually really good advice, Lifey. It's sad, however, that your most excellent DATs don't validate your most excellent gpa -- CC earned or not. Not that it's late in the process yet, but it might be a good idea to find out where all your schools stand.

This is actually really good advice, Lifey. It's sad, however, that your most excellent DATs don't validate your most excellent gpa -- CC earned or not. Not that it's late in the process yet, but it might be a good idea to find out where all your schools stand.

I have called a few schools already and I think the important ones are fine with it, they just interview late. UCSF and UCLA have only had my secondaries for about 2 weeks so I guess I shouldn't be too worried about them yet. Anyway, if I hear any useful info I will be sure to post it.

P.S. The thought of retaking any of those classes make me want to :barf: