Why were the threads closed down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prateek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any explanation on why the premed101 threads were closed down?

Members don't see this ad.

Possible.. I don't really see any other possible reason?

I really hope PM101 is back online very very soon! It's a nice break from studying in between chapters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright... just to spike some interest here on an otherwise boring day. My verifier informed me that Calgary has contacted them via e-mail. Yes - it was a Top 10 activity. Of course, it means nothing (just like how UBC verifies randomly, I presume), but in lieu of finals and all , I think this is like ... semi-positive news. :)

Alright... just to spike some interest here on an otherwise boring day. My verifier informed me that Calgary has contacted them via e-mail. Yes - it was a Top 10 activity. Of course, it means nothing (just like how UBC verifies randomly, I presume), but in lieu of finals and all , I think this is like ... semi-positive news. :)

Were you Out of Province by any chance?

Wouldn't make sense if they were. Why would they check verifiers when they haven't even calculated AGPA yet, let alone determined the cutoffs? AB files have already been sent to review though, so I imagine that they've started checking verifiers for them.

Wouldn't make sense if they were. Why would they check verifiers when they haven't even calculated AGPA yet, let alone determined the cutoffs? AB files have already been sent to review though, so I imagine that they've started checking verifiers for them.

That's what I was trying to figure out. Perhaps they already calculated it all and just haven't put it up for us yet

We are currently working through the new calculations of GPA, and hope to have the non-Albertan GPA’s and VR’s calculated such that we can get the files to the reviewers in the next 3 or so weeks.

Just about 3 weeks now

Any idea when PM101will be back up guys!?

Winter break is approaching, and it's time to look at schools/plan summer :)

Any idea when PM101will be back up guys!?

Winter break is approaching, and it's time to look at schools/plan summer :)

Ian came on here yesterday to say he'd just learned the site was down and was going to check with the webhost.. Hopefully it's really soon!

I've never looked forward that much to winter break :D

This is awful without premed101! Who knew my ability to procrastinate was so reliant on that site!!? Its as if I don't know how to waste time now...

Members don't see this ad :)

Lol this multiquote thing is awesome - wish premed101 had it.

And I'm out of province (Ontario). I find it extremely puzzling as well. Perhaps they did have their GPAs fixed already, but haven't put it up. The other reasoning is that they're just doing random screens - just how UBC does it. If I had to bet, I'm saying it's the latter. For the out of province category, my GPA and verbal MCAT are just average. I can't imagine me getting a file review, and if I do, I'd probably be 199th person out of 200 or something of the sort.

In any case, my chances at Calgary are low being OOP - so my strategy is to not really think about it as much as possible.

Lol this multiquote thing is awesome - wish premed101 had it.

And I'm out of province (Ontario). I find it extremely puzzling as well. Perhaps they did have their GPAs fixed already, but haven't put it up. The other reasoning is that they're just doing random screens - just how UBC does it. If I had to bet, I'm saying it's the latter. For the out of province category, my GPA and verbal MCAT are just average. I can't imagine me getting a file review, and if I do, I'd probably be 199th person out of 200 or something of the sort.

In any case, my chances at Calgary are low being OOP - so my strategy is to not really think about it as much as possible.

That's weird, I just checked the blog and it looks like they only checked verifiers post-interview last year. It must be random then- I can't imagine that they'd be giving file reviews to people without first determining that the GPA's are correct.

Another exam done (microbio this morning).. I thought it was pretty easy except maybe for 10-15 questions out of 100? Didn't waste too much time on those, not worth it in the end. Is there a cure for perfectionism? lol I wish I'd stop bashing my head because I changed an answer which of course turned out to be wrong ;) It doesn't even matter in the end since our grades (no pass/fail) don't count anyways although I do want to end up on the dean's honor roll at the end :D Biggest ones on Thursday.. still haven't gotten back to studying, maybe later tonight.

Is there a cure for perfectionism? lol I wish I'd stop bashing my head because I changed an answer which of course turned out to be wrong

Yes, there certainly is a cure.
Wait a couple of days, until the weekend.
Check your SDN inbox on Saturday.
Pick me up from your local airport.
Drinks on me :p
Will turn that frown upside down!

Heh. Heh. If only :D

Yes, there certainly is a cure.
Wait a couple of days, until the weekend.
Check your SDN inbox on Saturday.
Pick me up from your local airport.
Drinks on me :p
Will turn that frown upside down!

Heh. Heh. If only :D

Oh how I wish :D

That's weird, I just checked the blog and it looks like they only checked verifiers post-interview last year. It must be random then- I can't imagine that they'd be giving file reviews to people without first determining that the GPA's are correct.

Regarding Calgary verifier checks- Dr Walker specifically stated that they would not be checking verifiers until post-interview, didn't he?

Regarding Calgary verifier checks- Dr Walker specifically stated that they would not be checking verifiers until post-interview, didn't he?

Really? Maybe my verifier got the school wrong. In any case - he was verifying SOME SCHOOL out of UBC, Alberta, Calgary, Manitoba, UT, Western, Queens, Ottawa, McMaster, or McGill. :p

:luck:

They didn't check till post-interview last year, I don't think. He might've said it in the podcast. I can't remember. Regardless, it wouldn't make sense for them at this stage, since they have said that they have a skeleton staff in the admissions office, I can't imagine they'd waste their time and resources on that.

Really? Maybe my verifier got the school wrong. In any case - he was verifying SOME SCHOOL out of UBC, Alberta, Calgary, Manitoba, UT, Western, Queens, Ottawa, McMaster, or McGill. :p

:luck:

Pfffft not helpful :p And he must've got the school wrong. Maybe he meant Alberta. UWO and Mac don't check verifiers (Mac doesn't even require them), and I don't think I've heard of pre-interview checking at Queens or Ottawa. Can't comment on the other schools.

Also, it would be great if UofC could put those GPA's back up and determine the OOP cutoffs in the near future :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.