why why why

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdforlife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok i know this sounds stupid but every now and then i notice a gray hair, especially after i take a hard exam with bloody engineers in class who screw up the curve to a point where i feel like a *****.
:mad:
i mean, now i worried that after the MCATs my whole head will turn gray, and I am just a 22.

Members don't see this ad.

mdforlife said:
ok i know this sounds stupid but every now and then i notice a gray hair, especially after i take a hard exam with bloody engineers in class who screw up the curve to a point where i feel like a *****.
:mad:
i mean, now i worried that after the MCATs my whole head will turn gray, and I am just a 22.

yeah you'll be grey earlier than most people, it's better than balding.. but you might be balding too..

Medikit said:
yeah you'll be grey earlier than most people, it's better than balding.. but you might be balding too..
i am a female so maybe that's why i am not balding, but at this point i don't even want to know what i'll look like after the residency.
i mean, i volunteer in the ER in a very very busy public hospital, and i see many female residents. No offense to us, ladies, but all of them just look like s^&^t. All of them are prematurely aged. So I wonder after the residency, do they bounce back or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
mdforlife said:
i am a female so maybe that's why i am not balding, but at this point i don't even want to know what i'll look like after the residency.
i mean, i volunteer in the ER in a very very busy public hospital, and i see many female residents. No offense to us, ladies, but all of them just look like s^&^t. All of them are prematurely aged. So I wonder after the residency, do they bounce back or what?

Doubtful...but hey that’s what botox and plastic surgery is for!! :laugh:

i have lots of gray hair towards the front on my head. I'm only 21, noone in my family has had premature gray like this. I started to get one or two by the time i was 16, its not a big deal, its distinguishing

yeah watch those falling hairs. Going grey is nothing.

Just wait till you actually get in med school, it only gets worse, haha.

with more grey hair maybe people will think you are an attending and give you less scut work? :)

p.s. I was an engineer and I always thought that it was the pre-meds messing up the curve?

mdforlife said:

I think a lot of ladies end up dying their hair, done properly it should hide it really well if it gets worse than it is now.

mdforlife said:
especially after i take a hard exam with bloody engineers in class who screw up the curve to a point where i feel like a *****.

i usually hear the hardcore engineers telling us premed-engineers that we are screwing up the curve :laugh: not the other way around!

One of my friends (who is like 23) has a lot of grey hair too. She just leaves it alone though. I don't think she has the patience to die it every month :)

mdforlife said:

no. you don't have to look like death. at 50+ my mother has put on five pounds (just cracked 100lbs) since her 16th birthday and her deep auburn hair has simply faded to a lighter brown. my mom is an optho. when she took me to tour my undergrad institution, the tour guide asked if she was also planning to apply...

my aunt, an MD/PhD in peds onc is still going strong at 60+. when i lived with her six years ago she was still running 4mi/day.

moral of the story: eat well, exercise, follow your heart, and live your life like you love every moment. if you are happy, it will roll off you in waves and you will still look fabulous.

p.s. as for residents. what do you look like when you've had 12 hours of sleep in three days

scrappysurfer said:
no. you don't have to look like death. at 50+ my mother has put on five pounds (just cracked 100lbs) since her 16th birthday and her deep auburn hair has simply faded to a lighter brown. my mom is an optho. when she took me to tour my undergrad institution, the tour guide asked if she was also planning to apply...

my aunt, an MD/PhD in peds onc is still going strong at 60+. when i lived with her six years ago she was still running 4mi/day.

moral of the story: eat well, exercise, follow your heart, and live your life like you love every moment. if you are happy, it will roll off you in waves and you will still look fabulous.

p.s. as for residents. what do you look like when you've had 12 hours of sleep in three days

great advice! :thumbup:

oh and I'm sure as such a resident i'll look the same as i do now during finals week :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
mdforlife said:

No after residency they become embittered, man eaters, who live by themselves and dwindled their looks during med school to find somebody. It's all downhill after residency for most females. But then again not all, there are exceptions. I hope you realize I am just kidding, but residency and sleepless nights are hard on the body and it seems logical that man and women will tend to age prematurely after such stress on the body and mind.

package2.gif

You can always dye gray hair. If hair starts falling out then that's a different story.

my greys all came during my post bac year. i mean they came fast!!! no turning back. i'm 29 so maybe i'm due. but the last time i went to get my hair cut and asked me if i wanted a rinse for my grey i was shocked. goodbye youth!!! :) at least i still feel like i'm 18.

Women experience early on-set balding too, that's what wigs are for! :D

Be happy if you have grey hair. I feel like my mop is slowly falling off. :(

Nothing is more depressing than watching your hair fall on the pages of your textbook while you read it.

oh man this thread is depressing :(

I have grey hair coming in my temporal areas :thumbdown: im only 23. And the other day when i was trimming, i noticed gray hairs on the bottom of my sac :(

Getting some gray hair and a few well-placed wrinkles makes you look distinguished. Oh wait, only if your a guy.

Man it sucks to be a girl.

Just kidding! Don't stress, it goes grey really slow.

And by the way, are you trying to kill this thread or what, Dr Nick? :thumbdown:

Graat said:
And by the way, are you trying to kill this thread or what, Dr Nick? :thumbdown:
hehehe lol. thats what my friends generally ask when i enter in their conversations. :D

OrthoFixation said:
Engineers Rock :cool:

Hell yeah. :love:

LOL to engineer orthos. I'd want MY ortho to have taken solid mechanics before he hammers an IM rod into my femur.

yeah I started noticing grey hairs when I was in high school, but the number is increasing really really slowly...although I did have a hairdresser comment that I'm young to have grey hair :p

but I cover my hair for religious reasons so nobody but me and my husband see my hair...and he doesn't mind the grey :) (plus I never have a bad hair day! :p)