Why won't they tell me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DecemberFirst

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called all three schools in TX today and they told me that I would have to wait till I get the acceptance/rejection letter in the mail :(

Members don't see this ad.

That's the way it is buddy! Lots of schools function that way, inculding my first choice, UNC.

At MOST schools, however, it means you were rejected.

I don't know about the TX schools though, and I know they often have their own ways of doing things.

I'd say 80% of schools who won't tell you the answer over the phone have rejected you. I found this to be true last year, as did many other SDNers.

Typically schools are VERY happy to tell you of your acceptance, but try to be more official about rejections.

Members don't see this ad :)
If other applicants have already been accepted and they tell YOU that you should wait for a letter, then you are in trouble.

However, if they have not told ANYONE over the phone, then you are still in good shape.

I dont see anybody posting about ANY TX schools, so dont worry!

nah.. I got the same answers from all 3 schools. They didn't even ask for my name... ... well we have to wait for the news on the mail then. UT-Houston won't send anything until Jan, They still have the interview today.

I didn't even bother calling. I kinda felt like Texas schools didn't want you to.

So, I'm gonna sit and wait, and check my mail everyday. I did a search and looked at the acceptance threads of the past, and people who got accepted to Texas schools didn't start posting their acceptances until like 12-03 or 12-04.

So all you Texans relax!! (easier said than done right!!)

critterbug ..... what is your stat ? just curious

Originally posted by ItsGavinC

I don't know about the TX schools though, and I know they often have their own ways of doing things.

I'd say 80% of schools who won't tell you the answer over the phone have rejected you. I found this to be true last year, as did many other SDNers.

Typically schools are VERY happy to tell you of your acceptance, but try to be more official about rejections.

Gavin, next time, please be considerate when you post something like this man. You gave me a heart attack dude. I had to recall them to make sure that they are not telling anyone (accepted or rejected) :mad:

Originally posted by DecemberFirst
Gavin, next time, please be considerate when you post something like this man. You gave me a heart attack dude. I had to recall them to make sure that they are not telling anyone (accepted or rejected) :mad:
I don't think Gavin was being inconsiderate at all; this is an informational forum, and that means occasionally asking questions and getting answers you don't like.

Hmm. Okay. Let's reread what I posted. I said it was MY experience and the experience of others, and I also said I had NO idea how Texas schools handled things.

I still stand by my post!

Let's use some logic here, folks. If you call a school and they don't even ask for your name, then obviously they have a policy against giving out the information over the phone.

Besides, perhaps you should have asked them if they were telling anybody when you FIRST called.

Originally posted by aphistis
I don't think Gavin was being inconsiderate at all; this is an informational forum, and that means occasionally asking questions and getting answers you don't like.

But don't you think that being ignorant about the situation does not put you in a situation to answer questions like that. The kind of questiion I asked was referring towards Texas applicants and in particular, applicants who were previosly admitted to TX dental schools.

Hmm. Okay. Let's reread what I posted. I said it was MY experience and the experience of others, and I also said I had NO idea how Texas schools handled things.

I still stand by my post!

Let's use some logic here, folks. If you call a school and they don't even ask for your name, then obviously they have a policy against giving out the information over the phone.

Besides, perhaps you should have asked them if they were telling anybody when you FIRST called.

NONO, you have misunderstood what I said. I am just saying that since other schools across the country are telling the students over the phone if they have been accepted or not, why doesn't TX do the same. I wasn't trying to slam you or anything dude, relax.

Originally posted by larryt
critterbug ..... what is your stat ? just curious

Ha ha ha,

Are u kidding? He won't! For some reason he is hiding
his Stats!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just in case anyone was wondering about Harvard's policy...I called them this morning and was told tha they don't give out information concerning acceptances over the phone or over email. About an hour later I got a call from the director of admissions telling me I had got in. So I guess Harvard falls in the 20% of schools that just doesn't tell you over the phone regardless of if you got in or not.

Add NYU and USC to that 20% list.

Originally posted by ShawnOne
If other applicants have already been accepted and they tell YOU that you should wait for a letter, then you are in trouble.

However, if they have not told ANYONE over the phone, then you are still in good shape.

I dont see anybody posting about ANY TX schools, so dont worry!

I think that is why BU told me that my file is still under review.:laugh:

Let BU reviews your file as long as they wish. That's not a good school. Class of 2006 has 15 students kicked out after the first year (for having more than 1D). Terrible. BU is competing with NYU in that regard now

Thanks for the encouragement and let me know the fact about BU. Thanks, tinker. I pm you.

Originally posted by ShawnOne
Add NYU and USC to that 20% list.

Last year several students called NYU and were told over the phone.

I suspect the # of students they grant acceptances to is probably why that has changed, if it indeed has.

Bummer, though.

NONO, you have misunderstood what I said. I am just saying that since other schools across the country are telling the students over the phone if they have been accepted or not, why doesn't TX do the same. I wasn't trying to slam you or anything dude, relax.

I fully understand. No hard feelings. You'll note that I did say in my original post: "I don't know about the TX schools though, and I know they often have their own ways of doing things."

I'm sure you'll get good mail from them soon!