Why would a grad student decide to take in an undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plsrecordlectures

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was just wondering what the reasoning is behind a grad student in a research lab deciding to take in and train an undergrad. I get it that he's acting like a mentor, but aren't I just slowing him down and taking time away from him? The few labs jobs I do can be done in a few minutes. I know I'm definitely benefiting from this relationship, but I want to know if I can do anything so he can get something worthwhile from it as well.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Teaching is a valuable skill that needs to be practiced

2) It’s an investment. If he can train you well then you can do the grunt work which, later on, will save him time. You can also earn your way to getting your foot in the door in terms of intellectual contribution.

Reactions: 3 users
If you're good you will increase their productivity and speed along their project.

Scientific training is basically an elaborate apprenticeship system. (Good) people will not mind training others because they understand that the system works because this is how anyone gets started, including, most likely, that very same grad student

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses so far. I'd also like to add that even though I just joined the lab, he's very interested in wanting me to do an independent project, if I was interested, so I technically wouldn't even be assisting his project. I was just confused how his perspective looked like.

Mentoring is very important in science, and many (not all) aspiring scientists are genuinely interested in improving their mentorship skills. Sounds like you've got a great mentor -- consider yourself lucky! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Also, - in ADDITION to what everyone else said, - it actually makes him look good. I mean it in the best possible way.
Most likely he just wants to teach other students things that he didnt know, and give them a chance. For example, i am mentoring 4 students through their pre-med career (they are all going to apply this upcoming cycle), because our school is a cheaper state school with no pre-med advisor, and i want the students from our school get the best possible shot at this.
Also - some people just really love teaching. I was LA for 3 semesters in Chemistry department, and i LOVED IT

Reactions: 1 users