Why XYZ question in Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-----MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am thinking through standard interview questions and would appreciate your thoughts regarding the "Why our school".

I applied to 28 schools. All of them are schools if accepted, I'd be thrilled to attend. But except for 2-3 schools, I want to go there because they are a solid school, in a good locations, and I have somewhat of a chance of getting in.

So what do I do when the interview will inevitably say "Why do you want to go here?" I can do what I did for secondaries, read up on their website, see what parts of their program speak to me, and incorporate them. But the most honest answer would be "you are a good medical school, in a decent location, and med students can't really afford to be picky these days"

I hate the "filler, bs answer" but these seem necessary in this case. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I am thinking through standard interview questions and would appreciate your thoughts regarding the "Why our school".

I applied to 28 schools. All of them are schools if accepted, I'd be thrilled to attend. But except for 2-3 schools, I want to go there because they are a solid school, in a good locations, and I have somewhat of a chance of getting in.

So what do I do when the interview will inevitably say "Why do you want to go here?" I can do what I did for secondaries, read up on their website, see what parts of their program speak to me, and incorporate them. But the most honest answer would be "you are a good medical school, in a decent location, and med students can't really afford to be picky these days"

Find a little tid bit for each school, and sorry, but you will need to BS this. I have a cheat sheet I created just for this.
I struggle too with the level of exaggerated enthusiasm, but I am reminded that the interviews are a dog and pony show.
Schools are on best behavior and so are you. Just do it. Good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
"I'll take what I can get." :laugh:

Definitely BS-needed. Location and curriculum are the go-tos.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How would it look if you mentioned having stats comparable to the average matriculant as a reason for choosing the school? It is heavily encouraged on SDN that you have stats comparable to the average matriculant before applying, so would being honest about it (in addition to having other reasons) be looked down upon?

How would it look if you mentioned having stats comparable to the average matriculant as a reason for choosing the school? It is heavily encouraged on SDN that you have stats comparable to the average matriculant before applying, so would being honest about it (in addition to having other reasons) be looked down upon?
Well the fact you were given an interview already means you likely meet their stats so saying that adds nothing

If I were interviewing someone and asked why they were interested in my school, I don't think I would rate them very well if their best answer to "why this school" was "because my numbers are comparable to the mean". That's basically saying "I think I'm pretty average". I mean, it's fine in conjunction with other reasons... but you want an interviewer to remember you as an exceptional applicant and not an average one.

Well the fact you were given an interview already means you likely meet their stats so saying that adds nothing
Depends a bit on the school, though. Sometimes admissions will grant interviews to people with numbers the committee would categorically reject.

Depends a bit on the school, though. Sometimes admissions will grant interviews to people with numbers the committee would categorically reject.

Where did you get that information from? Why would a school waste time interviewing you if they were to just reject you after seeing the numbers for the second time? To me, you get the interview based on stats and what you have to say. You get the acceptance by showing you are altruistic, have an understanding of the profession, and are personable. Clarify a bit on this, please? :)

Furthermore, I especially challenge this when the person has been early interviewed.

Do early interviews mean schools are more interested in you

Hi All,

The trick I noticed worked for me is show that you are passionate and enthusiastic about going to their school. I would talk about elements of their program that I really like, as well as how their missions statement and goals of the school perfectly fit in with mine. I would use terms such as "I really want to go here because..." or "This school does a great job at..." this strategy apparently worked, as I gained acceptances from my top 2 schools, both of which I really wanted to go to. Please do not talk about location and being a good medical school or not being picky. You need to talk about how the school will be a good fit for you and how excited you would be to go there and enhance their class.

For the OP, if showing this enthusiasm and knowledge is difficult for 28 schools, try to rank them in order of your preference. Then you can focus on the ones you really wan to get into, and make sure you destroy that interview.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd say more commonly this is the case than not.
Comments? @Goro @gyngyn @WedgeDawg
If their approach is logical and supported by good data management, yes.
I have seen some pitiful data management at some well-recognized schools, though.

Reactions: 1 users
If their approach is logical and supported by good data management, yes.
I have seen some pitiful data management at some well-recognized schools, though.
Care to specify the top schools?

Where did you get that information from? Why would a school waste time interviewing you if they were to just reject you after seeing the numbers for the second time? To me, you get the interview based on stats and what you have to say. You get the acceptance by showing you are altruistic, have an understanding of the profession, and are personable. Clarify a bit on this, please? :)

Furthermore, I especially challenge this when the person has been early interviewed.
Sure -- there are a number of ways this might happen. I believe @Goro is at one of the schools that doesn't pre-screen except for numerical cutoffs. Because the application isn't screened for other red flags, someone might still be invited for interview even though they have no business being there (IAs, felony, etc.).

For another example, I know of one school in my state that has posted numerical cutoffs but still invites people under those numbers. When rejected, people are told they didn't meet the cutoffs. Not sure where in the chain the disconnect comes from there.

Reactions: 1 user
1. 1 item about curriculum
2. 2nd item about curriculum
3. item about location (e.g. close to x family member, ability to perform an outside hobby such as skiing if it is cold, etc).