Wiche?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnTheOtherHand

The Voice of GeneCo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Colorado, so naturally as far as in-state schools go, UC Denver is literally the only game in town (or rather, in state). But I've been reading on UC Denver's website and it appears as though they give some preference to WICHE students (from Wyoming and Nebraska). I'm wondering, when med school application time rolls around for me, should I give preference to applying to WICHE schools first?

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Colorado, so naturally as far as in-state schools go, UC Denver is literally the only game in town (or rather, in state). But I've been reading on UC Denver's website and it appears as though they give some preference to WICHE students (from Wyoming and Nebraska). I'm wondering, when med school application time rolls around for me, should I give preference to applying to WICHE schools first?

I'm a CO resident too and am in the same boat.

I don't think you are given a preference. You may be given a little due to region, since schools may be more willing to accept you if you think you would stay in the area (especially true at state schools).

However, CU gives Wyoming and Montana students in-state preference because they don't have med schools. I'm pretty sure it works out so those students pay in-state tuition, but the rest of the OOS tuition they would pay is covered by their state of residence. Not 100% sure on that, but I remember hearing something like that. So, CU can accept them, train them, and don't mind as much if they end up returning to their home state.

I don't think we as CO residents are quite so lucky in surrounding states. Applying from CO pretty much means you get into CU, or prepare to leave and go pretty far, since many surrounding state schools are not OOS friendly (and Creighton is really the only private, "close" school).

Unless you are from Montana or Wyoming the WICHE program is pretty much useless for medical school admissions. You are right Barcu the states offset the cost difference between IS and OOS tuition with a "support fee" for those from Montana and Wyoming applying to WICHE states. There is some preference for those applicants from those two states, but I don't believe it is as high as being an actual resident for any of the WICHE program states.

Due to the severe lack of medical schools in the west, the few schools we do have are so competitive with their own state applicants that living in the region doesn't really mean much. So yes, other than Creighton your alternatives are dim at best if you are hoping to get into a western school other than your own state school. If you don't get into UC, you are likely bound for a school in the eastern half of the US. I do wish more private schools would open up satellite campus programs like what Creighton is doing down in Arizona as we all could certainly use more of them.

The WWAMI program works a little better than WICHE for those states without medical schools. University of Washington actually sets aside a certain number of seats for those states. Here is how it works in Alaska and is an interesting read so I thought I would share: http://biomed.uaa.alaska.edu/WWAMI%20FAQ%20Jan%2008.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah this is correct. I'm a Montana resident and I will also say unfortunately unless it is WWAMI the funding is not guaranteed. There certainly is a slight amount of preference given to Montana or Wyoming students but not the same as in state. I have received interview offers from every WICHE school I applied to so it must count for something.

In terms of not guaranteed funding, I can only speak for how it is done in Montana. Students from Montana are ranked and the funding goes from top to bottom- if you are at the bottom of the list no funding for you, or if the state decides to cut funding no funding for any number of these students. Then as a student you could end up paying for the whole out of state tab. Which would suck.

WWAMI on the other hand is guaranteed spots as you stated and pretty much guaranteed money. All students accepted get in-state levels.

Well on the bright side at least WICHE has probably helped you get interviews, and possibly could help with tuition at an OOS school which most of us won't get. Still, not quite the same as having your own state school. Hopefully you will get into the UW. No question those WWAMI students have a pretty sweet deal as far as school tution and loan repayment goes if they practice a few years in their home state. Even if they don't go back home it's a much better deal than what most residents get at their own state school (although the Alaska plan is much better than Montana's.) Good luck!