Wikipedia Usage/ Day Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How often do you use Wikipedia per day as a medical student for your classes?

• 1-3 times per day

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • 4-6 times per day

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • 7+ times per day

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Not at all. I use books and my class notes only.

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that a lot of quick knowledge I've gained has been from a wholly non-peer reviewed source, Wikipedia. But I can't be the only student who uses it couple times a day. How about you all?

Members don't see this ad.

I voted none at all but realistically use it maybe twice a week.

I use it quite often

You'll be surprised, wikipedia is more recently reviewed by top people in their fields. And honestly, sometimes their explanations are more straightforward than most books.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use it quite frequently...it simplifies explanations for me, and it's a great resource to look up unfamiliar words that i come across.

warning: the following tip may just double the frequency you look things up on wikipedia.

using firefox, right click on the search engine textbox and click "add a keyword for this search."

add anything you want in the name and put "w" for keyword.

now instead of going to wikipedia.org and typing in your search, just type w *string* and it will search automatically. for instance, "w medicine" goes directly to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine

edit: you can do the same for google.

I voted none at all but realistically use it maybe twice a week.
Same here. I don't usually study near a computer, and there isn't a whole lot of stuff that our lecturers/Robbins doesn't explain pretty thoroughly. I usually use Wikipedia for non-medical stuff. I did use it a fair amount more in my first year though.

I realize that a lot of quick knowledge I've gained has been from a wholly non-peer reviewed source, Wikipedia. But I can't be the only student who uses it couple times a day. How about you all?

I have to admit it adds a new twist to the old defn of peer reviewed. So you could argue it is reviewed, just in a somewhat different way.

I don't study near a computer, so I only use it a couple of times a week for school-related material. I look at it quite often though when I am just wasting my time, about once a day. I enjoy reading the articles on random topics.

Wikipedia is getting me through medical school.