Will a Dismissed MIP/Disorderly affect school apps/licensure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelloMyNameIs00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ADMINS - DELETE THIS THREAD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Lol. Made a new name to ask the same question again? Basing decisions like this on anonymous advice given online by predents is a mistake. Seek legal counsel.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol. Made a new name to ask the same question again? Basing decisions like this on anonymous advice given online by predents is a mistake. Seek legal counsel.
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, its a misdemeaner and a warning. That's like getting a speeding ticket and your mom yelling at you. Applications ask for felonies, which you didn't get, so why would you have to say anything?

Cacajuate is wrong. Misdemeanors can be reported too.

:rolleyes: He specifically states that he wasn't charged, did community service and it was wiped. Tell me why he would have to mention such a minor charge? Ohh yeah, I forget, we are in a forum full of kids that never have left a library.

Reactions: 1 user
My lawyer already told me he doesn't know how deep the Certiphi background check goes, so he doesn't have advice for me as far as dental school goes, just public records. So, I don't have any other choice but to ask the people on this site.

You can order a Certiphi background check prior to your AADSAS submission and see if anything comes up. If it does, then put it in.

Reactions: 1 users
From what I came up with I don't think you can order a Certiphi background check, you can only see the one AADSAS performs on you 10 days prior to them receiving it....if I'm wrong someone PLEASE direct me to the place to order one because that would be awesome.
Only certain schools require you to conduct a Certiphi background check, and that's only after you've been admitted. You can definitely order a background check on yourself, but not until you click "submit" on the AADSAS primary application. So, at least you'd have to luxury of knowing what shows up on your check before sending out your secondary applications, some of which ask you about your disciplinary/criminal record. Keep in mind, you'd need to pay to have the check conducted again if you're admitted.

From what I came up with I don't think you can order a Certiphi background check, you can only see the one AADSAS performs on you 10 days prior to them receiving it....if I'm wrong someone PLEASE direct me to the place to order one because that would be awesome.

Well it does show up on the background check, you have time to prepare for some answers for the supplements and interviews.

They aren't too open to the idea of library time in the Marine Corps.

Slumber gave you the best advice. If you can preorder a report, do it. If something does show up, you could be screwed even if it is a charge because the adcom might think you're a liar.

Are you positive about this though? Because from what I've heard AADSAS asks for felony/misdemeanor convictions, not charges. If that did come up on the background search, they should be able to see that I was never convicted. But at this point I think all I can do is wait.

I would do what the application tells you to do. Check your inbox.

Okay I made a new account just to reply to you lol
I was in the exact situation as you, got a MIP and did a pretrial program to expunge the record. I never went to court at all.
I didn't disclose the charge on my application or any of my secondaries, and chose not to discuss it at all in my interviews.
I got accepted into dental schools and did the certiphi background check that was required after acceptance. Well, THE CHARGE SHOWED UP ON THE BACKGROUND CHECK motherfkkkkk
Freaking out, I emailed the dental school I'm planning on attending and explained my situation, but they said that the charge didn't show up on their end at all, so I was cleared and I am attending that school in the fall.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's your choice whether or not you want to disclose it and risk the consequences if the school finds out. In my case, the school didn't care even though I ratted myself out in the end, but I feel like certain schools might? Like maybe Tufts, because during the interview they emphasized how important it was to be 100% transparent about your application, and I said nothing, and got rejected. I don't know if that rejection was in any way related to them finding out about my charge, though.

Hope I helped. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to speak with an attorney.

Misdemeanors are misnomers. Domestic violence / battery is 'just' a misdemeanor but will keep you out of most government jobs (police force, military, even running for Congress may well be a problem) and you'll never again be allowed to own a firearm (you lose your 2nd Amendment rights with what people mistakenly believe to be a lowly misdemeanor). Furthermore, making deals with courts would still keep you out of a government job because you have essentially plead guilty in their eyes (no HPSP or military options for you). When it comes to possession of banned substances, the charges were viewed in roughly the same way as domestic violence charges with respect to the military's officer programs (yes, even misdemeanors). Hell, there were guys wanting to go to OTS who had charges from their youth, had their records sealed, and were still unable to even apply to be an officer in the air force. It's my understanding that state licensing boards have the same access to your 'wiped' records that any federal entity does. That is to say, your record may be expunged, and the public may not be able to view it, but the government can and will use it against you if you plead guilty (pleaing in abeyance is, for all intents and purposes, pleading guilty).

That said, expunged records *shouldn't* show up to companies like Certiphi (there have been lawsuits over the kinds of things pidayeveryday said happened to him/her). It's important to remember that licensing boards, schools, government agencies, etc. aren't concerned much with whether you were charged with something. They're primarily worried about people who were either convicted or plead guilty to a crime they were charged with. The worst situation I can think of would be getting into dental school because Certiphi was unable to see an expunged record, but then being denied licensure because the state could see the record and disqualified you...

But, some consolation is in order. My childhood orthodontist was arrested for selling ecstasy to some of the mothers of his patients. Over a decade later and he's now a practicing orthodontist again.

Speak to an attorney.

Last edited:
Apologies, I didn't see that response. That said, your attorney should advise you regarding how this may affect your future and whether or not the charges can be reduced to something else or dropped altogether. It's not their job to know whether Certiphi can see expunged records, so you should contact Certiphi directly. To be extra safe, if it were me, I would order a background check of myself through Certiphi to see what it says before applying. That way, if Certiphi says one thing to you via an emailed response but delivers another on the actual background check, you can work with them directly to ensure that your background check adheres to their policies and standards. Having worked with Certiphi in the past through an administrative position I know that they are not supposed to show expunged records.

I PMed you.

I don't think that you need to worry too much at this point, though I know that it's hard not to. You weren't convicted of anything, which, as another poster mentioned above, is what professional schools are looking for.