Will A DUI on my record stop me from having a career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaulKing

pking1980
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in the pharmacy technician field. I know they do the DOJ and FBI background checks.

I'm new to this and I know I have a DUI i obtained in 2002 that comes up on my criminal record.

I'm from Riverside California and I want to know if i'll even be eligible to be a pharamcy technician if I have this on my record before I start school

also i'm trying to go the cheapest route possible to get educated on the field and was curious if these classes at my local community college would be of any validity.

somebody please help me out.

http://www.rcc.edu/programs/certific...s.cfm?code=111

http://www.rcc.edu/programs/certific...s.cfm?code=112

could someone answer the first question and then click these links and tell me if I were to enroll in these classes and take them through the year 2008 and somehow intern somewhere could I possibly be in the field by the end of next year.

Or do I have to get schooling elsewhere.

someone please give me some insight it'd be highly appreciated.

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, you are probably going to have to talk to someone with your state's Board of Pharmacy to find out what their rule is about having a previous DUI. I think this will vary from state to state. If you do apply, just make sure you are honest about it up front.

As far as taking the classes go... I didn't look at those particular ones, but I think you might be better off just getting a job at a local pharmacy and learning the trade that way. Lots of places will even pay for you to take the exam once you've worked for them a while. I personally think it would be much easier to learn in the working environment than from taking classes and reading books.

Honestly, you are probably going to have to talk to someone with your state's Board of Pharmacy to find out what their rule is about having a previous DUI. I think this will vary from state to state. If you do apply, just make sure you are honest about it up front.

As far as taking the classes go... I didn't look at those particular ones, but I think you might be better off just getting a job at a local pharmacy and learning the trade that way. Lots of places will even pay for you to take the exam once you've worked for them a while. I personally think it would be much easier to learn in the working environment than from taking classes and reading books.

will a pharmacy hire me being that I have NO PREVIOUS experience?

what's the normal pre-requisites to start at an entry level at a pharmacy?... is there none at all?

will a pharmacy hire me being that I have NO PREVIOUS experience?

what's the normal pre-requisites to start at an entry level at a pharmacy?... is there none at all?
Again, it really depends on your area, but they've hired people with no specific pharmacy experience at my workplace. Do you have a pharmacy school nearby? If so then places might be saturated with students and there might not be many openings.

Do you have customer service experience? Being good with people is a big plus. You could always get hired as a cashier/clerk at the pharmacy and then once you've proved yourself (and a position opens up) you could become a technician.

Just my 2 cents.

Again, it really depends on your area, but they've hired people with no specific pharmacy experience at my workplace. Do you have a pharmacy school nearby? If so then places might be saturated with students and there might not be many openings.

Do you have customer service experience? Being good with people is a big plus. You could always get hired as a cashier/clerk at the pharmacy and then once you've proved yourself (and a position opens up) you could become a technician.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks pharmagirl.

I kind of got an idea of which route i'm going to go now. Everybody has been real informative on this site. glad I came across it.

Now one thing I'm really concerned about is having my DUI being a reason to be denied my license.

it's the ONLY thing on my criminal record .. I just got results from a DOJ background check a week ago and it came up.

I don't know if it's cause for me to get denied. I'm just especially curious because I know it's a field involving drugs and that they might have some pre concieved notions because it has to do with alcohol.

HAS ANYONE EVER RECIEVED THEIR LICENSE WITH A DUI?

of know of anyone who has.