Will a ged hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justin984

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Removed]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
justin984 said:
Yes, im ashamed to admit that I'm a reformed high school drop out. I'm about to start my junior year of college with a 3.8 gpa and considering a switch to pre med. Will the fact that I never graduated high school hurt my chances of admission?

It will not hurt you one bit. They don't even care. I dropped out of high school (but then finished early via indp. study). I went on to do well in college and earned a J.D. I got into a top 10 school. Don't sweat it. The ADCOM's will likely look POSITIVELY upon the fact that you pulled yourself up by your boostraps, kicked butt in college, and are applying to their school.

Don't sweat it.

They only care about what you did in college. A GED may hurt your chances with colleges but once you're in college then it only matters what you're doing now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same thing here. Dropped out of school in the 9th grade due to pregnancy. Took a high school equivalency test for minors in California (CHSPE). YEARS later entered college and graduated at age 29. YEARS after that took the MCAT and applied... and now I'm going to be starting med school in August at the ripe old age of 35.

Heck, if I can do it, anybody can. But you *really* have to want it with all your heart, soul, etc. You get the picture.

Good luck!

justin984 said:
Yes, im ashamed to admit that I'm a reformed high school drop out. I'm about to start my junior year of college with a 3.8 gpa and considering a switch to pre med. Will the fact that I never graduated high school hurt my chances of admission?

So, if I understand correctly:

1) At some point, for whatever reason, life was kicking your ass
2) At some point later, you decided that going through life saying "Thank you sir, may I have another" didn't seem like a good idea.
3) At some point after that, you sucked it up, and did something about it.

I think the only problem you're going to have is when you are asked in an interview "What has been your biggest setback?" You'll have to give an answer that has to do with something other than the time your parents wouldn't buy you that pony you wanted.

Seriously though, if I were you, I would tout that Good Enough Diploma (Chris Rock) as much as I possibly could.

I think your bigger concern is timing. If you're entering your 3rd year, and you haven't taken gen chem, orgo, bio, or physics yet, you'll probably need more than 2 years to pull it off.

I did the post-bacc route (2nd career), and I went through all 4 courses in 18 months. But, I didn't have to contend with gen ed requirements for a BA/BS. With all that, and the MCAT, I think you'll be hard pressed to finish all of it in the next 2 years and still pull the crush grades and MCAT score to match your already impressive 3.8. If you plan this out, you can probably swing it in 3 years.

I wouldn't let that sway you, but I would try to plan it out if I were you. A 3.9 science GPA over 3 years looks infinitely better than a 3.4 science GPA over 2 years. It's not poker. 4 B's don't beat 3 A's. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

MsEvolution said:
Same thing here. Dropped out of school in the 9th grade due to pregnancy. Took a high school equivalency test for minors in California (CHSPE). YEARS later entered college and graduated at age 29. YEARS after that took the MCAT and applied... and now I'm going to be starting med school in August at the ripe old age of 35.

Heck, if I can do it, anybody can. But you *really* have to want it with all your heart, soul, etc. You get the picture.

Good luck!

I'm 33 and I'm starting in the fall. Hmm, we're old.

Just wanted to say I'm really glad I saw this thread. I thought I was the only pre-med with a GED! Lots of people tell you that it's not possible, but it definitely is. I'm proof of that! :D Now my only problem is choosing which school to go to!

--

Last edited:
A GED will not hurt you one bit.

I always thought HS was a waste of time anyway, but that's beside the point; no one is going to look at your HS transcript ever again.

Sounds like a good plan. Just keep you grades up and definitely get some clinical experience. Do not let anyone discourage you. Good Luck!

Justin,

Don't be ashamed of your GED.

Man you have a 3.84 in JC... Like I said before if you do that well at 4-year, you and I will have to thumb wrestle for that spot at UTSW!!! :p

Agape

justin984 said:

A GED is nothing to be ashamed of! Congrats to you for taking ownership of your past and moving forward in a new direction! :thumbup:

However, the one thing that comes to mind are that there are a few schools out there, who for some strange reason ask for your high school graduating class rank (Duke is the one I know for sure). Some schools asked for SAT scores but I am assuming you have those since you are in college. In any case these are the outliers but nevertheless its better to be informed as much as possible in the process. I wish you all the best!

I agree w/ the previous posters. A GED will not hurt you one bit, actually, this makes you a more interesting applicant, you've over-come many obstacles!

Good Luck To You All! :thumbup:

I think it will help u for similar reasons posted above...go for it.....allthe best.
I'm ur traditional pre-med bio major..so will stand out moreso when the adcoms r sending interview invites.