Will a good MCAT score help my post-bacc applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

varinia_007

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a current senior finishing my undergrad in neuroscience with a 2.9 GPA. Outside of my academics, I volunteer in local hospitals as a patient ambassador/greeter (over 250 hours so far), I write for the newspaper (mainly science and art-related articles), and I like to take online classes for the sheer interest of gaining knowledge. Also, I'm currently in the process of joining a psychology lab at my university.

I experienced some challenges regarding my mental health during my underclassmen years but was able to create an upward trend starting my sophomore spring semester, consistently getting a GPA of 3.0 and higher. During that time, I also learned better practices like mindfulness that helped me manage my personal life.

I'm well aware that I am in need of some academic record enhancement before applying to medical school, and I'm looking at potential post-baccalaureate programs. Assuming I was able to keep an upward trend in my grades, would a good MCAT score bolster my chances of getting into a good post-bacc program such as the U Penn Pre-Health Specialized Studies, and Harvard Extension School Program?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t recommend taking the mcat as the score might not be accepted by the time you’re ready to apply and it isn’t a test you want to take unless you are best situated to crush it. That being said having a strong mcat score probably won’t make a big difference in your postbac application as they are more concerned with grades. I did the program at HES and they are pretty open about doing some advising about whether or not the program will fit your needs. Even if the formal program doesn’t you can still enroll and take classes as needed which is what most of my peers did. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I'm a current senior finishing my undergrad in neuroscience with a 2.9 GPA. Outside of my academics, I volunteer in local hospitals as a patient ambassador/greeter (over 250 hours so far), I write for the newspaper (mainly science and art-related articles), and I like to take online classes for the sheer interest of gaining knowledge. Also, I'm currently in the process of joining a psychology lab at my university.

I experienced some challenges regarding my mental health during my underclassmen years but was able to create an upward trend starting my sophomore spring semester, consistently getting a GPA of 3.0 and higher. During that time, I also learned better practices like mindfulness that helped me manage my personal life.

I'm well aware that I am in need of some academic record enhancement before applying to medical school, and I'm looking at potential post-baccalaureate programs. Assuming I was able to keep an upward trend in my grades, would a good MCAT score bolster my chances of getting into a good post-bacc program such as the U Penn Pre-Health Specialized Studies, and Harvard Extension School Program?

Thank you in advance for your responses!
...well it can't hurt your app! :lol:
Lol seriously though, you will need to sit down and strategize about how and why your GPA is what it is. If you can figure that out, THEN you can assume an upward trend in your GPA during your post-bacc.

I would start by going over exams that didn't turn out well and doing a breakdown analysis for each problem; e.g. didn't trust my instincts, didn't eliminate answer options, etc. I found that usually when I got the answer wrong it was because I changed my answer, or I doubted myself.

If your ECs are cutting into study time, try to streamline them. Also keep in mind that you can take a gap year after undergrad to beef up your app (with ECs, research, volunteering, clinical exp, shadowing, etc.) but it is much harder to do GPA repair. Focus on getting the best grades possible right now; that should be your number one priority. Best of luck to you.

If you're consistently flat-lined on your classes over a period of time and then get a good MCAT, this will likely not be sufficient for programs to accept you. You need to at least establish a new pattern of say at minimum 30 units over 2-3 semesters of improved grades. I could see a lower ranked DO program taking a change on someone with a 3.2 with decent GPA that has trended in a positive way

Reactions: 1 user